[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The closet in my 3rd bedroom has 2 single bulb pull-chain light
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20151122_142201463.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151122_142201463.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
The closet in my 3rd bedroom has 2 single bulb pull-chain light fixtures in it.

I want to make this closet my network closet, but it does not have a plug in it.

I'd like to replace the 2nd fixture with a plug to power my modem, router, and PoE injector. Is this advisable?

If I was planning to plug a 1000 watt heater into this outlet, I'd absolutely run a new circuit, but these few electronics seem low power enough to not be an issue.

What are your thoughts? Picture related. It's the bulb.
>>
sure, why not.
>>
>>904837
Why not inject the PoE somewhere there actually is mains, and use PoE splitters to power your modem and router?
>>
>>904841
But not grounded. It's easy enough to replace the fixture with an actual plug.

>>904847
My modem and router aren't powered by PoE. They need to plug in. Just my AP is PoE.
>>
>>904847
Oh, and to answer your question: this is the most optimal location for a network closet. I'd like to have the modem, router (later a switch), and PoE injectors all located in one spot.
>>
File: tl-poe10r[1].jpg (22 KB, 600x532) Image search: [Google]
tl-poe10r[1].jpg
22 KB, 600x532
>>904849
>My modem and router aren't powered by PoE.
That's what the PoE splitter is for. You plug them in to the PoE splitter instead of their wall-wart.
>>
>>904849
You'd have to open up the box and see. It might not have a ground anyway if the box is old enough.
>>
>>904852
Huh. Interesting. I didn't know this was a thing. I go research now. Thanks!

Either way, this is where I'd like the PoE injected, so the question of whether it's safe/advisable still remains.
>>
>>904837
if it was me i would put in a new socket
on a separate circuit
with its own rcbo
>>
>>904862
if op is making a network closet op will be running cables around the house anyway?
>>
>>904849
>But not grounded.
are your modem or router going to notice?
>>
>>904865
Not to the extent that a new circuit would require. The breaker is located on the complete opposite side of the house.

>>904880
Well... touche I say.
>>
>>904841
Oink oink!
>>
>>904862
bro that is overkill and u know it
>>
>>904897
converting a closet into a comms cabinet is overkill.
cost for some wire and a socket is competitive with all this poe bullshit
>>
File: 36602291.jpg (43 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
36602291.jpg
43 KB, 298x298
if it was me i'd do picture related. as the screw in ones and the light socket are probably only rated at 100 watts, which might seem like lots but you also need to run an extension cord and power bar, etc and the 100 watts adds up fast.
>>
>>904898
OP almost certainly has a Ubiquiti AP, which is only powerable using PoE.
>>
>>904899
Agreed!
>>
>>904898
PoE is best when the AP is being located on the ceiling in the center of the house. All OP has to do is run ethernet to that location and boom wifi everywhere in house.
>>
>>904910
ap poe is fine i have no issue with that
using 2 poe splitters and having to run an ethernet cable to supply power to the router and shit anyway instead of running a power cable seems silly to me
>>
>>904837
>>
>>904920
While this would work, too, it doesn't answer the question of whether I should be worried about overloading a circuit. It seems most of you don't think it would be an issue?

>>904917
I think I'm in agreement with you. The PoE splitters are cool, but using them to power my router and modem isn't going to resolve my issue. I need a plug in this closet.

>>904903
You'd be right.

>>904898
I won't disagree with you. I'm just tired of my AP being located on the wall in the bedroom and the router, modem and related being double-sided taped to the back of my dresser in said bedroom. Moving all these items to this closet seems like a good move.
>>
>>904928
Your router and ap and every thing is approximately going to be like 1 amp all together. You could make that up by switching to an LED bulb. And an overloaded circuit, properly wired, will just trip the breaker, not do anything exciting.
>>
>>904928
>I need a plug
the opposite, you need a socket
you have too many plugs if anything.

i wasn't saying it was overkill as in don't do it, i'm saying if you are going to do it you may as well overdo it. get a ups while you are at it.
>>
>>904937
Yeah yeah, sockets.

I'm trying not to spend a ton here.
>>
>>904837
The thing to keep in mind is that lighting circuits are usually switched at the breaker on a 15 amp circuit, while typical general purpose outlets are 20 amps.

Your first consideration in this venture is to figure out what load is already on the circuit and what it is rated for.

Then find out what load your equipment will add to the circuit. A rule of thumb is to keep your load at 80% of the rating. That is to say 12 amps on a 15 amp circuit, and 16 on a 20.
>>
>>904983
Thank you. This should be interesting as it's an older home that's had a few remodels over the years.
>>
>>904928
switching a light to an receptacle more then likely won't overload the circuit as you're not adding load you're just changing it. Also on a lighting circuit more then likely it's maxed out on number of item vs number of watts/amps.

>>904983
typical receptacle circuits are 15 amps. In newer houses they may be 20 amp, but that's far from typical.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.