[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard would it be to insulate and run electricity to a steel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: garages6.jpg (20 KB, 670x325) Image search: [Google]
garages6.jpg
20 KB, 670x325
How hard would it be to insulate and run electricity to a steel garage kit? I'm having to move my gym out of my spare bedroom cause baby and want to buy one of these to turn into a gym/workshop.
>>
>>904592
Is it a kit that is designed to be insulted and have electrical run to it? Then not so hard.
Not so much? Well then probably harder.

Have any other vague questions without enough detail you want answered?
>>
>>904603

How do I make my dick bigger? I can't satisfy big Amazon women. snu snu anon snu snu!
>>
>>904612
You can swell your dick with a Brazilian Wandering spider.
You'll be in immense pain and die after several hours but atleast the Amazoness will be happy.
>>
>>904592
insulate via spray insulation, needs to be setup properly to do it right. Electricity depends on your usage, if used for heating, get a electrician, otherwise look at solar units for farmers for decent prices.
>>
>>904663
The problem with spray foam is it needs to be covered with something, usually drywall, which is next to impossible with a steel building kit.

When you buy the kit OP, you need to buy the insulation package that goes with it, otherwise it will be impossible to insulate properly. Personally, if you want the inside finished to make a gym, build out of wood. Those steel buildings are really only for unfinished garages or really big buildings.
>>
>>904592
Just work out harder until you can no longer feel the cold.
>>
>>904592
Why not put the baby there instead?
>>
>>904687
>it needs to be covered with something
I respectfully disagree. I've been looking in to spray foam insulation, some can stay exposed.
also OP, trench an electrical line in and run everything inside in conduit.
>>
File: aleve.jpg (38 KB, 705x365) Image search: [Google]
aleve.jpg
38 KB, 705x365
>>904703
yeah the baby's gonna have to learn to deal with the cold sooner or later, may as well be sooner.

this will make for a more robust baby.
>>
>>904592
Seems like almost the same amount of work to build one out of wood w barn door, so you can use regular insulation and framing etc.
It's going to be the same price or cheaper than a kit, and the insulation will be like 3-4 times the price of either.
>>
>>904751
Really? I can buy a 30x40x12 steel garage kit for $12K. It excludes cost of pouring foundation and garage doors. Didn't know I could build one that size with wood.
>>
File: CG[1].jpg (50 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
CG[1].jpg
50 KB, 1024x768
>>904780
That's one big-ass garage kit. I'd have wood too.
>>
>>904790

It'd be for storing my 65 Impala, gym, storage for fishing gear and holiday shit, and possibly a work bench on the back/side. My gym is currently in a 10x11 bedroom so doesn't take up much space.
>>
File: scMjkgK.png (4 KB, 418x514) Image search: [Google]
scMjkgK.png
4 KB, 418x514
Could possibly fit 2 cars in a 24x30.

Brown is cars.
Yellow is a 12x12 gym area.
Pink is storage shelves/work counter with hanging tool cabinets on the shelves.
>>
>>904792
Well this became infinitely easier.

Tou just build a room out of 2x4s and drywall. The garage is big enough to build one in the corner and barely notice the missed space. Then insulation/electric is easy.

Hire an electrician.

Source: my grandpa built a room to house his massive library of car repair manuals and fishing gear

Room was huge but you didn't miss the space at all
>>
>>904780
look at pole barns. looks like somewhere in the 6-8k range for a 30x40x10 kit, cheaper if you do it yourself, you only HAVE to pour posts, not a foundation for the whole garage if you don't want to, you can just gravel/asphalt the car area and build a platform/mini room for the workshop area.
Pretty much the only downside is you need to have a post every 16' minimum, so you'll have a few lines of posts down the middle of the garage (which you can run electric conduit down so you have convenient powerboxes for power.)

Or you could build yourself, get the roof up, and then put on siding/insulation yourself. try to use aluminum or plastic for the bottom bit to avoid rot issues. then frame up the walls between the posts with insulation and drywall or paneling or what have you. if you're going to leave it exposed, use stone wool or foam board (if allowed by building code), fiberglass will fuck you up even if paper vapor barrier covered. Or you could get a company in and do the spray in liquid foam insulation stuff.

A barn door (either track or double opening) would be cheaper because you can build it out of wood and insulate it, but it wouldn't be motorized.
And that is a huge building for >>904792
you really only need like a 20x20 at the most, the impala should fit in a 6'x18' space if you're careful, so that would be more than enough space for the woorkroom etc, you'd have a solid 12x20 (I'm assuming 6" for insulation and framing all around, so actual area is 19x19, but still).
>>
>>905041

Watched some YouTube videos on building garages. What if I build the frame out of wood, 1/2" plywood on the outside with vinyl on top of that. On the inside would be standard insulation and drywall. Would run electric, heating, cooling, and plumbing outside the wall like in industrial loft condos. And then possibly barn style door. I don't need a motorized garage door, but I would like electric for heating, cooling, and general stuff. I would hire somebody to pour the foundation and build the frame and trusses. I could do the plywood, vinyl, roofing, insulation, and drywall myself with some help. Then get somebody to run electric and install a small HVAC unit.

Would that cost less than $25K?

I would prefer more space than I "need"
>>
>>904718
there may be some now that don't give off toxic fumes in a fire, but all foam photodegrades.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.