[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello friends, I have a pretty weird question about something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9
File: bayonet-doppler-phase-4[1].jpg (281 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bayonet-doppler-phase-4[1].jpg
281 KB, 1920x1080
Hello friends, I have a pretty weird question about something i want to try. I want to paint a knife like the Doppler knives from CS. There's some attempts to do it on youtube but they always use nail polish and the knives end up lumpy and gross. I'm going to be using Testors enamel paints and actual paint brushes to try and keep it as clean as possible. My question is what order should i pain the knife in? the knife is matte black so im thinking silver base coat, blue coat, then gloss black coat on top of that. should i do a black coat over the silver then a blue coat then another black coat? any tips or tricks are appreciated!

It has been painted with black and silver metallic paints using a marbleizing medium, then candy coated. Getting lost in its color can prove fatal
>>
File: sedp86a.png (974 KB, 645x833) Image search: [Google]
sedp86a.png
974 KB, 645x833
>>904090
more reference material
>>
>>904091
>>
>>904090
heat treat

google temper or heat treat colors
>>
>>904094
there are indeed case hardened skins that i would like to try making at another time but right now i really want to paint this one. thanks m8
>>
>>904090
Can you go to one of those "water wrapping" places for like graphics and shit? Id assume youd get exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>904100
yea man i actually thought of that too but i'd like to make this the hard way with my own hands haha
>>
>>904090
>I'm going to be using Testors enamel paints and actual paint brushes

Why not air brush or rattle can with masking tape as needed?
>>
>>904103
New anon here.

I agree that you should achieve the look through heat treating. There are a lot of different processes for it and you can control the color and pattern of it a lot.

If you insist on paint, it's going to look like the other youtube guys doing it with nail polish or whatever.

I say you may as well use tabletop model paint.
>>
fucking sage
>>
>>904090
you can make it blue if you make a blueing tray
clickspring on youtube has a good video on it

its basically a tray full of brass shavings to evenly heat the metal till it turns blue
>>
How can a knife utilise the Doppler effect?
>>
Heat treat it or it's going to look like ABSOLUTE SHIT. It ain't fucking hard to do.
>>
>>904090
I am going to go ahead and say that cosplaying as generic henchman no.2 in public with a realistic looking weapon is a good way to get shot
>>
>>904110
Or airbrush the nail polish.

Or do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtLGPgSH6Kg
>>
>>904223
this

there is no paint that can mimic the metallic surface with this sort of blue atomic color because it is a combination of color and metal and makes it a unique surface
>>
>>904231
nothing like that.

>>904263
I don't expect it to look exactly like the game of course. I just want advice on how to make a cool "galaxy" effect with the paint i have.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (235 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
235 KB, 1920x1080
>>904433
I will repost here when i'm finished so you can all laugh at how shit the knife turns out but i'll do my best
>>
>>904094
If you heat treat the knife. Which has already been heat treated you'll ruin the knife you kek.

Gun blue it. This is an easy one you clowns
>>
>>904090
Thats called anodizing if i am correct.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N07NpyXisRg
>>
people hear keep saying heat treat not acid etching.
>>
Heating the metal to get oxydation colors is pretty, but a very thin layer that will wear off quickly. Also it will ruin the knife. Don't do it, it's stupid.

Use gun blueing solution and vaseline. Spread the goop on the blade, then wipe it off unevenly. Run it under some hot tap water over it maybe. Dip the gooped knife in the solution and it will etch the parts that are not covered by the goop. Practice on scrap first.
>>
Buy a titanium bladed knife and look up Mr Titanium’s Introduction to Anodising Titanium. Apply knowledge.

Job done.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 640x1136
I said I would post a pic when I was done. this was the trial runs result so next time hopefully I can make it come out better. used about 3 or 4 coats of gloss enamel model paint then clear coated with krylon gloss clear coat. I'm gonna try to find a better way to clear coat for a better "shine".
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 640x1136
>>905381
and the "pink Galaxy" side. I wish I could anondize these knives but that's a little more serious than I'm equipped for.
>>
>>905381
>>905382
that looks plastic and cheap, not sure what you are trying to achieve
>>
File: 1314478055477.jpg (85 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
1314478055477.jpg
85 KB, 600x476
>>905439
it's metal and i paid $10~ for it in china town. maybe i can impress you with the next one, senpai
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.