[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The new house I rented has hospital's white floor, bright
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: serveimage.jpg (140 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
140 KB, 720x540
The new house I rented has hospital's white floor, bright white walls and bright white cold lamps. I'm trying to improve the mood of the place and since I don't have money to paint the walls, my last option is redoing the lighting.

We don't have IKEA on my country so I tried diffusing the light with cream yellow paper and orange/yellow polyester fabric but they don't give the proper atmosphere.

Any ideas? Do I need to have more than one light source? I'm having trouble finding interior lighting 101 on google. I read that the lighting should emulate sunlight but how exactly is this achieved? I always end with too yellow or too orange tones.
>>
Lower wattage bulbs or dark lamp shades
>>
..pair of ray-bans, and good is.

You get 'daylight' (light-spectrum emulating) bulbs, but they are really, really fucking white and not what your wanting at all.

Just use a mixture of different sources, lower wattage, proper incandescent bulbs, pref. on a dimmer - maybe, some uplighters, 2nd hand shop will have something old-school with a heavy shade - LED's are really, really, not what you are wanting either, srsly.
>>
>>902281
Isn't possible to keep the cold lamps but shade them in a way I get the same light from an incandescent bulb?
>>
>>902291
Hmmm.. 'cold' lamps + filter, results may vary, from useless to even worse, depends on your source, xactly. The problem, most (newer/efficient/crap) bulbs have a very limited spectrum, it is easier to filer by removal - you cannot add what isn't there to start with. OK:

LEDs + filter ? = nope.
flourescents (tube things) + filter ? = not great, but, if nothing else..
tungsten, metal halide, etc. + filter? = works gut, but, gotta watch temperature. Like really watch temperature. An example, those fucking 20-50w mini tracklight things, generally run way too hot to be filtered easily anyway.

basically, as said - you be easier just adding a few different lower-powered sources with incandescents.

You are gonna use filters tho? - go find a local theatre or something, and borrow a few sheets of actual proper filter, red/purple/yellow/orange whatever - or ebay some and experiment. Decent light filter sheets will at least accept a bit of temperature, but not even these should be touching the actual source/bulb. Paper, fabric, etc. - depending on bulb? - your apartment may end up looking very warm indeed. And quickly. No shit.

Srsly, 2nd hand an old-school floor lamp with heavy shade or something, makes a world of difference.
>>
>>902262
go LED, if you dislike white, aboid "daylight" and go for "softwhite" the softwhite is the yellow/orange color of a traditional bulb
>>
stagecraft fag here. just order some gels lmao
>>
>>902262
>The new house I rented has hospital's white floor, bright white walls and bright white cold lamps.

Sounds great. I wish I lived in a sterile white place with sexy cool blue light.
>>
>>902262
Not aure what country you are in, but look for the lowest kelvin (k) bulb you can. The color you are looking for is 2300k to 2800k light. Most incadescent are this color unless it says daylight, then its 4500k to 5000k. There is an intermediate 3200k that is decent also. These numbers should be on the packaging, if not, look up the bulb online for this rating. Also look at watts, if its flourescent, look around a 7 to 9 watt (this is u.s. figures).
>>
>>902262
>I read that the lighting should emulate sunlight but how exactly is this achieved?
Check the K value of the light you get.
>Do I need to have more than one light source? I'm having trouble finding interior lighting 101 on google
As for how to design good lighting (ignore britishness): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHk7yRu7_K4
>>
>>902262
you need chandeliers or darker shades over the bulbs to bring a more chill mood into the house.

painting the walls dark red could do justice. wallpaper can work but patterns could bring down the vibe.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.