[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home made fuels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (451 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
451 KB, 1200x1600
Olay /diy/ first post here. Wondering something about home made fuels. How does one make kerosene at home from scratch (best material being wood for me as it is in abundance here)
>>
>>900907

What are you fueling? Is this just for heat? It's hard to assume what you mean, since this is /diy/, and I've seen some shit.
>>
>>900911
Yeah like crude basic heating and cooking stuff nothing super refined. I'm interested in it.
>>
>>900916
Wood alone is a great option. Its cheap, easy to get, carbon neutral and renewable. Look into efficient methods of burning wood, like rocket stoves, inserts, etc.
>>
>>900907
Kerosene is a derivative of petroleum. You will never be able to turn wood into oil.

You can, however, make methanol. It's fairly simple, but very, very dangerous. As in "the process can make you very very ill, if you breath in to much vaporized methyl alcohol". Basically, put wood in a still, apply lots of heat.
>>
>>900928
Doesn't this make turpentine?
>>
>>900946
That too, and tar and vinegar and all kinds of other shit as well. Depends on wood. That's a very wasteful way to produce fuel, though.
>>
>>900907
Nice try fbi
>>
File: Generator_Gas.png (438 KB, 2494x3286) Image search: [Google]
Generator_Gas.png
438 KB, 2494x3286
In theory you could turn wood into a fuel oil by pyrolysis down to carbon then steam reforming or gasification then using the hydrogen and carbon monoxide as an input to a Fischer-Tropsch process... basically the same way that European countries make synthetic gasoline with an added dry distillation on the front end and no nasty cracking to get useable gasoline on the back end.

BUT you would have to be a level 99 wizard at organic chemistry to even contemplate such a thing... and rich / VERY resourceful.

if you have such an abundance of wood, why not just build a gasifier and use the wood gas for heat / electricity?
>>
>>901098
meant to say: the same way that European countries make synthetic petrol from coal
>>
>>901098
Hah wow. Good summary
>>
>>901098
That's actually perfect Anon, I guess the thing I was thinking of is fuel I can give to people and trade with but I guess having my own is the most important part.
>>
File: 1440141367046.gif (500 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
1440141367046.gif
500 KB, 500x494
>>900907
>>901137
Hah. I read that screencap too, I have it around here somewhere. Makes you want to play Metro, don't it?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.