[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to make a ring for my significant other for Christmas.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: production.jpg (182 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
production.jpg
182 KB, 1200x700
I want to make a ring for my significant other for Christmas.

This is far out of DIY realm, I'm use to working with wood, but I would like this to be made out of some type of metal. If I'm able to put sometime of stone in it, than that would be cool. But not a requirement.

Not looking to put a diamond in it, but some stone if that's possible.

I'm looking for someone to point me in a guide or a right direction. Looked through the google helpful links and didn't see anything.
>>
There are plenty tutorials on how to make a silver ring from a coin. Be creative. Putting a stone in it shouldn't be too hard.
>>
>>900592
What about a wire wrapped ring OP? you can set stones in it. There's a guy [and ill post a link if I can find it before submitting this.] who does these really neat wire woven rings.. does like Celtic inspired patterns and such. and you don't really need much, just a ring sizing bar doohicky some various pillars an snips. some silver wire, a small torch and some soft silver solder.

then its just youtube videos from there.
>>
>This is far out of DIY realm
UUUU
>>
File: spin.gif (1017 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
spin.gif
1017 KB, 500x500
Bump.
>>
If you have a kiln you should read about lost wax casting
>>
>>902380
I need to put this constantly going in a table somehow.
>>
>>900592
You've got some time to learn and practice, so you might as well put it to use. Silver isn't that hard to work with, nor does it require any particularly expensive tooling to make simple rings. Stone settings can be somewhat more difficult, but simple solid wraps should be doable within a month. So long as you have some soldering experience, it should be pretty easy.
>>
>>900592
Probably not enough time left but my community college has jewelry making classes that come in and fuck up all our tools. I can't speak to how good they are, just that they exist.
Might be worth a look if you're out of ideas
>>
Copper is a good metal for rings. I'd start with that
>>
>>902708
What? And turn fingers green? Nah, OP go for silver (and think about reconsidering about the ring part, they have to much meaning that could be read into them). For craft in school we got to do some silver stuff. Can't have had more than two days to finish in (did have the tools though). Could probably post a picture tomorrow if there is interest in what 13-year old me though of a nice.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.