[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Carpenters here? I'm planning to get into the coffin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: coffin.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
coffin.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
Any Carpenters here?

I'm planning to get into the coffin making business, you see, I rent a warehouse to a bunch of carpenters who make pallets and they say they'd like to make coffins but they need some kind of expensive, special, cutting machine so I'm considering on providing it if the business is lucrative enough.

So, is a special cutting machine it really necessary to make coffins or can you make them with with basic power tools?

Also, what general advise would you give to someone who is thinking on getting into carpentry?
>>
>>897078
maybe they want a CNC router for embellishments
>>
>>897078
>>897083
Yeah...any jackass could make a simple coffin. They probably want something for detail work, so someone will actually buy it.
>>
CNC router would run about $20k, maybe more. You might want to look into regulations surrounding coffins/caskets in your area. I don't know if hermetic seals are a requirement everywhere, but in some locations it is. Don't want corpse juice leaching into the groundwater, do we?
>>
>>897102
Speak for yourself.
>>
OP Here:

Thanks for the input guys. I started reading about CNC cutters and came across the "Creation Station", an open source CNC router that was funded on kickstarter a few months ago.

Does anyone have an opinion on that or CNC in general?
>>
>>897145
cnczone.com is probably the best place to ask
>>
There are no hermetic seals on caskets. They all leak, even the "sealed" metal ones. Down here in Florida they float, fill with water, all sorts of shit.

Handmade all wood caskets with quality finishes and simple adornments are marketable. Look into Trappist caskets (made by monks) and Jewish caskets.

If you want a consultant my family has been in the funeral business for over 50 years. You can email me at [email protected] we may even become future customers.
>>
>>897102
where can i buy corpse juice?
>>
>>897078
>I rent a warehouse to a bunch of carpenters who make pallets and they say they'd like to make coffins but they need some kind of expensive, special, cutting machine

Have you tried ASKING them what that machine is, and why they'd need it?
>>
Thee is nothing a cnc machine can do that proper hand tools cannot. In fact hand tools can do more things than a cnc machine.

However a cnc machine starts at a master's level of detail and precision, and you would be hacking on expensive wood.

PS, calling pallet nailers carpenters is like calling yourself a mechanic because you changed your oil filter.
>>
>>897245
>PS, calling pallet nailers carpenters is like calling yourself a mechanic because you changed your oil filter
I'd have said 'air filter' as that is even easier to do and you don't have to even get under the car.
>>
I'm sure rules/regs are different everywhere... don't they usually put the coffin into a larger concrete box (with lid) when its time to go into the ground?
>>
>>897229
You gotta dig up a fresh one and juice it.
>>
>>897078
You don't need no stinkin CNC machine!

All you need is a table saw and somebody who knows wtf they're doing.

If you listened to everyone on this board they'd have you buying CNC machines, 3D printers, and lathes. All 3 of which you'd never use and never get a return on your investment.
>>
>>897269
I'd say it's better to wait a week or two - up to a month depending on the weather - until you dig it up for juicing. Too early and you won't get the max amount of juice out of it, and too late and the juice will taste sour.
>>
OP here again:

>>897172
Thanks for the info, unfortunately, I'm not in the US.

Also, thanks everyone else, I've been looking into the the casket making progress and I'm seriously considering starting a business of my own, rather than associating with the pallet nailers that rent my warehouse.

I'll build a small scale casket in the weekend to get a notion of what I'm getting into (and also, just for the hell of it).

I'll post pictures in this thread if it's still around.
>>
These guys like wtf
https://youtu.be/lQ6yyyCgGqo
>>
Carpenter here, used to work in a custom cabinet shop

basic shop tools youll need
-Heavy duty router (routing over a half inch of material)
-Regular router, with jig bits (bearing on top) others with bearing on the bottom for laminate and such. Bullnose bits etc.
-table saw
-jointer
-circular saw
-belt sanders
-air compressor with staple gun and pinners and such, attachment for spraying lam glue, and spray finishing
-miter box
-planer
-drills and such

Im sure im forgetting shit
>>
File: juice.jpg (9 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
juice.jpg
9 KB, 256x197
>>897284
Until now, there was only one way to get juice from a corpse!
>>
>>897145
Student here
Couple of my classmates had a week-long project with CNC routers
they learned it in a week
I'd say it's a good investment, provided you have a graphic designer that will detail your coffins
>>
>>897078
>a bunch of carpenters who make pallets and they say they'd like to make coffins

what's the galvanization point for a bunch of pallet makers to decide they need to make coffins? pallet buyer do them wrong?
>>
Op make a trap door at the bottom so you can drop the bodies into the hole as it sits over it then claim resurrection or someshit lol

Also make extra fat caskets and sell them in the south
>>
>>897172
>There are no hermetic seals on caskets. They all leak, even the "sealed" metal ones
And for a good reason, too. If they are hermetically sealed, the buildup of gases inside caused by decomposition can lead to an explosion.
>>
>>897273
Depends. Prison/paupers funeral grade caskets are marketable and can be made with a table saw.

But for anything anyone would consider buying, a router for example would be useful for putting anything other than a square edge on the corners. Your pallet nailers would also need upholsterers and finishers.

But really, I agree with the previous posters who suggested cnc mill. This is how joinery and cabinetmaking is done these days. All the cutting is computerized, the cabinet makers and joiners just carry flatpack kits to a site and assemble
>>
>>897078
>Special Cutting machine
I'm asuming Nepotism
>>
>>897486
Also a carpenter.

I could get rid of the miter box.. give me a bevel and a bandsaw instead.

Random orbital sander.
chisel set.
tablesaw with an extendable fence.
bradder
jigsaw

and lots and lots of tung oil
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.