[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solar Powered PC?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1460944139558.png (184 KB, 481x481) Image search: [Google]
1460944139558.png
184 KB, 481x481
Hello /diy/
I am but a humble desert dwelling third worlder south of the USA.

I am looking to nigger rig me a deep cycle battery solar powered UPS for my shitty workstation as to deal with the usual summer KwH price hikes that swarm us here.

Googled around but all I could find was get shit from Harbor Freight (Doable, since I live near the border) that costs a shitton compared to my humble coin.

How could I go into building something not so costly from OEM parts I could get from Alibaba?

I know almost jackshit about converting AC to DC or whatever voltages a PC uses and to not have it get fried on me.

If it helps, it's a shitty Asus Essentio Series desktop with the A8 chip/7470 GPU, 12GB RAM and a 325W PSU.
Tripcoding just for this thread.
Any pointers, amigos?
>>
>>986194
You wouldn't be online right now becuase it;s night phaggit
>>
>>986194
I've read that people switch to laptops to drastically reduce power consumption. That said, you need to determine how much power your system will consume & how long you want to run it. Also need to determine how much sunlight & size of array you will need to be able to refill your batteries to cover your needs.

You'll need:

PV's (size to be determined)
Charge controller
Deep cycle batteries
Pure sine-wave inverter.

Quick and dirty way is to get some panels up, wire them to the charge controller (as short of runs possible to avoid line loss), to the batteries, and a sine-wave inverter of at least 500 watts output.

I tried to run a 1.2 GHz AMD Athlon system that used 275 W off a 300 W digital inverter connected to a single 12V RV deep cycle/starting battery and it started acting funny. Plus the inverter was hard pressed to keep up. The cooling fan ran full blast on it and it sounded like a blowdryer.

Those dual use batteries are a poor compromise, they do a poor job either way. But I got them from work as surplus so the price was right, and I only wanted to experiment before committing to a pair of Trojan 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries.

Ideal method:
Monocrystalline type PV
an MPPT type charge controller
The biggest deep cycle batteries you can afford with fusing (short ccts and battery fires are scary as fuck).
Pure sine-wave inverter with low voltage cutoff. (lv cutoff will help protect the batteries from being too deeply discharged).

Hope this helps.
>>
>>986212
>>986212
I usually just run CAD programs on it, so I doubt it consumes as much as a gaminc/memecoin digging rig pc would.

Sunlight exposure isn't a problem, we rarely get overcast days so i would not need to switch to mains power as often (perhaps at night if I do need to keep working.)

Tis' will do as for the initial research. Thanks a lot.

>>986195
I sleep at night faggit
>>
>>986385
>>986212

> pure sine-wave inverter
> deep cycle batteries
> charge controller

nigger are you retarded? what the fuck are you thinking?

> LITERALLY WHAT THE FUCK IS A RASPBERRY PI??????????
>>
>>986405
>> LITERALLY WHAT THE FUCK IS A RASPBERRY PI??????????

Could this be the mythical thread where a mem-pi is actually the best answer?
>>
>>986413
can meme pi actually compare with
>> the A8 chip/7470 GPU, 12GB RAM and a 325W PSU.
>>
Skip the inverter, everything inside runs on DC
>>
>>986429
It depends what you're actually doing.

If you don't actually use any of that shit, then yes it can.
>>
Shit dude, a worksation requires a shitload of power
>>986429
Oh wait, you call that a worksation? Explains much, very well you'll need a lot of solar power, so it will be expensive, USD OR MXN, that shit will cost $1K plus in both currencies.
>>
>>986194
>I am but a humble desert dwelling third worlder south of the USA.
>I am looking to nigger rig me a deep cycle battery solar powered UPS for my shitty workstation as to deal with the usual summer KwH price hikes that swarm us here.
My thoughts.... (I am not an expert)
1. solar electricity is usually way more expensive than utility power. It's a nice idea (free energy that is quiet and clean) but the cost of the solar panels and storage battery systems is pretty enormous, compared to other methods.
2. third-world sites that need off-grid power usually use a diesel generator. If they have enough money to be picky, then there is a specific type called a Lister diesel that is considered the best for this.
3. Solar electricity works great in desert areas that have nearly-constant daylight clear skies. On a cloudy day a solar panel may only out out 20% of what it does during clear skies. For most of the rest of the world, you would see a better return if you used a small windmill generator--assuming you can mount it on a reasonable tower or other high point.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.