[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY - /Tools/ thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: tools.jpg (232 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
tools.jpg
232 KB, 1024x768
Hey /diy/ers makers,
let's have a Tools Thread. Discussions, Queries & Requests all about tools.
>>
File: kut.jpg (179 KB, 1242x1500) Image search: [Google]
kut.jpg
179 KB, 1242x1500
I'm thinking on the need of a bandsaw, do you think it viable to cut 200x120x2600mm logs of oak into smaller chunks, glue them, then make 30mm boards out of them ?

Long story: I've for the moment used a few plain wood on my projects. Mostly plywood, MDF and isorel. I was recently trying to get hands on some birch and poppler plywoods for a prioject. It's kinda impossible to get some.
So thinking about getting a bandsaw to cut them is nice.. I've seen some Metabo tools at afordable pricings. Can a 300$ bandsaw eat 9 feet logs easily or is it just useless to think about it ? Is this budget too low for a descent work ?

Thinking about going for plain wood is a natural step into woodworking and a bandsaw is a necessary tool for me now, If I want to craft better tables top and so on... I'm open to your advises.
>>
>>884658

A 9ft log is a little unwieldy for a bandsaw. How about using a chain saw mill first? Also, jointing 9 ft planks would be a bitch I'd think unless you routed the edge with a tongue/groove.
Hope your wood isn't green either, shit has to air dry a few years or rent out a kiln.
>>
What are some brands to look for at garage sales or estate auctions?

Real old world craftsmanship style
>>
>>884658
>>884728

Yeah, it's not as simple as cut down a tree and build.

Wood goes through alot of change over years of 'curing'.
>>
>>884772

I don't want to palm you off with another youtuber but have a look at Matthias Wandel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckETVOT59aYw80B36aP9vw

I learned alot about workshop woodworking tools from his channel.
>>
>>884728
>Hope your wood isn't green either, shit has to air dry a few years or rent out a kiln.
That's a good point. I was watching at supplies where I usually buy my plywood and saw in the list logs of Oak. They sell it for House building. I guess it's already dry enough since it's made for weighting roof structures. The price was really affordable, about 35$.
>>
>>884728
>>884806

Going to post appropriate woodgears video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4PSCwjKqKc

The issue with chainsaw mills is they turn a TON of wood into chips compared to a bandsaw mill. i think a 3/8" kerf vs 1/8"?
So over a 2' wide log milled into 2x boards (plain sawn) you get just over 8 full sized boards of wood, and another 1.5" thick board (including the shitty end boards that are lots of bark)
With a band mill, you would get just over 11 2" thick boards. Also, bandsaw mills tend to be a slightly finer finish on the boards, so if they don't warp too much while drying, you need to plane less off to get a good surface.

To be fair though, a commercial bandmill is a few k to buy, a chainsaw mill is a few c's.
>>
File: 51khtB+By6L._SL1001_.jpg (55 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
51khtB+By6L._SL1001_.jpg
55 KB, 1001x1001
How and when those bits are used ?
>>
>>885346
Those are used in metal when one wants to drill a hole of a larger size without fucking it all up.
>>
>>885350
It's called a step-up bit
>>
Can anyone recommend me a decent random orbital sander that is under $100? The palm sander I have at home is ballsacks and its time for a change. I'm just poor as fuck.
>>
>>886766
DEWALT D26451
>>
>>885346
I use them a lot at work for drilling holes in aluminium bulkheads through which cables are pulled.
>>
>>885387

Me: >>886795

We sometimes call it christmasstree bit
>>
>>885346
Unibit

Used for putting varying sized holes in sheet metal. Often used by electricians.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.