[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wiped down this wood bookshelf with some wacom wood oil, so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I wiped down this wood bookshelf with some wacom wood oil, so now it's deep and shiny. How do I seal it so the oil doesn't rub off when someone touches it?
>>
i think you need wood finish if u want to keep it shiny
>>
you don't. If you did it right, the film will harden, as the oil cures. If you did it wrong (ie, didn't wipe off the excess well enough)... well, you're fucked.
>>
Look at the incredients, because I'm not familiar with that particular product, but I'd guess its probably boiled linseed oil with maybe a little solvent.

Was the wood finished before? Because if it had a film finish (poly, wax, shallac, etc) it isn't going to penetrate and will just turn into a sticky mess on the surface.

If the wood was unfinished, it will penetrate and cure into a good looking, but not very protective finish. You can top with any of the above finishes after it cures.

If you do something like this again, I'd recommend my favorite finish. 1/3 linseed/tung oil, 1/3 poly (glossiness of your choice), and 1/3 solvent. Mix in a jar and wipe on. You get the look of oil, and some of the durability of poly without the coated-in-plastic poly look.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.