[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
vacuum sealed crucible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: crucible.jpg w=450.jpg (27 KB, 300x280) Image search: [Google]
crucible.jpg w=450.jpg
27 KB, 300x280
Hello I am looking to make a vacuum sealed crucible able to withstand 1000 degrees celsius
I have no idea how to do this and any help would be nice
>>
>>959909
Bump, would an airtight crucible even be possible though?
>>
Yeah I don't even know. am trying to create a super conductor using YBCO with out paying a ton of money
>>
I assume you don't want oxygen fucking with your shit?

Just flush the oxygen out with a gas that's not corrosive but heavier or lighter than oxygen.

That would be much easier, cheaper, and more realistic.

You would basically build either a box open at the top or the bottom, and activate the flush and you'd be fine.

What about baking powder and vinegar lol I can't recall what that makes or if it's heavier or lighter than oxygen.

If you're wanting another benefit like requiring less heat to melt whatever you're melting, I'd imagine that would have to be ridiculously expensive with returns only viable under mass production... even so, solar panels would probably help you even more than the little energy costs you'd get from being able to run hotter with less energy.
>>
>>959909
Based on knowledge I just recently acquired, part of your solution will probably involve some version of a 'getter'; see Wilkipedia (or similar/better) for details.
>>
>>959934
>>959934
So this is what I have to do I have to have a getter to remove the oxygen released by YBCO when its melted then I have to cool it and reintroduce oxygen back into the container.
>>
>>959930
You don't need a vacuum furnace to make YBCO, you can use a converted pottery kiln:
http://www.futurescience.com/scpart1.html

Perhaps you are trying to do CVD to make thin films?
>>
>>959909
>>959925
it wouldnt melt whatever was inside of it.
>>
>>959931
Carbon dioxide and it's slightly heavier than air.
>>
>>959909
Why not make a vaccum bell, and inside an Induction heating coil.
The crucible may be made with Silicon Carbide (you can make your own)
The tricky part is making a remote pouring mechanism
Several vaccum casting system use a crucible with a hole at the bottom and a plug acting as a valve, when you lift the plug, the metal (or whatever you're melting) will flow by gravity to the mold underneath the crucible.
>>
>>960965
Something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTx6d-wb6j4
>>
>>959930
make it homogeneous with mortar and pestle, compress. Put in kiln of some sort, it doesnt need to be in a vacuum for it to work. I've done this in my chem lab at Uni, ticked all the boxes of the effects when we cooled it down
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.