[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ceiling fan Light Kit didn't work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 671961403164lg.jpg (3 KB, 276x276) Image search: [Google]
671961403164lg.jpg
3 KB, 276x276
So I installed a ceiling fan light kit and it doesn't work for some reason.

I checked the wires that said they were for lights with a multimeter and they were dead. I tried all combinations of light switches and things of that nature but nothing works. The fan works fine though.

What could be wrong?
>>
>>951773
>what could be wrong?

You didn't wire it properly.

...But if you don't have power at the switch then tripped breaker.
>>
>>951773
how old is your house? and have you lived in it for a long time?
reason why i ask is that if you live in an old home (like i do, house built in 1939) the house has more than likely had electrical added, changed, amended, tapped, removed, repaired or disconnected in one way or another
this is also assuming that the work done over the years was with at most a qualified electrician and at least a deranged enthusiastic do-it-yourselfer with no knowledge of wiring (more than likely it is usually done by someone with a skill set somewhere inbetween these two extremes - this also assumes they were sober when they did the work)
for these reason, you gotta follow the wire, however you do that from the outlet to the panel box and figure out where it goes, ends up and gets tapped - is it a straight run or is there a weird junction along the way
if i were you, i wouldnt trust it
>>
>>952294
forgot to mention
i helped an electrician friend of mine (he had over 30 years of experience) move my old ancient panel box from main floor to the basement
we carefully labeled lines from the panel box and marked them to the circuits in the house
at one point he disconnected an entire circuit from the panel and we both thought it was dead
he picked up the line and got a shock - he just shook a bit and said it was still live - i touched it and fell back, convulsing like an idiot
turns out that after 30 years of electrical work you get a fair share of shocks that you eventually get a sort of immunity to - he said he has been lightly shocked like so many times he does not flinch that much anymore
however if it is your first time, get ready for it
anyways the wire that was live turned out to be connected to a spaghetti network of wires that tapped into all sorts of junctions, switches and boxes that connected to live wires
when he realized how bad the wiring was, he said it was too dangerous to leave it like that
we had to fix it by rewiring most of the house
>>
File: 1455084435250.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1455084435250.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>951773
>The fan works fine.
>I checked the wires that said they were for lights with a multimeter and they were dead.
Mr obvious here, If power to the fan is off, wires for lights will be dead.
>>
>>951773
Open the switch and see if you're getting power there. Also, if you had 4 wires in the fan box (black, red, white, bare or copper) you should check that both wires are attached at the switch.
>>
>>952544
Note, do not connect the white one to the switch.
>>
White would be neutral.
Green would be ground, though there probably won't be one.
Blue would be hot.

Connect the white wires. There may be two blue wires. Wire up the black to the blue (or one of the blues).
>>
>>951773
Did you put bulbs in it?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.