[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I was installing a new thermostat for my girlfriend and when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1454777226826.jpg (154 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1454777226826.jpg
154 KB, 768x1024
So, I was installing a new thermostat for my girlfriend and when I turned the breaker off, I only turned off the ac breaker, not looking or realizing that her heat was on a different breaker. I just assumed the breaker labeled "ac unit "meant both.

Well, the wires sparked and now neither her old or new thermostats are getting power. I even touched the red and green wires together to try and get the blower to turn on, but nothing.

Have I blown something in her unit? I didn't smell anything.

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
you need to get a chunkier girlfriend; you can keep warm by sliding into her flaps.
>>
>>946320
Reset both breakers. Use your meter to check that both units are getting power.

I'm not real knowledgeable about this, but thermostats should be low voltage applications. In the 6v to 36v range, at a guess based on my limited experience.

Other than that, google is your friend.

The lesson you learned here today is to always check for power before you do anything else. You could have fried yourself in your own grease or burnt down your gf's abode. Those are not good things.

You do have a multimeter, right?
>>
>>946320
>breaker labeled "ac unit "meant both.
this is for the outside unit -240vac
The furnace and air handler (blower) are on a different breaker -120vac
The transformer for the thermostat is inside the furnace.
You probably blew the transformer (24vac) or the 3-5 amp fuse on the control board inside the blower compartment.
It's usually a two-blade automotive type fuse,
>>
Sometimes there is a small car type fuse on the wire from the thermostat to the furnace. Check for that
>>
>>946332
What this guy said about the fuse in the blower compartment of the airhandler. It's blown get a new one
>>
>>946330
Yes, I have mm, but not with me.

As others were saying as well, I was worried I blew the transformer, but I have yet to check.
>>
OK, the fuse is blown. Does that !mean something else could be blown?
>>
> OK, the fuse is blown. Does that !mean something else could be blown?

yes, always.
>>
>>946415
You might get blown later, if you fix it and don't tell her it was your fault it got fucked up inna first place.
>>
>>946415
Most likely not you did a direct short with 24 volts I saw someone put 240 v through 24 v circuit on a commercial unit the fuse turned to shards of glass and he only ruined 1 relay. Replace fuse if still not working replace transformer that should be it
>>
Never trust breakers. ALWAYS verify with a test light or meter before commencing work.
>>
>>946433
Thanks. I'll replace the fuse and see what happens from there.
>>
Just don't touch r and c together put tape around one or the other or cut off the conductor and restrip it when ready or use a wire nut
>>
Replaced the fuse, its working. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.