[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home brew 1st timer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: img22b.jpg (45 KB, 485x388) Image search: [Google]
img22b.jpg
45 KB, 485x388
I'm going to do my first home brew today. I'm using a kit I received for Christmas, and it includes everything I need. The ingredients make an IPA, which is not something I enjoy. I'm planning to change the recipe a bit, and reduce the amount of hops, or leave them out altogether in favor of some lemon zest. I've done some research and I know when and how to do that.

I was wondering if anyone has advice on the hops. The hops included are Columbus and Cascade hops. Which one is the more overpowering bitter hoppy flavor? What other sort of spices might I add to compliment the lemon?
>>
I hate to be That Guy but Google will probably give you more comprehensive answers than most people on here.

I have a couple things to note however.
Considered how much beer you drink in one sitting before bottling.
It is fucked up how much time you save when you use 1litre bottles over the average 340- whatever bottles.

Re sealable "buckle" caps are also save you the money of buying a capper.
>>
>>938048
Bitter flavor comes from boiling the hops, if you want a less bitter beer just cut the hops weight by half or better yet use a IBU calculator.

Research hop schedules, the longer you boil hops the more alpha acids are isomerized which give beer its bitterness but also gets rid of volatile compounds (flavors and aroma). A 60 min boil is called the bittering addition, 30 min are flavor addition and 0 min are aroma addition. Aroma and flavor additions contribute less IBUs to the finished beer but gives it more "palate" and "nose". A lot of brewers don't do an aroma addition so it's entirely up to you.
>>
>>938149
Also if it's an IPA recipe, it will most likely have a higher OG so you could look up a pale ale recipe and adjust your grist and hop schedule.
>>
>>938048
The Columbus hops are the ones that will do the bittering. I'm guessing that your recipe says add those for 60 minutes and add the cascade at 30 min and 5 min. Just ignore the part about adding the Columbus hops. Cascade actually has a mild citrus flavor that would probably compliment the lemon. Really it should be the lemon complimenting the cascade hops.
>>
>>938048
Hops add bitterness the longer they're boiled. Without hops, this will be too sweet. Skip the cascade hops. They'll add flavor and additional bitterness you're looking to avoid.
>>
OP here

I skipped the Columbus hops and changed nothing else. The Columbus are the stronger of the two from what I understand.

>>938052
I'm using the buckle capped bottles.
>>
>>939723
Home brewing regular here. Just as an FYI, you could have kept the Columbus in the boil but cut the time that they are boiled for. Less time, less bitterness imparted.

As for additional flavoring, it is my knowledge that citrus goes with citrus, and would potentially recommend orange , whether zest, or peel from a brew supply store which can be either bitter or sweet.

Any more mods planned? Upping the strength and whatnot?
>>
I'm making 9L of cider right now and it's been fermenting for about 3 weeks. This usual?
>>
>>940418
yeh - I had one that went for nearly a month. Some just take that long to fully ferment. It's not a rule, but I found that the ones that took longer to ferment generally tasted better.
>>
>>940473
Wouldn't that be more related to lower temps? Lower temp = longer ferment time and better taste than shorter, higher temp ferments?
>>
>>940418
Three weeks should be good, get a hydrometer and measure the gravity, two-three days apart. If it's stable, you can bottle it with some added sugar to carbonate it. Hydrometer costs nothing.
>>
Come summer time, I want to make something with peaches, preferably something sweeter.

Any good recipes?
>>
Anyone made a Son of a Fermentation Chiller before? What sort of temperature difference should I expect from ambient?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.