[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
advice thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: draw.png (11 KB, 668x477) Image search: [Google]
draw.png
11 KB, 668x477
What advice have you received that's made a significant impact on a certain project? It doesn't matter how stupid it seems, post it, it might help other anons.

To the anon that drew up this diagram for me, I can not thank you enough, just tested it and it worked amazingly well.
>>
File: test.jpg (1 MB, 2981x1677) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
1 MB, 2981x1677
>>930373
To anyone as clueless in electronics as I am, this is an amplifier I'm using to build speakers, the point of the diagram in the op is to reduce the ripple from the wall wart powering the amp. The high ripple from cheap wall warts would cause the speakers to emit an irritating buzzing sound.
>>
>>930373
Hi OP, I was the guy who drew that diagram. I'm glad it worked for you, did you not need to use that unconnected capacitor on the desk in the end?

As to your question there was a guy who showed me a technique on how to take iron cored transformers apart (to scavenge the copper wire). The core laminations would not come out but he said that all I needed to do was chisel them out with a hammer and flat head screw driver. 10 minutes later and the job was done.

Another time I had a strange looking connector that I just could not identify even after hours of research. 2 minutes after posting on here and I had the correct answer.

I honestly prefer this place to forums now.
>>
>that diagram
>usb power
>dat iron, those solderings
>posative
>>
File: edited_to_appese_master.png (11 KB, 668x477) Image search: [Google]
edited_to_appese_master.png
11 KB, 668x477
>>930428
>posative
I'm was focusing on other things, spelling takes a back seat when that happens.

Happy now?
>>
File: 20160116_080820_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160116_080820_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>930418
Op here.

I was testing it out by pressing the capacitor against the contacts, which is why it's not soldered on. I wanted to see the difference it would make.

>I honestly prefer this place to forums now
I'm still new to this board but I love it. But I feel that if traffic picked up it would just go downhill. I avoid /b/ for that reason.
>>
>>931502
Ah gotcha.

>But I feel that if traffic picked up it would just go downhill.
Yeah we already get a few of those sadly, the funniest ones I've seen was that anon who wanted to build a submarine whilst using plants in a pot as a self draining urinal for his basement bedroom.
>>
>>930429
>>930418
An update on the 12 ohm speaker by the way.
Tested it on my 3w+3w amp and compared it to a 3w 4ohm, 5w 8ohm, and the 12 ohm speaker worked perfectly fine. It sounded a little louder than the 8ohm and 4 ohm speakers, but that might have been placebo, and I can't guarantee that it won't damage the amplifier in the long run, but I'm definitely going to use them with my pam8610 amp once it comes in.
>>
>>931670
Glad to hear its coming along well anon! Is the 12 ohm speaker physically larger than the 4 and 8 ohm ones?

Don't worry about it damaging the amp, its going lower than it was rated for that causes problems (ie a 2 ohm speaker connected to an amp designed for 4 ohm). Going higher doesn't do any damage but can reduce the maximum drive power.
>>
File: 20160118_162458_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160118_162458_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>931672
The 4 ohm was 30mm, and round.
The 8 ohm was 70mmx40mm.
The 12 ohm measured 53mm.

Pic related is the speakers I was using.

>going higher doesn't damage the amp
That's good to know.
>>
>>930373
I once tried the oven trick on a dead asus motherboard.

ALWAYS CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS OUT!

I spent the whole day picking little bits of motherboard out of my oven. Those cr2032 have quite a bang.
>>
>>931796
Hey I've got one of those big ones, well I did have two but manged to fuck up the voice coil on one of them by over driving it.

They were pretty decent sounding IIRC.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.