[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
my water pressure pump just 404d I still haven't figure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1451713450102.jpg (28 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1451713450102.jpg
28 KB, 450x300
my water pressure pump just 404d

I still haven't figure it out if it was the capacitor, or if the motor coil just burned

how can I diagnose a bad capacitor using only a cheap multimeter?

thanks
>>
Put a charge across the terminals.
Disconnect power source.
Lick your fingers and touch both terminals.
>>
If the motor sits there buzzing loudly suspect the capacitor. If nothing at all check windings for continuity. Check the pressure switch wile you are at it.
>>
>>930282
What kind of pump is it? If it is an in-well submersible pump, check the electrical wire that runs down to the motor for wear and tear. They tend to vibrate on anything they touch and short out eventually when the insulation is worn off. "Torque Arrestor" can help stop the twisting motion. I have like 3-4 on mine. However, the pump motor uses so much electric that the wires can actually move a fraction of an inch, especially if they are in a conduit pipe anywhere. This too can short them out by rubbing the insulation away.

>>930293
This.

>>930287
Don't do this.
>>
File: earwig.jpg (5 KB, 342x147) Image search: [Google]
earwig.jpg
5 KB, 342x147
>>930293
One other issue I have with my 1980s vintage one is insects getting in the pressure switch. If you leave it powered up they tend to get btfo before they get between the contacts but if its powered off at the wall they invariably get stuck between the contacts and next time you switch it on at the mains it doesn't go.
>>
>>930282
You can't.
>>
>>930282
If your multimeter has a capacitance function you could use that, but its not an absolute test. If the capacitance is way off then it failed but if its not it could have failed in some other way that the meter can't detect (high ESR or high leakage)
>>
>>930299

Too late he did >>930287 and it dead. Turns out it wasn't the capacitor.
>>
>>930282
Set the meter to resistance, test across the cap terminals. A healthy cap will start with a low resistance and in under a second rise to infinite resistance. A fucked cap wont reach 100% resistance or will rise very slowly. A totally fucked cap will judt be straight short circuit.

Not 100% reliable but its the best you get without a real cap tester.
>>
>>930817
This is how to test capacitors.

As for the motor, disconnect power and put multi meter on both legs while set to ohm, if it goes up into the millions the motor is shot. Their shouldn't be much resistance at all through the motor.
>>
>>930282
how would the capacitor make your water pressure pump not be found?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.