[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: dam.jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
dam.jpg
12 KB, 259x194
I want to do some work on a small dam or a large pond at the moment it holds water but only for a limited time i want to dig out the earth in there and line it with some river clay that i have access to i also only have a bobcat to do it with what i want to know is this like the clay thinkness and other ideas

I also live in rural noth east QLD Aus
>>
>>915772
whut? so you want to dam a stream so you can line it with something else? if so you don't need a dam you need a diversion. that being a way to divert the stream from where you are working otherwise the dam resivor will fill and the dam will overflow in a matter of minuets/hrs whatever depends how much water and how tall your dam is. would nee pictures if you want moar mabie some topographic sketch or some such shenanigans
>>
>>915772
what you need is time to just a small trench,

and then expand from small,

like how it is done 100+years ago

just start small and expend, and constantly adjust and trial and error until you like it
>>
>>915772
I am confused but if I understand you correctly:

You have a pond. The pond has a creek feeding into it (inlet) and a creek feeding out (outlet). Assuming this pond is not a kangaroo breeding ground, you will not need any permits.

Step 1) assess kangaroo situation
Step 2) get permit (if required)
Step 3) dig trench from inlet to outlet around existing pond
Step 4) build temporary dam at inlet and outlet to prevent water from entering pond, forcing it to use trench.
Step 5) wait for unbearably warm Austrailian sun to evaporate pond. Or rent a 12 kangaroo-power pump (I think this is a 3.5 horsepower pump in the States) to drain pond.
Step 6) do your bobcat shit
Step 7) destroy outlet dam
Step 8) destroy inlet dam
Step 9) destroy trench
Step 10) enjoy a bloomin' onion

Also, how does the water stay in an Australian pond? Wouldn't it just fall up?
>>
>>915772
>hat i want to know is this like the clay thinkness and other ideas

I missed this in my first reply >916951

DO you mean thickness for the pond liner, or thickness for the dam?

We need to know how deep this pond will be. Also is it groundwater fed or runoff fed?
>>
>>916951
By fall up you mean evaporate from the redicuous heat? Yes. But makes some killer lighting storms
>>
>>915772
Check your kangaroo laws first, it could be illegal like in burgerland.
>>
>>917029
no, I mean that austrailia is on the bottom of the world. The world is round.

When I put water on the bottom of a ball (or globe) the water falls off.

#gravity
>>
>>917098
This. I just wish the whole country would fall up and be gone forever. Then we wouldn't have a stupid ass OP asking "hurr durr how i dig hole lol"
>>
>>917112
This
>>
I'd love to build a pond. The sea is close and the water in it is almost fresh because of Baltic Sea and living deep in a reeeeeeeally long inlet. Maybe dig a pipe from the sea to my pond?
It's basically
Dig hole
Line it with some shit (what)?
Done
Or is there more to it?
>>
>>917098
Durrrr apprently Americans don't understand the concept of sarcasm
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.