[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pocket-hole machines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
File: pocket_hole_joint.jpg (28 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
pocket_hole_joint.jpg
28 KB, 500x323
Herro /diy/

I'm moving to a new house and I was thinking about building a bookshelf and a wardrobe. When I checked the internet, many builders are utilizing the pocket hole machine and it seems to work fine too.

Have you ever tried a pocket-hole machine?

Is there any way to do pocket holes without the machine? Like, with just a drill..
>>
File: 25k6015s2.jpg (35 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
25k6015s2.jpg
35 KB, 500x200
mfw I found this just after posting the thread.
>>
>>916255
>>916256
Another simple pocket hole jig is to get a scrap of wood and guess-and-check the angle until you get it right. It won't last forever, but it'll do a few holes with a somewhat decent degree of accuracy.
Best part of it is it's free, so you get what you pay for. But if you have some scrap wood laying around, it'll do decently. Hardwood works best, anything soft and it's likely to get too much play in it through repeated use in a very short period of time, but a scrap bit of pine will work in a pinch.
>>
File: kreg jig.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
kreg jig.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>916256
>>916255
Personally I'd still go for the full sized kit w/ everything so you can actually make consistent holes and stuff easier. Trust me on this. I used one back in HS for a little rifle crate/display box and it made things really simple, fast, and not shit. I've been thinking of actually building some shelving and a table myself and it's one of the top things I need to pick up before I get started, it made it just that much easier.
>>
File: 293px-Dado_joint.svg.png (21 KB, 293x293) Image search: [Google]
293px-Dado_joint.svg.png
21 KB, 293x293
Pocket holes are useful for framing and shit tier DIYers who have lo interest in learning any quality joinery techniques.

I'd honestly use a butt joint with good glue before I used pocket holes. The way the hole is drilled it leaves little wood structure around the top of the screw and screw head.

They'll work to an extent and a limited amount of weight for anything supporting (shelves) but beyond all it's just plain fucking lazy.

Learn and use pic related.
>>
>>916264
>pocketholes
>framing
Found the tryhard
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>916264
That's not a butt joint that's a dado.

OP pocket holes have their place. But as this anon>>916264 points out there are much stronger joints.
For centuries carpenter fags have been able to build furniture without pocket holes.
Pic not related.
>>
>>916264
That joint requires the use of a router and room to use it. A pocket hole just needs a jig and a cheap drill. Maybe the anon doesn't have tools/tool budget, or basically has to build the whole thing in a closet?
>>
>>916323
If you actually read his post you'd notice he isn't saying the picture is of a but-joint...
>>
>>916344
that does not require a router. it requires a saw.
>>
File: 365895_81_43001_B3PObSiSz.jpg.png (2 MB, 880x1278) Image search: [Google]
365895_81_43001_B3PObSiSz.jpg.png
2 MB, 880x1278
>>916255
>>
>>916369
Or one (1) chisel, probably half inch, and something to whack it with. Maybe a pencil, but OP should have one of those already.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.