[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody have some good ideas for framing large pictures? I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: world-physical-map-large277.jpg (151 KB, 1024x598) Image search: [Google]
world-physical-map-large277.jpg
151 KB, 1024x598
Anybody have some good ideas for framing large pictures? I have some large maps that I want framed, but a friend of mine told me that getting custom frames at an art store like Michael's is really expensive.

What's a good way to build my own frame?
>>
>>1010804
Did you google it? Theres quite a bit of information. You will probably need a set of these for a start.
>>
Sorry, m8. If you want a good way to build a frame, you gotta learn to frame like someone who's paid to do so. It's not difficult per se, but you're essentially paying for the cost of materials (bought wholesale), power tools & carpentry hardware (+ labor, which allows the framer to eat every now and then) when you go to Michael's or to anyone else for that matter. However, you can probably luck out by finding someone else, who isn't big box corporation, to do it, e.g. art gallery, local artist interest group, etc.

But if you got a miter saw and miter vice laying around, then I think you could pull it off yourself if you really have the desire to DIY.
>>
>>1010804
It's all down to what sort of frame you want, thin frame or one with a lot of detail will be harder to make, a frame that is a little chunkier or more "rustic" less so, go check out YT for vids.

Also check junk shops and thrift stores, they often sell shitty pictures in great frames for pocket change, just buy it and put you picture in there instead.
>>
>>1010804
If you can cut 45deg angles, like >>1010811 suggested, thats half the battle.
Otherwise I used to just find 2nd hand frames or aluminium sided poster frames which tended to be cheaper than I could ever make. Backing board is generally thin MDF and will have 1-2mm glass in it.
>>
File: DSCN1481.jpg (524 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1481.jpg
524 KB, 1600x1200
>>1010804
I built the frames for these 4' x 2' LED panels last year. I started with 2"x2"x8' Framing Lumber and used a miter box to cut it into pieces at 45 degree angles. The pieces of metal in the corners are "3 in. Zinc-Plated Heavy Duty Corner Braces", which made it pretty easy to get everything lines up and hide imperfections.
>>
>>1010804
just mount and hang them, frames look shit with maps
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.