[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
50mm goggles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: photo (7).jpg (234 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
photo (7).jpg
234 KB, 960x720
So i wear 50mm goggles at work because they seal better around the eyes and i can wear my headphone earmuff things i made without painn in the ear, anyways i need a way to cut out lenses from sheets of plexi i have, any ideas?
>>
>>1001313
are you trying to make safety goggles? because plexi wont do shit to protect you.

just get some real safety glasses; best not to improvise on something that will keep you from going blind.
>>
That style goggle is such utter shit that it should no longer be sold. Get some plain clear safety glasses with a conforming frame AND a clear face shield. Goggles don't protect your face.

Workplace is supposed to provide PPE, but I've done it myself to get comfy.

Ask on welding forums what people are using, they have to have effective eye protection they can see through clearly.
>>
File: 1299011304494.jpg (115 KB, 780x487) Image search: [Google]
1299011304494.jpg
115 KB, 780x487
>>1001313
>So i wear 50mm goggles at work because they seal better around the eyes and i can wear my headphone earmuff things i made without painn in the ear, anyways i need a way to cut out lenses from sheets of plexi i have, any ideas?
Plexiglass (acrylic) is totally wrong for safety goggles, because it shatters when it fails.
If you INSIST on making your own safety goggles, then what you want to use is polycarbonate (Lexan). Get a sheet about 3/32"" thick, and then you can cut lenses out of it using tin snips,,,,, because it is tough and flexible when bent, it won't shatter like Plexiglass does.

>>1001327
>That style goggle is such utter shit that it should no longer be sold.
Some people prefer them. *I* don't, but others do.
>Goggles don't protect your face.
This is true, but it depends on what is practical to wear in a given situation.
>Workplace is supposed to provide PPE, ...
Another thought I had was that if you are required to wear safety glasses for a job, then you're probably supposed to be using "real" ones with a safety rating--not home-made ones.
But anyway.
>>
File: photo (34).jpg (139 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
photo (34).jpg
139 KB, 960x720
I hand cut these out they are very thick, so more than likely ill be breaking my eye sockets before that stuff breaks. It just takes too long to cut it out and take to the belt sander. I cant wear normal glasses or a face shield because of my earmuffs i have very very sensitive hearing. Its bean a on going issue for me
>>
and given that the goggles can fit under my headphones i can also clip my welding helmet to my headphones via screws (broke my head gear quite a while ago) and i dont have to take them off everytime
>>
>>1001327
Im working out of my own private shop as a fabricator in car restoration
>>
>>1001895
Quality ear plugs are a great way to attenuate noise (retired jet mech here) and you can wash and reuse them. Toss 'em in a pocket or sock for easy retrieval from the dryer.

EAR and Moldex are examples. Muffs are awkward, I like the EAR "foamies" and in USAF tests they provide excellent attenuation. They keep your ears clean because the foam picks up ear wax and dust which is cleaned off when you wash the plugs or thrown away when you replace them.

You can, and I have, wear a hard hat with a hinged face shield and muffs or headphones. That setup is more comfortable and stable than a plain face shield and grinding sparks (I weld too) don't drop behind the shield because the helmet blocks them.

I strongly suggest studying different PPE options.

All your problems have been comfortably solved by industry for many years, but many /diy/ers don't know about the solutions.

Also check welding forums like the Miller forums and Weldingweb.

You can buy custom molded ear plug kits if you require or prefer molded plugs. I've seen kits at motorcycle rallies which include ear buds.

The combo of effective ear plugs and audio would get you your music and hearing protection and fit under your welding hood, and the combo of modern safety glasses and a shield would potentially save your face. Even nice friendly flap discs come apart now and then.

Happy fabbing, but do learn what's out there. It's worth the effort to have a comfy career. I wear the same PPE at home I used on jobs.
>>
Drill with 51 or 52mm radius bit, sanded down edges with the safest epoxy you can find
>>
>>1002794 i dont want to spend more money than i need to i mean i have 4 sheets of 4x8 foot sheets of plexi laying around so why not use it. Plus the modded earplugs that keep out sound as good as my earmuffs do around loud cars or the grinders that are less than 20$ isnt going to happen. The face shield is a good idea im not the one to wear them unfortunately because my welding helmet clips onto my headphones. PLEASE GUYS I JUST NEED A GOOD WAY TO CUT THESE THINGS OUT! i dont want a million and a half of other ways to protect myself because my setup works for me. Thanks
>>
>>1002888
>i dont want to spend more money than i need to i mean i have 4 sheets of 4x8 foot sheets of plexi laying around so why not use it.
Because you are doing something retarded... Safety goggles should be polycarbonate, not acrylic.

You only got one set of eyes, you can't make new ones.
And quite frankly--you don't even have any way to know that both the ones you got now will last as long as you need them.

Acrylic is easy to cut, just use a fine-tooth hand saw and go really slow. Going to fast melts the plastic and then it sticks to the blade and grabs and cracks. Keeping it wet while you cut will help.

It's still dumb tho.
>>
>>1001901
Normally, i hate OSHA, but you deserve to get OSHA'd hard
>>
>>1004265
How OP fabs anything in a business yet can't instantly figure out how to cut discs out of plastic is a mystery.

Yes, we'll call a mong a mong.

Use a holesaw and water from a spray bottle. Next time use a search engine and you'd have found that in seconds.

Since you do autobody, you can put some of your painters tape over the piece you are trying to save to keep from scratching it.

No one else imitate this crap. Not even poverty is an excuse.
>>
File: 1305487523857.gif (32 KB, 410x410) Image search: [Google]
1305487523857.gif
32 KB, 410x410
>>1004265
>Normally, i hate OSHA, but you deserve to get OSHA'd hard
OSHA doesn't fine employees, only employers.
The Dept of Health is the same way. As are a number of other (USA) governmental regulatory agencies.

Occasionally the discussion arises if OSHA should switch to fining individual employees, but it gets dropped pretty quickly.

The pessimists' observation (and one I agree with 100%) is that the ONLY reason that the government rules get followed by [most] businesses is because if the businesses get caught breaking those rules, the businesses are on the hook for the fines.
>>
>>1001313
What will you be doing with them, OP? Just general shop work?

These are shit for welding, you're going to want a proper mask for that.

I however wear a pair of those goggles with shade #5 lenses instead of sunglasses, since I'm photophobic. They're pretty cozy.
You can probably just buy lenses for them off Amazon for, like, 2 dollars or something.

I'm not sure plexi is going to help you very much, but if you can sand it down and stuff, I'm sure it would work well enough.
>>
>>1004265
OSHA doesn't apply to self employed persons.

>>1002888
a 6x6 sheet of polycarbonate would yield enough for 9 lenses and cost you like $7 online.
>>
Those goggles are common and dirt cheap. The style is ancient. Check Ebay for lenses and perhaps more goggles at less effort than cutting them.

Time is money. Woe to the man who thinks his time so worthless he does a dollars work to save a dime when he could be making the dollar.
>>
>>1005282 I only use these while grinding or just general purpose things with dust i use a welding mask for welding and plasma cutting
>>
File: .jpg (893 KB, 2194x1954) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
893 KB, 2194x1954
>>1001313
>>1005282

1) For safety glasses, use polycarbonate. Really. Acrylic glass provides you no protection.

2) For cutting discs: buy hole saw set (pic related; top-right). You can use hole saws without the pilot drills, then you get a nice disc.

3) I needed some time ago precise diameter discs (diy-ing a camera sun filter from baader nd5 foil and acrylic glass discs). For this I build a pic-related "tool" – piece of wood + bolt + hard metal wire. Results were fine, pic-related is a (unsuccessful) tryout. This should work with polycarbonate as well.

Ofc, for 2) and 3) you need a drill stand.
>>
I'm kinda new to DIY stuff (apart from making bows and slings) and i don't get why plexi is such a bad idea, i always thought it is quite good at taking shocks. Is it not ? Or am i misunderstanding the purpose of the goggles ?
>>
>>1006811
Would suggest making sure the DIY drill bit has a little bit of counterweight so it doesn't vibrate too much.
>>
>>1006830
Plexi (acrylic glass) breaks easily at impact.
If you want to bend acrylic glass, you need to heat it first (130°C), otherwise it breaks.

Polycarbonate deforms (dents) at impact.
If you want to bend polycarbonate, you just bend it. Solid polycarbonate behaves more or less like a metal sheet.

Please take a hammer and hit bot acrylic glass and polycarbonate, you'll see the difference.

>>1006836
I needed only two discs, this was sufficient.
The real problem to solve is to balance the torque when cutting, not the weight. Even with counterweight, when cutting you get vibrations from material resistance.
>>
>>1002888
fuck your dumb
THE GOOD WAY TO CUT PLEXI GLASS IS WITH A PROPER SAW IF YOUR TO CHEAP TO BUY SAFETY GLASSES YOU SURE AS FUCK AREN'T GOING TO BUY A BAND SAW OR THE PROPER BLADES FOR IT
not including the fact that your plexi glass is fucking useless for impact resistance and will get scratched to shit the moment you get dust on it
>>
For the lazy people, here are some vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKmMz44mzOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlEfJFDWXpM
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.