[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Furniture grade PVC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: splash_large.jpg (29 KB, 480x359) Image search: [Google]
splash_large.jpg
29 KB, 480x359
I'm planning on using furniture grade PVC to build a shelf/ cargo storage frame in the back of a jeep-type vehicle. Unsure of what size to use, and if 1/2" will be sufficient. Needs to support 40 lbs. minimum. Maximum horizontal pipe length around 2 feet (but can make shorter if structurally necessary). Any experience?
>>
File: Van-Racking-Front-View.jpg (13 KB, 280x202) Image search: [Google]
Van-Racking-Front-View.jpg
13 KB, 280x202
>>1005981
>in the back of a jeep
just make it out of steel extrusions and weld it together. or buy a shelving system
http://www.katshelving.com.au/images/stories/katshelving/frontslider/Van-Side.jpg

or just use totes. if you plan to store shit permanently, make sure its tied down because you dont want a bolt flying through your head at 100km/h when you rapidly brake or whatever. dont forget cars vibrate and experience frequent dynamic loads from bounding around constantly. that system looks like a piece of shit. what do you need to store?
>>
>>1005984
It's a very low HP suzuki 4x4. Weight is a big concern. It's mostly to put the dog bed on (he's 25 lbs), and to give us more room underneath for plastic totes, camping gear, fishing poles, etc. Plan on mounting it to the existing hardware for the rear seat and rear seat belts (removed). Hoping the PVC will give some flex for offroading with pupper.
>>
>furniture grade pvc
I lold, but if you lurk here you should know by now the only furniture grade pipe is black iron.

Really though, half inch might be fine, I'd do 3/4 just to be sure. It's probably not a big deal at all, but if you're going to keep a dog by it is would use cpvc, that's what's used for water supply because pvc supposedly releases some chemical or something when wet that could potentially be harmful. I never looked into it but I only use cpvc for my supply lines anyways. My only thought is dogs will sometimes like things around them or nibble on them. It only costs a little bit more.

The thing is, since pvc is so easy to work, if you build a shelf that's not rigid enough you can easily add cross braces in. Just cut enough pipe out to install a t on equal but opposing sides and then run another length of pipe between them. You could even get fancy and install ys if you can at least calculate the angle some what accurately.

Just make sure you secure it properly in the jeep. It'll be very light weight, so if you don't secure it then it'll go flying. If you don't mind putting holes into the metal inside your jeep some conduit strap and self tapping screws could work wonders.
>>
>>1005989
>Weight is a big concern.
Steel has a higher strength to weight ratio than PVC. For a given strength, a steel frame will be lighter.

>Hoping the PVC will give some flex for offroading with pupper.
That sounds like a bad idea. I'd mount the dog bed to a steel frame with springs. A reasonable design would probably offer an order of magnitude or so improvement over PVC in strength, durability, and shock absorption.
>>
>>1006015
>is would use cpvc, that's what's used for water supply because pvc supposedly releases some chemical or something when wet
Both PCV and CPVC are used in water supplies. CPVC is used for hot water because it has better heat resistance than PVC. Both produce hazardous chemicals when burned, but are safe at normal temperatures and are impervious to water.
>>
>>1006018
That makes more sense. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>1006031

Use a suspended net like that which is used to catch a gymnast when they fall for the dog.

Easier to remove if needed. Light and not bulky. Softer for the dog.

You're welcome
>>
>>1006101
I'm not op.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.