[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey diy - i'm looking for a way to build the cheapest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_0656-3.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0656-3.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
hey diy -

i'm looking for a way to build the cheapest possible mold, which we will be used to pour plastic, the one used to make soft fishing lure.

the mold should be rectangular, so that i end up with a 6mm sheet of plastic. i'm trying to achieve a perfect rectangle, so using wood as is is out of question as the plastic would take up on the wood texture.

any ideas?
>>
You could use a sheet of thin plexiglass as the base for the mold. It is cheap and already has a perfectly-flat surface.
Really tho you would probably save money by just buying a sheet of soft silicone rubber already made.

You could mold it yourself by buying 2-part silicone, but that is very expensive.
You could use aquarium sealant (1-part silicone) but it may have air bubbles in it and it may take 2-3 weeks or more to cure.

A quarter-inch is about the thickest that you can make one-part silicone parts (like, from aquarium sealant or silicone caulk). Heat won't help it cure faster, and if you move it before its cured, it will get ruined.
The problem with trying to cast thick parts out of one-part silicone is that the top skins over and that GREATLY slows down the inside from curing.
2-part silicone doesn't have this problem, but it tends to be rather expensive (like, $150 a gallon).
>>
>>1004977
i have looked everywhere to buy a sheet of very soft plastic (dildo-like jelly), but my geographic situation makes it easier to have access to such product.

i found a way to order the same plastic used to make fishing lure, a very squishy kind of silicone, its about 70$ for 5 liters which is very cheap and perfect for what i intend to do.

plexiglass for the base is a good starting point, but it's worried about the side and the top not being a perfectly levelled and flat surface. i could glue plexiglass to wood parts and reproduce the same setup as in the picture, but it's hard to get very cleanly cut piece of plexiglass around here. i'll have sealing problem between the base and the side.
>>
>>1004998
my geographic situation makes it impossible*
>>
>>1004945
Use 1/4" or 1/2" MDF instead of wood, MDF is smooth but workable like wood.
>>
>>1004945
You could also just get a perfectly-square hole laser-cut in a single piece of 1/4" MDF at a local maker shop.
>>
>>1004945
You could also use 16-stud-long Lego bricks for the sides of your rectangle for perfectly seamless molds (16 studs = 5.0000 inches).

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=2465&name=Brick%201%20x%2016&category=%5BBrick%5D#T=C
>>
>>1004998
>dildo
Either gay or cucked by an inanimate object
>>
>>1004945
why does it need to be square?

if you're pouring material into mold cavities, it should level itself out anyway
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.