[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VMware half off?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
Sup DIY masters of the universe

I'm trying to setup a virtual machine of Ubuntu for school and its going well.........at least up until the part where a section of the screen to the right is missing and I cannot hit the next button to finish installing it

Is there any way to fix this or did I do something wrong while installing the whole VMware?
>>
Dunno, I use Virtualbox (even though Oracle is evil).
>>
>>901917
Tab should let you switch between the two. Or arrow keys.
>>
>>901917
It'll be something wrong with Ubuntu, not something wrong with VMWare.

If it were Windows, you could just tab around the dialogue and press the button even though it's offscreen. Linux has historically been terrible for keyboard accessibility, and I doubt it's improved much, but you could give it a go. Alternatively, why not use the console-mode installer? Even Ubuntu can't fuck that up.

Why are you doing the setup by hand and not using VMWare's Express Install, anyway? Alls you do is answer a few questions in VMWare's wizard on the host, and the guest boots up, installs its own OS with no interaction required, and when it's done you can start using it immediately.
>>
>>901917
Can you increase the resolution of the host? You might need to stop the VM, open its display properties and tweak the default resolution. Set nothing less than 1024x768. Otherwise, as other anons have said, tab around and hope for the best when the install is complete.
>>
I believe the host resolution is maxed but I'll try it. I also tried tweaking the VMware resolution but I didn't notice change, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'll try the tab thing, I totally forgot I could do that
>>
What's up with all the /g/ questions in /diy/?
>>
>>901953
/g/ is not tech support, says so in the sticky
Its also such a fast board the thread would die before it got fixed.

Quit being a shitposter
>>
>>901954
/diy/ isn't tech support either. This isn't even related to /diy/. "doing stuff" on a computer, while technically is a person doing something themselves, is not a do-it-yourself kind of thing. If it was then fuck-all would be covered under /diy/ and we'd be far worse than /g/.
>>
>>901953
> mad that people rate /diy/ as a more reliable and helpful source of info than /g/

Back to your home board /g/entooman.
>>
>>901957
The fuck? /g/ is a shit hole, that's why I don't want /g/ shit leaking into /diy/. It's bad enough that the fucking cosplayers ask how to make fur suits here.
>>
File: 120338576104.jpg (51 KB, 470x685) Image search: [Google]
120338576104.jpg
51 KB, 470x685
>>901960
Says you, and only you. If you're that much of a faggot that you will whinge about people helping people, you are cancer and we don't want you here anyway. Feel free to leave at any time.
>>
>>901956
>>901960
Seriously, fuck your noise. This is "do it yourself", no "do [subset of things I like] yourself". If someone needs help doing something for themselves, be it the best stitch to use to sew an arm onto a fur suit or anything else, the question is valid, and others will learn from the answer and adapt it as they need, as I have done with dozens of threads across dozens of topics. If you're too dense to see how that's helpful, then fuck off back to wherever you came from.
>>
Do you specifically need it as a virtual machine?
You could just run Ubuntu with Wubi or just install it on another partition.
>>
>>901998
Do you specifically need to post with a trip? You could just post anonymously like the rest of us and not be an e-faming cunt.
>>
>>902017
Kekd
>>
if Ubuntu played around with the video settings, it might be possible to shrink the image using the settings button on the monitor.
>>
>>901952
>>901929
Another thing you could do is install it on bare metal, then use VMWare Converter to P2V it into a virtual machine.
>>
>>901917
And a really obvious one: if the guest resolution is higher than the host resolution, it won't all fit in the console window, and the console window will sprout scrollbars.
>>
>>901917
The last time I used a Linux GUI installer you could still hit Tab to move around UI elements, and space to activate them. So you should be able to just hit Tab until the Next button is selected (which SHOULD be right after you see the Back button highlighted) and hit Space or Enter.

Or use the text installer, which is far nicer on a remote connection.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.