[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Parts Organizer Advice Needed!! What do you use for parts storage/organization?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Raaco Parts Cabinet.jpg (148 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Raaco Parts Cabinet.jpg
148 KB, 600x600
Parts Organizer Advice Needed!!

What do you use for parts storage/organization?

I'm about to be making my first massive order of electronic components, which will likely come out to around 200 different types of components in various quantities.

Considering buying pic-related parts organizer. I've got a full-size Husky toolbox that could do the trick, if I used organizers.

OR

Could it be easier and more cost-friendly to make my own pic-related type out of pine or oak with glass insert style panes?

Just needing some advice, as the cost of all parts I'm ordering is steep as-is, and I'm really not trying to spend anymore than I already am.

Thoughts?
>>
I use those for my components. I dont know how much shit you ordered but definitely buy enough cabinets so you can keep your different values organized. Keeping your resistors and shit organized takes up a lot of drawers. You're also gonna want something bigger to store whatever big shit you accumulate, batteries, power supplies, cords, wire, etc. Save the husky box for tools. A parts organizer like the one in your pic is like fifteen bucks at harbor freight so I don't think you're gonna get a better solution for less.
>>
>>1004360

Whatever organizer you get, ensure that the "ceilings" of the drawers is solid. That is to say, completely enclosed. I like the organizers I have on the basis that they were cheap (like $20 for 64 2x5.5" drawers), but the cutouts in the drawer slots that were put in to save material means that things can get caught/stuck after you close the drawer. Not to mention the fact that if I ever knock the thing over (god forbid), parts are still going to be all over the place even if every drawer magically stays completely shut.

I'm inclined to say you should make your own if you have the capability. Partly because it should be cheaper than a decent, off-the-shelf organizer cabinet, and partly because you can ensure it's exactly what you need.
>>
For most through-hole components, I use these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4629T34
For surface mount, the compartments are way too big. I use these instead:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-resistor-capacitor-storage-box-Organizer-0603-0402-144-compartments-w-lids-l-/281543611085
...and since I have like 100 of each, I keep them neatly store in map cabinets, aka 'flat files':
http://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/flat-files/smi-natural-oak-flat-files-with-metal-glides
>>
Muahaha. I wonder if I still have the plans and models for my organizer from hell from 3 years ago....
>>
I know it's not ideal, but initially you could get similar to OP pic just with larger drawers and place components in zip lock bags together in component type order

So for example, individual value resistors in zip lock bags, than all the resistors in a drawer???

Not ideal but will get you started until you get your shit together
>>
File: Oaks Parts Organizer.jpg (281 KB, 1200x895) Image search: [Google]
Oaks Parts Organizer.jpg
281 KB, 1200x895
>>1004363
>$15
My OP pic is made by Raaco. The frame is made of steel and the cheapest I can find them is for $37 plus shipping, each. I'll checkout Harbor Freight and see if they have anything similar, but this is the cheapest I can find as far as steel framed parts organizers go.

>>1004366
Great Point. Strangely, I hadn't even considered the fact that I could customize drawer selection to my needs/liking. I was just taking it into consideration in regards to cost efficiency without loss in quality or durability. {ic related seems like the easiest route. No slides on each drawer. Just open drawer sitting on slats. Might be an easy way of getting everything dusty overtime though..but I guess the same could be said about any open-drawer cabinet.

>>1004371
You're badass. Thank you for those.

>>1004387
I'd definitely be interested if you were able to find them.

>>1004412
Meh. Tripling the work is a no-go for me. As in - doing that, getting more parts, reorganizing, getting more storage, reorganizing, and on and on.
I'd rather just do this right now, in whatever fashion I end up choosing, and be done with it.
>>
>>1004424
I would love this unit in my shed
>>
Get some some 1/8" or 1/4" MDF laser-cut for you to make your own storage drawers:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:327393
>>
>>1004428
If only. It'd take at least one full day once I got it situated to really soak it in before I even felt remotely comfortable walking away from it.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.