[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Micro Hydroelectricity - get in here !
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_0i0HzYXE
>>
>>996070
I hate the way he edited his videos. Should just get to the point.
>>
I usually do one without the fluff too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-L_bvoiefI
>>
>>996070
"This video has been removed by the user"

-------

If you live in an area where you can do it sneaky-like, mini-hydro is probably the BEST way to generate electricity off the grid.
--Under ideal conditions (a small, rocky shallow stream) constructing a partial dam is easy, just by re-arranging some rocks
--A relatively small device can produce a relatively large amount of power
--Power level is very consistent and runs 24/7

You can also build it on a floating platform and anchor it so that it can rise with (moderate) flood waters
>>
Stop trying to promote your shitty youtube channel
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWX5KxtRqq0&list=PLBA9AA4C4816E46F6
>>
File: meredith_baxter_birney01.jpg (8 KB, 250x330) Image search: [Google]
meredith_baxter_birney01.jpg
8 KB, 250x330
>>996189
"This video has been replaced by the user"

WTF is with this Lifetime For Women shit at the beginning? Also u forgot to beat up MBB? (pic related)

And why did you bother to cast the end plates? you coulda just cut them out of steel and bolted the thing together with angle iron.
>>
>>996070
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation_water_vortex_power_plant
>>
>>996239
Lol, MBB gets beat down by her abusive creek dwelling, aluminum hoarding boyfriend, in my next lifetime production.
>>
>>996070
The energy you wasted heating up that metal is more than that shit will ever produce over it's entire life.
>>
>>996437
Same thing for solar grade silicon
>>
>>996437
>>996467

But you only have to do it once.
>>
>>996467
Lel nope. The EROI for solar is net positive
>>
>>996070
I knew a guy about 20 years ago who was a winter caretaker at a summer camp in the pacific northwest. They used to use a gas genny but installed microhydro and a fairly decent sized battery bank made up of those large 2 volt Surrettes to try and cut future fuel costs.

IIRC system consisted of 600 ft of 2" black irrigation pipe fed from a large stream with about 200 ft of head. Pipe diameter was reduced in steps to increase velocity just before entering the nozzle that streamed water at the homemade paddles on a surplus car alternator, which fed a Trace(?) brand charge controller set up as a load diverter as well.

Results: It worked better than expected, wsy better. During first winter so much energy was produced that he hardly ran the gen set, usually just to ensure it would run.

Had one scary moment. As a load diverter, when the batteries were fully charged the Trace would dump the excess power in the heating element on a hotwater tank. He thought he would never generate enough power to worry about it. Instead he popped the pressure relief valve on the HW tank *three* times in one night as he over-temped it.
>>
>>996472

>net positive

Yeah. Just let me wait 30 years praying it doesn't break or need any sort of maintenance so I can see a few pennies being saved in my golden years.
>>
Not bad. I like it.

Are you going to store all this energy you are producing?
>>
>>996490
That's a brilliant idea for using the excess, holy shit
>>
>>996577
What part of the EROI is positive don't you understand faggot? Energy payback occurs in <<30 years.
>>
>>996612
It's not without government subsidies. That's why the subsidies are needed, because it's not a competetive technology. If it was, power companies would be falling over themselves to build solar power plants with almost no maintenance costs.
>>
>>996612

>I'm right and you are wrong! wahhh!

For the love of god, go back to /b/
>>
>>996612
If the alternator is free and the blade is free and the batteries were free then the EROI is the second after I turn it on.

Stop being a naysayer, we don't like you and your kind
>>
>>996490
>mer camp in the pacific northwest. They used to use a gas genny but installed microhydro and a fairly decent sized battery bank made up of those large 2 volt Surrettes to try and cut future fuel costs.

That sounds like some power, I am going to prob have to make a large diameter 3 phase dynamo to really get the power out of my high flow, low drop situation
>>
>>996577
>Hurr, I've been under a rock for the last decade
Current PV panels pay off their energy deficit in under 4 years.
>>996630
>It's not without government subsidies.
EROEI cannot be subsidized, dumbass.
>>
>>996490

too bad US water laws are absolute shit and you'd be fined for having something in a creek or stream
>>
>>996317
Well I learnt something today, thanks anon. Neat to see how much power you can make off a 1.5 meter drop.
>>
>>996599
It's somewhat commonplace in industrial power gen. Diesel locomotives use a massive carbon resistor and switch the motors into a generator configuration.
>>
>>996913
Thanks for watching it. I will try to demonstrate a better output soon. I am going to have to do a little more building, but I should have some new vids showing more power output.
>>
>>996913
I am expecting to demonstrate about 100 watts, 10 foot pounds of torque at 60 rpm is 100 watts.
>>
>>996913

I particularly like the 'fish friendly' aspect of this design. The one thing that really makes regulators shit brix is harm to the wildlife.

Anecdote: I was talking to a guy that has a 100 kW high head Pelton wheel plant. His permit (and operating conditions) require that he shuts down during low stream flow. The stream flow gets so low that the water in the creek will actually percolate into the ground and dry up the lower creek during the summer. One year, he forgot to open the bypass on the diversion dam and the water continued to run down the penstock. When he realized his mistake, he ran up to the plant (it usually runs unattended) and checked the stream. The water running though the penstock was bypassing the porous streambed above the plant and re-entering the stream below. There was enough flow that salmon had spawned in the creek for the first time in years. When he called the Dept of Fisheries and confessed to what he had done, they told him to ignore the permit terms and keep the stream flowing.
>>
>>997068

That is a massive plant. Enough to get paid to put power back onto the grid.
>>
Is this better than buying a steam turbine off the internet and doing diy biomass?
>>
I'm impressed as fuck.

This is amazing.
>>
File: 1441330111281.jpg (354 KB, 583x1508) Image search: [Google]
1441330111281.jpg
354 KB, 583x1508
>>996845
>Current PV panels pay off their energy deficit in under 4 years

I'm sorry to tell you anon, but if this were true everyone would have PV on their roof top.
>>
>>997370

I agree.

I heard currently it's more like ten years or more.

However the benefits of mass production could lessen that very significantly within decades and efficiency increases will make solar the future for a lot of people that invest in becoming energy dependant.

However, I'm pretty sure plenty of people have passed on great and beneficial investments before and the majority was stupid on more than one occasion.. shit happens
>>
>>997385

PV may get there one day for residential. 10 years is theoretical right now, with actual looking like 15-20, but that's actually a really big increase on what it used to be.

What I would like to see is not a "I have to power my whole house" attitude and more of a "I'll put in a small system and a battery bank for led lighting" attitude. Too bad new houses don't come wired for 5V DC for just the lighting. Transforming the power from DC to AC is pretty inefficient not even considering the inefficiency of the solar panels.
>>
>>997392

Why isn't it efficient?

Couldn't you time the pulses so that you lose only a very minimal amount? I'm no electrical engineer but in theory it seems it can be done efficiently.

Imagine one DC current you're using to power two separate systems and you time it so that you lose very little because you take advantage of the power you're diverting.
>>
>>997370
cost != energy return on investment
>>
>>997414

This is true, too.

The market does not associate costs to produce with the final product...

Otherwise the stock market and all investments are just legal gambling.
>>
>>997401

It's efficient enough to be practical. 95% is a number thrown around a lot.

That said, the efficiency of converting it back into LEDs is a fair bit worse.

You're basically looking at a switched-mode power supply in both directions, at best. Going down from AC is a fair bit less efficient, though, more like 80%. Transformers are good, but not *that* good.

So, 0.95 * 0.80 = 76% efficient compared to direct usage from the panels. That means you're getting a 30% increase in available energy, assuming you're using those LEDs as much as your panel allows.

The power could go into a battery, sure, but charging batteries introduces another ~90% loss or worse. If the battery tops off, that efficiency drops to 0%, since the power isn't being used or stored.

Plugging back into the mains is back up to that 95% figure, so as long as you use more power than your panels put out (by, say, a refridgerator) inverting is generally a better choice.
>>
>>997325
>paid to put power back onto the grid.

That's what it was. No residence, just the generator plant selling power back to the utility.

Built in the early '80s when laws mandated rather lucrative buy-back rates.
>>
you don't even need much to get stated senpai
if you have some water and some scrap parts, you can easily make some easy power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHY9DkD1Hw
>>
>>997774

I've been very interested in doing this for a couple years now.
I'm going to proposition some land owners with a percentage if the power companies still pay right. Possibly start small and work my way up. There are some serious white waters in my state, too.
>>
>>997473

Holy shit, I was pretty much talking out of my ass.

I was just thinking of the "running water" analogies of electricity and trying to think of salvaging and diverting running water with losses imagined as overflow.

I literally know nothing about electricity.
>>
>>996070
Everyone look at the "Lost Alchemist" youtube vids
He posted his hydro power one in here. He only has 36 subscribes and his video was quality af. Looks like he seriously thought abt the script too not just put together a shitt video of him mumbling. Btw i do not know him and am not a shill. Just happened to see his video and be very impressed. Subscribed.
>>
Just as an aside, even though there is obvious energy loss, has anyone ever built a water tower/tank that, when energy production is greater than needed, the system diverts energy to pump water into the tower, and when it is under what is needed it lets water out of the tank to run an auxiliary hydro gen or to backfill the primary gen?
>>
File: toronto-hydro-3.jpg (72 KB, 1089x614) Image search: [Google]
toronto-hydro-3.jpg
72 KB, 1089x614
>>1000091
That would work. What you are basically making is a different type of battery. I'm aware of one company that stores energy with a giant cement block on a railroad track on a hill. Extra energy pushes the block up, when energy is needed they roll the block back down. Pick related would do something similar with underwater compressed air underwater.

Different systems have different efficiencies so it's just a matter of finding one that works for you.
>>
>>1000091
It's very common at hydro damns.
>>
>>997365
and fish friendly they can swimm up and down this thing
>>
File: tubing1.jpg (100 KB, 666x500) Image search: [Google]
tubing1.jpg
100 KB, 666x500
http://ludens.cl/paradise/turbine/turbine.html
>>
File: channel.jpg (49 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
channel.jpg
49 KB, 375x500
>>1000326
>>
File: highpoint.jpg (68 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
highpoint.jpg
68 KB, 375x500
>>1000333
>>
>>1000335
Go on...
>>
>>1000326
thats awesome
>>
File: gen2.jpg (47 KB, 598x500) Image search: [Google]
gen2.jpg
47 KB, 598x500
>>1000335
>>1000352
>>1000364
>>
File: 3benderinaction.jpg (43 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
3benderinaction.jpg
43 KB, 375x500
>>1000335

>>
File: tube2.jpg (72 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
tube2.jpg
72 KB, 375x500
>>1000367

I'm only posting some of the pictures; the site is well worth a read!
>>
File: 6frame.jpg (120 KB, 666x500) Image search: [Google]
6frame.jpg
120 KB, 666x500
>>1000368
>>
File: 6slabready.jpg (76 KB, 666x500) Image search: [Google]
6slabready.jpg
76 KB, 666x500
>>1000370
>>
File: tube3.jpg (59 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
tube3.jpg
59 KB, 375x500
>>1000368
>>1000369
>>1000370
>>1000373

hello
>>
File: 3gabrielbending.jpg (33 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
3gabrielbending.jpg
33 KB, 375x500
>>1000385
>>
File: 3benttube.jpg (62 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
3benttube.jpg
62 KB, 375x500
>>1000387
>>
File: 4testing2.jpg (67 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
4testing2.jpg
67 KB, 375x500
>>1000389
>>
File: 4inthetrench.jpg (65 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
4inthetrench.jpg
65 KB, 375x500
>>1000390
>>
File: 5bridge4.jpg (51 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
5bridge4.jpg
51 KB, 375x500
>>1000391
>>
File: 6housingfromtop.jpg (121 KB, 666x500) Image search: [Google]
6housingfromtop.jpg
121 KB, 666x500
>>1000392
>>
video is already gone. The only real issue with hydro is uncle sam. If he finds out you even touched a creek he will butt fuck you with the epa. Your only choice is to either beg for a permit (lol no!) or do ti discrete. Discrete can really mess with cost. A high rpm high drop system is easy to hide. Everything can be underground and hidden in a shed or a basement. If you dont have that kind of drop, a wheel is in order. They are a LOT cheaper to build and require little to no regulation (mppt charge controller, no dump load needed, the rpm is pretty much set), but very hard to hide, especially the larger ones. Best way to make power off grid.
>>
>>1000503
Funny how anything that the average private civilian could easily or reasonably afford to make/use/build to help himself become 'energy-independent' is aggresively prohibited by the govt
>>
>>1000607

If you relied on a stream for drinking water, and then your upstream neighbor let his cattle run around in it, would you be okay with that?
>>
>>1000728
What is this, the 1800s?
He's already doing that too, that's fucking fine. You assume every single stream in the us is covered in shit already. You don't just drink from it, that's retarded, no one does that. You have filters and holding tanks and pumps and more filters and probably UV,because the cows are already shitting in the field and that runs into the stream anyway.

This is absolutely shitty laws from the 1800s and the epa tun amok. Guy up the road from you starts a mill? But you already have a mill and don't want the competition. Slap him with a lawsuit for obstructing the waterway... Even though it's not doing anything noticable to you.

Is there a tiny ass fish no one gives a shit about and has been struggling to survive for fifty years already,but still surviving fine? Better put thousands of farms out of business in California.
>>
File: 6outletmold.jpg (79 KB, 666x500) Image search: [Google]
6outletmold.jpg
79 KB, 666x500
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.