[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my RV has formed a sizable crack, about 6-8 inches in length,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: cAp3XRJ.png (725 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
cAp3XRJ.png
725 KB, 640x1136
So my RV has formed a sizable crack, about 6-8 inches in length, in it's grey water tank. Unfortunately, (and aggravatingly,) there is not bypass to not use the holding tank and to simply run it into the septic.

As this is being used as a park model (life's tough,) I do not care if it's unable to HOLD water, rather if it able to TRANSFER water.

From my research, the tank is Polyethylene based. What are the recommendations for repairing the bottom of a polyethylene holding tank? Can I use some kind of repair kit or fiberglass tape with some treatment or will that most likely chemically damage the plastic?

[Note: I am aware this will probably just be a band-aid fix and the entire tank will have to be cut out eventually, and I'm working on that. For now, money is tight and I would rather not have to spend a few hundred dollars in plumping supplies to do this right, adding in a bypass.]
>>
>>997670
I had one do that. Just remove the storage tank and get some shark bites and water line and connect the lines together.
>>
>>997685
While I COULD indeed do that, what would make for a good temp fix for a few days? Still gotta take a shower and do some dishes without spilling grey water all over my yard.
>>
>>997670
Poly's a bit of a shit to fix, most common epoxy's will go 'no' and that just leaves plastic welding which is actually a bit tricky if you've not done any before.
Basically- get something like a HDPE bucket, chop out a big area for a patch
Get the blowtorch out and you'll need to heat the plastic tank very quickly, keep the torch moving and don't stop in any one spot... ever.
Once its a bit tacky, put the patch over it and then as above- melt the sides of the patch very quickly and it'll eventually stick there.
After that, assuming nothings on fire or you're not covered in molten plastic, get an old shitty spoon or butter knife, heat it up and smooth over the edges of the patch with the tank so its watertight.

Also
Wear gloves, molten plastic will burn to the bone.
>>
>>997693
I've welded steel and stainless before. Same principles apply?
>>
>>997703
just get some fiberglass and some PU resin
that shit will stick to anything and it wont erode
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.