[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help painting my car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (305 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305 KB, 640x480
So last weekend a pretty bad hail storm came through and damaged all my family's cars. Insurance came through and now my father wants to repaint my car with me (my first car, and he wants me to be a jack of all trades).
Currently my car is silver, pic semi related. We discussed painting it a better color, such as black or some other dark color. However, he said that there are limits on how much difference in colors the old paint and new paint can be. He sent me to figure out how different we can paint my car now, but I've searched Google and can't find anything remotely close to my question.
I looked on the drivers side door jamb and found that the Paint is "3D" and Trim is "GW," I'm not sure what other info is needed.
Can /diy/ help me figure out what "3D" and "GW" means? And how different can I paint my car?
>>
Do you want to paint your car yourself?
>>
>>1022841
Yes. My father and I will be doing as much of the work as we can ourselves. He's painted his truck before, so he knows how to do it and has all the tools, we just need to know more about how much we can change the color
>>
What state do you live in, OP?
>>
>>1022842
If your father knew what he was doing, he would use primer and you could paint the car whatever color you want.
>>
>>1022882
There's also the issue of the trim. You'd have to either paint it or make sure it's an acceptable color to your new paint job
>>
>>1022832
Basically- get your VIN, the model and maker and decode it via them and it'll tell you what the manufacturers colour is.
Most manufacturers will have this info online somewhere.

In terms of colour- strip it right back, couple of layers of primer, any filling that needs to done, final layer of primer- sand and then your colour coats, then the clearcoat, sand and polish
Its often a pain in the arse if you've got unusual temperatures and humidity at the colour-clearcoat stages with some types of paint, so that's why paint shops will often have that controlled.

When changing a colour completely- it can be done, but it also comes down to you wanting to rip the engine out, do under the hood and the boot. Depending on where you are, it'll also need to be updated in terms of rego
>>
>>1022832
>Insurance came through

if that's going to pay for it, why just not have a pro do it?

sure, if you're doing it on the cheap then /diy/ might be an option, but otherwise just spend the money to have it done right
>>
Changing the paint color on a vehicle is not a trivial thing.
Doors, hood, and trunk lid are painted inside and out.
Open the hood and look at the paint on the inside of the fenders.
Open the trunk and look at the edges and inside.
Open the door and look at the latch area and around the windows.
You're going to end up with a black car with silver paint around every opening unless you remove and mask a LOT of the cars parts, seals, and trim.

>>1022832
>figure out what "3D" and "GW" means?

Any auto paint supply house can look this up if you tell them the make, model, and year of your car.
With that info (MMY) you can look it up yourself on Goggle.

-best of luck
>>
Yall can paint like a pro auto body man right?
Like sanding off the clear coat
Prime it
Color
Clear coat it
Sand fine with wet app
Buffer with compound...and shit?
If this is a krylon spray paint then go ahead consider urself a faggot OP
>>
>>1022842
>He's painted his truck before
Show us pictures so we can call your dad a faggot.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.