[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would a dremel with a plunge router attachment suffice for making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
Would a dremel with a plunge router attachment suffice for making the occasional rabbet and dado joints? or should I go for a dedicated one?

I don't do enough woodworking to buy a table saw
>>
if you wanna never do a dado joint again, sure its enough.
>>
>>1021681
elaborate senpai
>>
Dremel stuff is kinda expensive.

Checking UK amazon, its about 25quid. I can buy a big ass router for £30.
>>
>>1021678
I have the fixed dremel router attachment
Its not the best thing in the world, but its been useful on occasion.

Though I have a real router table, a plunge router, and a table saw already. A dremel would probably suffice for small stuff
>>
>>1021678
For the occasional rabbet or dado joint, all you need is a half inch chisel. More would be nice (hammer, marking knife, backsaw perhaps), but the chisel would be fine.
>>
well i dont know if that works well but i can tell you that without that tool (or any other dremel routing tools) routing is impossible with a dremel. even with the expensive cordless one which i bought.
>>
File: bunny rebbet.jpg (121 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
bunny rebbet.jpg
121 KB, 1000x750
>electric tools
don't be a punk ass bitch anon-kun
>>
get a used router it is impossible to usze a dremel
dremel is shit too expansive and not reliable
>>
Why would you want to? I got a 1/2" 2000w router off eBay for £40. Not worth the frustration fucking about with kids toys.
>>
>>1021678
Dedicated router. Fuck dremel. The shittyest china router would still last longer then a dremel. Their shitty tools litearlly last less then a year.
>>
>>1021712
I second this as the cheapest option, but you'll have to actually develop some real skill at using a wood chisel.
>>
definitely not a good substitute for an actual router
>>
Dremels are the jack of all trades, but not an ace of any. They work beautifully for half arseing things and for the little things that you can't be fucked getting out the proper tools for. You can make good joins with one but it would probably be easier to buy a router
>>
>>1021728
you can make one of these with a chisel and a 2x4
>>
>>1021678
I wouldn't spend more than $40 for everything I need. Why? Because you can get a solid plunge router from harbor freight. And last time I saw them those dremel router bits are more expensive than good standard router bits.
>>
>>1021959
Find Paul Sellers on YouTube. Hell, you're in the UK, go find the limey! Seriously though, you'd be amazed at the speed and accuracy of hand tools. I know he makes it look easy, but it's not much harder in reality.
>>
>>1022063
Pual Sellers is who Norm Abrams wants to grow up to be
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.