[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to dig a tunnel/workshop underground near my home
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: RvUFTcM.jpg (422 KB, 650x1976) Image search: [Google]
RvUFTcM.jpg
422 KB, 650x1976
What concerns should I address? How do I avoid killing myself in the process? Should I deal with state/county/city permits? What can I use to reinforce it best without overdoing it? How about water tables? I'm on a hill and I'd hate to see the building pop out of the ground at the first sign of rain.
>>
>>1021229
>how do i engineering degree
go to school
>>
>>1021229
>How do I avoid killing myself in the process?

just wing it and go real slow
>>
>>1021229
Draw out a detailed schematic (measurements and shit)
Go to the city and request a permit
Read about pouring concrete and shit
Have money for more qualified people to do it for you.
>>
>>1021229

Just wing it and go real slow. I'm sure you'll be fine.
>>
>>1021484
>/k/rossposter detected
Seriously tho, OP, look up Disco Dave's tunnel guide. Pretty basic stuff meant for protesters, but useful.
>>
>>1021229
Get a commercial septic tank, modify and bury it.
>>
Have you considered storage containers?
>>
>>1021229
I actually have a similar situation, there is a small convenience store building that was abandoned after a fire happened there, how do I turn it into my personal man cave and what dangers could await anons?
>>
>>1021229
>tunnel/workshop underground

Why?

What is with the obsession of going underground on /diy/? Its almost on the level of shipping containers.
>>
>>1022183
Like ship containers you mean ?
>>
>>1022201
I want to save on land above, the place is really small to start with, so I need all the space possible, the land is quite expensive too.
More expensive than several hundred cubic meters of concrete and reinforced steel.
Also reduced noise levels (all the neighbors)
>>
>>1022208
Yeah, they're really easy to use for this sort of thing. Just dig your hole, drop em in, cover them with dirt. Strong, safe, simple.
>>
>>1022180
probably the most realistic suggestion so far

not that any of this is truly realistic....workshops need space, air, power
>>
>>1022208
>>1022211
No, they cave in.
Fucking containers
>>
File: 1461663837632.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1461663837632.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
>>1022211
>>
Just dig deep op. It won't collapse or anything. That earth is older than you. It's solid.
>>
File: Corrugated Pipe - 122.jpg (116 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Corrugated Pipe - 122.jpg
116 KB, 800x600
>>1022183
>>1022208
>>1022211
Here we go again. Shipping containers strength is all in the frame. The walls and roof are not designed to carry any weight. A better idea would be to use corrugated steel pipe, since that is something that's actually meant to be buried without collapsing.

Just get a 10-12ft diameter pipe. Frame up the floor and any walls you want. Run pipes and conduits for utilities. Finish furnishing the inside however you want. and close up the ends with steel plates, and there you go.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.