[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I just moved in to a new apartment, and I seem to have made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
So, I just moved in to a new apartment, and I seem to have made a mistake by setting up my bed with the head right underneath a window. There's no good way to rearrange the room at this point, but if I have to to improve my sleep I'll consider it.

I want to do something to block out light and sound from coming through the bottom half of the window. I'm hoping this will make the bed area feel more secure and peaceful.

The best idea I've come up with is to cut a piece of wood (32.75''x32.75''x1.5-2'' [this leaves an 1/8 of an inch wiggle-room]), paint it, possibly apply some other material to either or both sides of it, and fit it right into where the window is like a plug. I thought to keep it secure I might use some velcro.

Do you guys have any better ideas? What material if any should I apply to the wood to increase soundproofing? Should I apply weatherstripping to the edges? Is this even going to help much or am I wasting my time?

pic from internet
>>
>>1021088
don't waste time, just rearrange your room. there is no easier solution than this.

unless you live in a dumpster, in that case kill yourself to solve the problem
>>
>>1021088
>block out light
Curtains/shutters/blinds/etc. Take your pick
>block out sound
Earplugs. Literally every other solution is either absolutely retarded, impractical, impossible to do without skills and tools, ridiculously expensive, doesn't work, or all of the above.

Moreover, you'll get used to light and sound anyway.
>>
>>1021099
It'll be worth it for the light blocking alone I think.

As for the sound, I'll be satisfied if it even muffles it. I don't need 100% soundproofing.

As for tools/skills, All I need is a piece of wood cut to measurement and to stick some velcro on it at least. That doesn't seem hard.

Thanks for the suggestion that I'll get used to it regardless.
>>
>>1021088
As a night shift worker, there are special curtains call blackout curtains that are made to block all light. They helped a lot, but the curtain rode sticks out leaving a small gap that drives me nuts, still far better then the old way.

If I owned the building I would think of a simple custom made door, or go radical and remodel the window out completely, but exterior work means proper weather proofing joint work which I am not 100% comfortable with. Or heck tape some Mylar panels/sheets up if people would let me.

Not that as familiar with sound proofing but, complex geometric soft material, stuck to a solid heavy backing should work if it doesn't resonate.
>>
>>1021161

I appreciate your input. This is what I've come up with so far:

WOOD:

32.75 x 32.75 x 1 (2)

32.75 x 1.5 x 1 (4)

29.75 x 1.5 x 1 (4)

FOAM:

29.75 x 29.75 x 1 (2)

sandpaper

white paint

something to attach all the wood
(wood glue, nails [1.5 thick])

something to attach the foam

velcro

As you may see I'm making a panel with a border on one side that surrounds a pad of some kind of sound-absorbing foam. The wood frame around the foam is so that I can attach the velcro which will stick to the wood frame around the window panes. The whole thing will sit inside the greater wooden frame that surrounds the window, and it should fit like a plug in a hole.

So far it seems like this is going to work, but the only issue is I read somewhere that it's ideal to leave space between the foam and the window for optimal sound-blocking. I don't think I have that luxury though or I'll have to sacrifice thickness of the foam. Not sure which is more important.
>>
>>1021320
btw the reason I'm buying double of everything is there are two identical windows.
>>
>>1021088
ITT OP is retarded and has a retarded suggestion on how to fix living in a shitty apartment
>>
>>1021330
>hating yourself so much that you spend your time compulsively insulting other people to make yourself feel better

It's like walking right up to me and telling me you're a loser and hoping it'll upset me.
>>
>>1021088
Another ex third shift worker and current landlord.

Blackout curtains. End of story.

They block light and dampen sound decently enough.

Plus they won't run you afoul of appearence clauses in your lease agreement, which I gaurentee if they're present in your contract and you go jamming planks of wood in your window they'll leave a removal demand in your mailbox
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.