[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to rerun my supply line. Anybody have experience with PEX pipe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: FH11OCT_PEXQA_09.jpg (19 KB, 450x355) Image search: [Google]
FH11OCT_PEXQA_09.jpg
19 KB, 450x355
I want to rerun my supply line. Anybody have experience with PEX pipe?
>>
Yes, I have.
>>
>>1020913
No, I have never used PEX pipe.
>>
>>1020913
No, i knly do plumbing repairs eveey so often for friends and family, and i havent cone across pex yet, usually pvc or copper. but it seems solid and a little easier than pvc. I think you have to buy a tool for the crimps(I don't imagine a basic one being more than $20), but you'll probably make your money back compared to the solvent and primer you'd have to buy and the fittings you'd need every 10 ft with pvc.
>>
Yes I have experience with PEX pipe.
>>
File: 20160425_204948.jpg (220 KB, 1753x986) Image search: [Google]
20160425_204948.jpg
220 KB, 1753x986
Yes. Installed about two miles of it in the bunker. Would have had to buy thousands of fittings if I didn't go with a bendable hose-type installation. Used Uponor brand with their Milwaukee partnership tools.

https://youtu.be/Tn9T-jJqhD4?t=114

Would recommend it.
>>
>>1021205
Pay attention to this man.
>>
>>1021205
I like the uponor pex, the whole heating to correct kinks is complete shit though. Unless it's a loose chunk of pipe it's impossible for heat to fix the kinks in the pipe since the torque on each side tends to twist it different directions unless you chop it, which makes the whole purpose of heating it completely pointless anyway.
We were pulling pex in an old folks home and for some reason the red-colored rolls kink all the fucking time and were way weaker than the plain white ones, and yet you pay more for the colored version.... Plus don't try pulling that shit below 0 celsius, holy jesus is it a nightmare.
>>
I haven't had to solder anything more than a repair in years. Ex tools are cheap now, my first set were anything but., and you needed a separate tool for every size line.

All you need is a pair of clinchers and the right size bands for the line size, 1 tool does everything.
>>
>>1020913
I ONLY use PEX these days.
I prefer the UPONOR pex, the manual expander tool isn't too expensive vs. the Milwakee Power Expander

I like Uponor/Wirsbo by the fact that the fittings are plastic, no metal for crackheads to come and cut out.

We always have to repipe houses after crackheads have cut out the copper or steel water lines
>>
>>1021444
Get your tongue in nice and deep boy
>>
I usually run 1" PVC from the water meter to the house. Then use a male PVC adapter, and tie in with a 1" female PEX adapter with a 3/4" PEX side. Use 3/4" PEX to the water heater and up on the attic if u are on a slab or below if it is a pier home. Connect to any fixture with 1/2" PEX. So all I need is 3/4 and 1/2" crimpers, rings, and fittings.
>>
Pex and sharkbite fittings.all you need.
>>
File: House Plumbing.png (28 KB, 858x1198) Image search: [Google]
House Plumbing.png
28 KB, 858x1198
OP here.

Thanks for the replies everyone. After a bunch of research I've decided that I'm gonna go ahead with PEX.

Pic related is my house setup with the plumbing mapped out before I discovered PEX. What kind of of changes should I make (if any)? Should I do the manifold near the water heater (top right corner) and run a single line to each appliance?
>>
File: House Plumbing.png (18 KB, 858x1198) Image search: [Google]
House Plumbing.png
18 KB, 858x1198
>>1022338
Here's a labeled version for clarity.
>>
>>1022340
The idea is to run as much as possible on the perimeter of the house so I wouldn't have to crawl under it if/when something needs attention. If PEX is as solid as I've been reading it is, then would this be unnecessary? Saving on materials would be nice.

Also, can I run one line to each bathroom and split it to each appliance or should I just run to each appliance from the manifold if I go that route?
>>
>>1022342
>one line to each bathroom and split it to each appliance or should I just run to each appliance from the manifold
Run 3/4" on the outside wall (top and left of drawing).
Run 1/2" from the 3/4" to the shower, tub and sinks.
One 1/2" line with tee taps will be sufficient each run from the 3/4"
>>
>>1022340
why such long line from kitchen sink to tub toilet joint?

seems like waste
>>
>>1022360
>seems like waste
That's exactly what it is. The waste line.
>>
>>1022360
That's the shortest route to the septic. I needed to link up all the waste lines and I'm trying to use as little vent pipes as possible.
>>
>>1022340
Waiting for hot water at shower and sinks is annoying. If you can't move water heater closer to bathrooms then run the hot water pipe in the straitest possible path. Pex needs like zero maintainence. Run that shit underneath strait line style.
>>
>>1022340
Run washer and kitchen sink drain into tub drain. No need to run all the way to toilet branch.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.