[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /diy/ i'm currently thinking about a project that would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: alloy.jpg (67 KB, 432x250) Image search: [Google]
alloy.jpg
67 KB, 432x250
hey /diy/
i'm currently thinking about a project that would require some exotic materials.
does anyone know how much cost the following component (forged, not raw):
-Kevlar
-Titanium
-Carbon fiber

thank you
>>
>>1020663
also wandering if you know some website where you could send the CAD model and get it forged.
>>
>>1020663
forged carbon fibre costs many bitcoins
>>
if you're this stupid and can't even find materials, you're not capable of working with so-called exotic materials. Exotic when, 1940?
>>
>>1020665
i have forged kevlar

100 BTC / cubic foot
>>
File: Soooooo close....gif (52 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Soooooo close....gif
52 KB, 600x600
>>1020663
>Kevlar
>Titanium
>Carbon Fiber
What are you making? Sounds like weapons and/or armor...
>>
OP, I work for a large forging company. What shapes are you trying to make? Or is googleTranslate giving you badnotgood help?

Titanium is expensive.
You don't forge composites.

>>1020670
Getting close
>>
>>1020686
>You don't forge composites.
thanks, don't be autisic tho.
when i said forged i mean not raw material.
btw english isn't my first language.
>>
>>1020694 Needs forged Titanium, shaped/sewn Kevlar, and molded Carbon Fiber for a "project" but >>1020686 is the one who's autistic.

Stay classy /diy/!
>>
>>1020663

Not OP but I also have the need for some exotic materials.
If you guys can help me collect the following I can work on my project I'm not going to tell you anything about.

>>Activated Paladium
>>Extremely fine grained cat fur, preferably tabby
>>If I can't find the tabby fur then the nipple hair of a virgin Singaporean girl will work.
>>A 9 1/2 inch long (must be exact) carbon fiber dildo with balls of mahogany
>>a 1993 Jurassic Park VHS still in the original wrapping
>>An 8th century Viking shield, painted blue and white, not a reproduction
>>
Just get the raw stuff, OP, the cooked stuff is too expensive
>>
>>1020714
>cooked
I prefer boiled.
>>
File: 1u83jfh.png (38 KB, 275x414) Image search: [Google]
1u83jfh.png
38 KB, 275x414
>>1020663
You're trying to make an Iron Man suit aren't you?.... :D

Anyway-
You have to find a place locally / in your own country to buy this stuff, and the price is whatever they say it is. There is no worldwide standard price.

Titanium costs around 10x as much as steel or aluminum does, and about 5x as much as stainless steel does.
Titanium's main (general) advantage is fatigue resistance; it's not the strongest or lightest metal there is. It is also more difficult to machine and weld than many other common structural metals.
Some places like to claim that it's very corrosion resistant, but that depends entirely on the chemicals it's exposed to.

"Forging metal" of any kind is an expensive process, it's not something that can be done cheap if you only want one part or a few parts.

Kevlar and carbon fiber mat isn't really that expensive (if you are an adult who can spend their own paycheck) but working with it is a huge mess. Composites are much easier to work with it you have [well-ventilated] shop space that you can set everything up in.
>>
>>1020694
>Autistic

Ok, so what do you actually want to get? Titanium machined into a shape? Already set carbon fiber? Dragonplate has a lot of plates, tubes and beams, but is expensive.
>>
>>1020663
>Carbon Fibre
>Titanium

You n00b, you want fucking Carbotanium. Get that shit http://www.google.com/patents/US5733390
>>
>>1020741
dude, where are you getting titanium that cheap. Its' 28-34 per lb here. 316 stainless is 2-3
>>
>>1020663
Expect to spend lots
>>1020664
There are none.

For all of these processes expect a back and forth discussion between the manufacturer and you

carbon fiber composites you can make in your garage at reasonable prices. Even if you are making one or two

Titanium forgings will cost assloads. If you aren't making a fuckton of whatever it is you want to make it won't be worth it. You are better off with machining. Even then that will be expensive.

If you have a really complicated part and you can get away with as cast material properties, using additive manufacturing will probably be cheaper.
>>
>>1021889
>28-34/lb
weight =/= volume
>>
>titanium
>Kevlar
>Carbon fiber

So op wants to get into knife making, news at 8. I will still lurk because may find some useful info.
>>
>>1021960
>expensive and difficult to work with, high tensile strength but lower elasticity i.e. will bend out of shape
>dont know much abt kevlar
>very ansiotropic, only strong along fiber length. chopped mat can remedy this somewhat but woven is significantly stronger along major axes than chopped
>>
>>1020710
This will make a great Battle Bot.
>>
>>1020663
>-Kevlar
layered cloth
>-Titanium
aluminum
>-Carbon fiber
fiberglass

your project just got 20x cheaper. thank me later
>>
>>1022006
But will not have that high end, premium touch.
>>
>>1020710
I have the 1993 VSH, the cat hair, and the viking shield but its not painted blue and white but can be
>>
>>1022006
Carbon fiber and kevlar are both types of fiberglass dumb ass
>>
>>1022058
I thought they were just improved forms of asbestos?
>>
>>1020710
I have the dildo you seek except it is 9 51/100 inches, is that ok?
>>
>>1022058
>CARBON fiber
>C A R B O N
Fiberglass is made from...wait for it...glass, which normally doesn't even contain carbon in any form
btw cloth is also made of fibers
>>
Sounds like OP wants to build a indestructible canoe
>>
>>1022104
2/10 troll harder
>>
>>1021889
>dude, where are you getting titanium that cheap. Its' 28-34 per lb here. 316 stainless is 2-3
What I meant was, for a tube of about the same strength and stiffness as a given tube of 6061 aluminum or 4130 steel, the titanium tube will cost around 10X as much.
The place I get metal at has lots of salvage and drops, so that guess may be below the typical rates for new stock.

I've only ever bought any titanium twice:
--once was when I bought some 1/8" solid wire/rod, because someone who makes chain-mail stuff asked me to get some for them
--once I bought a 7-foot thin-wall tube about 3/4" OD and .020 wall I think, because someone who was a science teacher wanted a non-aluminum, non-ferrous metal tube for classroom demo*. I think I paid $85 for that piece, where a aluminum or steel tube the same size might have cost maybe $7.

*(-they wanted to be able to do the eddy-current demo [where you drop a strong magnet through an aluminum tube, and it slides through slowly] and they wanted a non-ferrous, non-aluminum tube to compare the aluminum tube to... At the metals place, we checked a few different kinds of stainless tube they had, and all of it was at least partly magnetic. The Ti tube was the only kind that a magnet didn't stick to at all)
>>
>>1020694

You are the one looking for help acting like an autist. You dont need to be a native speaker, to check proper names of materials you need.
>>
>>1022585
>-they wanted to be able to do the eddy-current demo [where you drop a strong magnet through an aluminum tube, and it slides through slowly] and they wanted a non-ferrous, non-aluminum tube to compare the aluminum tube to...

Copper?
>>
>>1022585
>non-ferrous
>stainless steel
Either that science teacher is also a football coach, or you're a fucking tard.

Also, pretty much all conductive materials form eddy currents when exposed to a strong enough magnetic field.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.