[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any knappers on here? I'm trying to find the best commercially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: floor tile arrowheads.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
floor tile arrowheads.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
Any knappers on here? I'm trying to find the best commercially available tile to practice knapping with. There are all sorts of porcelain and ceramic tile available but most of them lack the fractious qualities of real stone. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Also, knapping general?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I bought some porcelain tile and it's been alright, but you can see from the flake scars the material scales and breaks a little too easily.
>>
>>1020412
Why not just get flint?
>>
>>1020412
Could always try glass and I've also seen Agate as well knapped, dunno how they do it exactly but the principle should be similar
>>
>>1020412
Many are made from talc, that won't work. You just need to find the right kind, actual porcelain.

Glass is good, but has a totally different look.

You can order chert cobbles. I have no experience doing this, but I imagine the weight makes delivery expensive.

Too bad you don't have local materials. I have chalky ground here, so plenty of flint.
>>
File: 20150910_164116.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150910_164116.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>1020412
I tiles knap like ass. Start drinking Jager and do indirect percussion on the bottoms.
>>
>>1020412
I usually only practice when I'm camping, typically on discarded beer bottles. Glass seems to be the best material as far as uniformity and flake size goes. Plus, garbage is free.
>>
>>1021030
too much trace lead...
>>
Try bottle glass, old porcelain (hit up an estate sale), stuff like that. The main thing is you want it to be homogenous so the force propagates evenly through the material. Look up Kimberley points - the Australian Aborigines make them out of all sorts of modern materials, e.g. old telephone wire insulators.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.