[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /diy/ One of the screws holding my glasses together, by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: glass-diagram[1].jpg (27 KB, 612x337) Image search: [Google]
glass-diagram[1].jpg
27 KB, 612x337
Sup /diy/

One of the screws holding my glasses together, by the end piece, keeps coming loose. I'm assuming I could use loctite or some other thread-locking product to stop this from happening, but I don't have any on hand, and I kind of doubt I'll be needing it in quantity anytime soon. Plus I'm kind of broke.

Any cheap-ass substitutions? Superglue, nail varnish, whatever?
>>
if the frames are all metal, superglue. If you ever need to remove the screw for any reason, acetone will dissolve superglue easily.
>>
>>1019547
It's all metal. Should the superglue be applied while the screw is tightly screwed in, or should I loosen it a bit, apply the glue, then tighten?
>>
using glue in a situation like this, where the area is so small, is hopeless. a paper clip, bent into a loop will last forever. tho it'll get rusty after a few years, so you'll have to replace it. i got some thin stainless steel hobby wire, for making bracelets and such, and it's lasted over 4 years looking good as new.
>>
In Europe, loctite is just a brand of super glue
>>
>>1019567
I was super confused last time I went to get some loctite since the entire display was various kinds of superglue. Do they keep the real loctite somewhere else, I wondered. Finally I saw it. Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
File: t_lkr_blue.png (104 KB, 190x324) Image search: [Google]
t_lkr_blue.png
104 KB, 190x324
>>1019567
>>1019576
Loctite is a brand of glues, and loctite blue (or red, which is stronger) is a common and cheap thread locker
>>
File: IMGA0005.jpg (305 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMGA0005.jpg
305 KB, 1280x720
>>1019542
I completely broke one of my hinges and soldered it back together.
>>
>>1019609
wait, the hinge, or the end piece (bit that holds the lens in place)?
>>
>>1019615
The way they were built used one bolt to both make a hinge and hold the rims to the lenses.
>>
Bend a short length of paperclip
>>
>>1019542
I just glue mine together with superglue when they break.
>>
>>1019549
Take the screw out (don't lose it for fucks sake) put a drop of super glue on the threads then put the screw back in and tighten, five minutes and you should be good to go, be careful not to get any super glue on the lenses especially if they are plastic ones.

My GF had a similar problem with her reading glasses and she used clear nail varnish instead of super glue.
>>
>>1019550
>>1019709
Nope, not unless you've lost the screw altogether and even then you can get a new screw from any good opticians for pocket change.
>>
>>1019581
So what is the difference between the Red, Blue, Green and Purple threadlocker?
Red is stronk - requires heat or much force to overcome
Blue is medium strength and removes with hand tools
Green is medium-high for set-screws and such and has wicking properties to help penetrate - it may require some heat with hand tools to overcome
Purple is low strength and useful for softer metals
>>
>>1019941
Are they all cyanoacrylate based?
>>
Dude I work at a repair shop for glasses, you could just replace the screw for like 3 bucks. Find one nearby, just use Google-fu.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.