[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>freezer fan is iced up and doesnt work >decide to de-ice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Amana SZD20MPE.jpg (124 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
Amana SZD20MPE.jpg
124 KB, 432x288
>freezer fan is iced up and doesnt work
>decide to de-ice it
>syringe boiling water onto it until it starts to turn again
>works for 5 minutes
>electrics go out in the fridge
>fan stops spinning
>now both fridge and freezer are broken

any ideas are welcome. or you can just laugh at me. gonna cost me $110+ to fix it tomorrow.
>>
>>1018201
>put water in motor
you have to be 300% retarded to do this
but it's easy fix, just take it apart and clean off the oxidised areas and re oil it
>>
>>1018201
for future reference, a $30 steamer machine works better
>>
Why didn't you use a hair dryer?
>>
>>1018210
for fuck sake no, the steam will be as bad if not worse to the motor, just use a hot air gun or hairdrier
>>
>>1018201
>gonna cost me $110+ to fix it tomorrow.

Are you having a guy come out and look at it or are you just gonna buy a new fan for it?

The fan shouldnt ice over, so you may have another problem elsewhere.
>>
>>1018232
Guy coming out. I don't know shit about fridges.

The fan, the fan casing, the entire back and floor of the freezer was iced/frosted. Once I got the rest of the ice out I used a syringe to squirt boiling water over the fan. Eventually it started turning on its own. Five minutes later the whole fridge stopped working.

The thing still plays its startup tune when you turn on the power, and something's still audible like a motor from it, but the power's out, the little remaining ice is continuing to melt and its warming up. Got a bag of ice in there until tomorrow.

No idea what the fuck happened.

>>1018230
Don't have one, the hot water syringe worked fine in the past.
>>
>>1018235
Fill us in on what the guy says
>>
File: keepmeposted.jpg (11 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
keepmeposted.jpg
11 KB, 209x241
>>1018244
definitely
>>
>>1018235
Why did you think it was a good idea to inject water of any temperature into an electrical device? Assuming it didn't melt any of the coil insulation when it shorted out it should work again when you dry it out, otherwise you'll need to buy a new motor.
>>
Probably your defrost timer failed. Then you killed the motor.
>>
>>1018235
>Motor covered in ice
>LOL ILL JUST MELT IT WHILE ITS RUNNING WHAT COULD HAPPEN?
>It stops working
File this one under 'that'll learn ya' you fucking retard.

Ask here first next time.
>>
>>1018201
empty it, turn it off and let it defrost. See if that fixes it. Always defrost in the first place.

The ice is probably coming from a bad seal or the door being left open.
>>
>>1018205
at first i spected him to microwave the motor while i read this
>>
i'm with this guy >>1018364
whenever a fridge ices over it's usually coz the defrost timer has stopped in cold mode. often the timer is just a motor with an 8-hour cycle (7.5 hours of cold, and 30 mins of heat to defrost) and motors get weak with age and just stop. you can hit 'em and they'll start up again but not for long.
>>
appliance repair fag here.

actual answer varies greatly depending on what kind of fridge you have... post model# and serial # for best results... could be you shorted the motor when you watered it... could be you have a frigidaire with a dc motor and you accidentally'd the entire dc circuit from the board through the fan to ground..(in which case its gonna suck a lot)....

tomorrow make sure to tell the repairguy that the entire evaporator was frosted over... if it's defrosted by the time he's there and you don't tell him this it's pretty likely he'll fix the fan and not catch the defrost problem... the more information you give him the better (and less time consuming) the results are generally gonna be....

also while timer is a good possibility it's more likely it's the bimetal switch... unless it's a ge.. in which case most likely problem is the actual heater since GE still uses the spring in a tube style....

>>1018373
if the ice was just on the front of the panel and around the fan then this is likely... if after you got the panel off the entire evaporator was covered in ice like a solid block then it was more likely a defrost issue and not a seal problem...

also look.... in general... I strongly support trying to DIY appliance repair... a lot of stuff is easy to fix yourself with a bit of googling... this is the sort of thing that I'm a bit overkill for... I'm not short of the kind of work that isn't overkill for appliance repair... I'd rather do more of that...

however... for the love of god unplug stuff before you start fucking around with it like this.... maybe consider drying it off if it's covered in water....

also I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the fan might be actually bad... usually they can handle a surprising amount of moisture on them without shorting.... did it start on it's own, or did you bump it and it started spinning?
>>
>>1018509
also when you plugged it back in how long did you give it to start working? if your lucky you might just have one with a pause between power up and cooling... the idea is that the compressor can't start against head pressure so in case of power outages and stuff the fridge "waits" a few minutes between when the power comes back on and when it starts the compressor so that the pressure in the system has a chance to equalize...

good luck...

ask for part numbers from the guy... ask how long they warranty their work for...
google the parts yourself... if his numbers are stupidly higher than yours... ask if you can buy the parts and have him put them on...
>>
also did they say the 110$ would get it fixed? or just get the tech to the house? again depending on what broke 110$ might not even cover the cost of the parts....
>>
>>1018235
Funny thing is, appliance repairmen keep a hair dryer on them for defrosting fridges, not syringes. It's not a coincidence.
>>
>>1018509
Millennials... don't know... how to properly type... without ... doing this shit...
>>
>>1018759
Whatever oldfag. You'll be dead soon enough. From old age. You prune
>>
>>1018235
You blew the compressor fuse, duck dick.
>>
>>1018201
For fucks sake people. If your freezer needs to be defrosted just by a brick of dry ice from the store. If they dont sell it, ask the frozen department manager to save you a brick from the ice cream chest on the next truck.

Break it in pieces. Throw the frozen stuff in the crisper tray with the broken dry ice and shut the door. Unplug the fridge and leave the freezer door open over night. In the morning close it and plug it back in. And move your frozen stuff back to the freezer.

Done. No standing there with a hair dryer or heat gun. No circle jerking. No fucking with the bolts on the back panel. No fuss, no muss.
>>
>>1018759
fuck you... I... am captain... kirk....
>>
>>1018754
I have a heat gun as a backup, however I prefer a steamer... cuts through ice better and less chance of melting the plastic cabinet.
>>
>>1018201
condenser heater or sensor for the heater
>>
>>1019993
why would you heat the condenser?

since it's kicking the heat out of the unit there by converting the high pressure gas back into liquid... or... condensing it...?
>>
>>1018759
Ellipses... Are... Older... Than... You.. Oldfag.. GenXer...
>>
>>1019998
yeah i read that again. check your condenser, heater (on coils to defrost when it ices up), or sensor for the heater.
>>
>>1020462
the point I was getting at is that a fridge has an evaporator heater... your confusing the evaporator and condenser in a fridge... the evaporator frosts up and has to defrost the condenser kicks out heat and doesn't need defrosted...

granted it's semantics.. but it sounds dumb when it's backwards....
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.