[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HVAC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 127x87) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 127x87
So, DIY, how tough would it be to replace the compressor on my condenser? I've gotten pro estimates and they seem outrageous.
>>
Dunno man, looks like you'd need some pretty specialized tools and maybe a magnifying glass. That thing's pretty small, maybe you should just pay the guy.
>>
>>1017088

do you have a manifold gauge, vacuum pump, nitrogen, refrigerant, oxyacetylene rig?
>>
>>1017088
the reason they charge you so much is because they (usually) have to guarantee it for a few years.
>>
>>1017098
>>this
rip out, replace.
>>
>>1017098
Not to mention you can't even get the refrigerant without the EPA cert.
>>
>>1017150
U can make your own refrigerant. Common now part of diy is about knowing how to chemistry too!
>>
>>1017088
>I've gotten pro estimates and they seem outrageous
Have you priced just the compressor?
They're pretty outrageous by themselves.

>>1017098
>o you have a manifold gauge, vacuum pump, nitrogen, refrigerant, oxyacetylene rig?
And know how to use them?
Probably not or you wouldn't have made this thread.
>>
>>1017088
As an hvac tech its really not that hard desu, as long as you know how to braze, i work for a shitty company and we hardly evacuate a system, wether it be r22 or r410a, so far no moisture or no condensibles in the system, not that it cant hapen, but it hasnt hapened to me yet
>>
>>1017088
>So, DIY, how tough would it be to replace the compressor on my condenser? I've gotten pro estimates and they seem outrageous.
I had mine go after 'only' 12 years. Typically they last 20 to 30+ years. This was a very cheap brand tho.

The compressor motor failed due to a shorted turn.
The compressor motor is sealed *inside* the compressor unit, so you can't just change the motor. The entire compressor is welded shut with the motor inside; there's no way to open it non-destructively.

Putting in a new compressor would have cost $1000, and putting in a whole new unit would cost only about $1450. This was one for a 1250 sq ft house.
PLUS, newer models are more energy efficient, and they usually have at least a 5 year warranty.

The AC guy (a long-time family friend) recommended just going with the new unit.
If the condenser fan failed, that would be another $200 to fix and then I'd have paid almost the cost of a new unit, but not gotten the new-unit warranty or the new-unit efficiency improvements.
>>
get the model # off the compressor and post it lets see how much it is
>>
>>1017150
>Not to mention you can't even get the refrigerant without the EPA cert.

Myth designed to shill for businesses. I order mine online to service my trucks. Note that small wasteful cans are sold at auto stores. My 30lb tank was about eighty bucks off Ebay.
>>
>>1017088
Doing the brazing isn't hard. Getting the part and compressor oil if needed could be hard. Manufacturers make a lot of money on replacement parts and have very few channels.

What will be hard is doing the vacuum pumpdown of the system and refilling the refrigerant. The refilling itself isn't hard, but refrigerant is pretty expensive so its' wise to use a reclaim system, which is expensive, so you aren't replacing 100% of it.
>>
>>1017150
Protip. You can use propane in place of r22. It is actually more efficient at heat transfer and will not react with r22 so you can blend as needed.
>>
>>1018948
Compressor oil, UV dye for leak checks, and Red Angel sealer in case you've a pinhole somewhere are readily available online.

I don't do home HVAC (yet anyway) so no idea on parts.

I bought a Robinair vacuum pump but you can find cheaper new ones or buy used off Craigslist

https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-15500-VacuMaster-Economy-Vacuum/dp/B000O1C47M

Auto AC systems are easy to service with oil via turkey baster or large syringe, but home systems may need one of these, HVAC Anons can give specifics.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Angel-00224-Oil-Injector/dp/B00NIJU9AG/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1467842672&sr=1-3&keywords=red+angel+ac+stop+leak
>>
>>1018958
What the hell?

Can anyone confirm this?
>>
>>1018997
it's not like it'll combust if there's no oxygen
>>
>>1018997
R290, R600. R1270
>>
>>1018997
>Can anyone confirm this?
I don't know if you can mix it, but a guy I know IRL who became a HVAC tech said that UK systems all use propane.
>>
>>1017252
Do you know the brand and model of your ac? I need to get a new one myself.
>>
>>1018997
If you get a leak, it can easily catch fire. Especially if the leak is on the furnace side. Some older systems still have a year round pilot light. Good luck explaining that one to your insurance company.
>>
This thread is hilarious.

>use propane

Kek.

Op, its a high price for a reason, pay peanuts, get monkeys.
>>
File: R290.png (149 KB, 944x755) Image search: [Google]
R290.png
149 KB, 944x755
>>1019124
>R290
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.