[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any information on laptop building?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: images-3.jpg (27 KB, 639x457) Image search: [Google]
images-3.jpg
27 KB, 639x457
Any information on laptop building?
>>
>>1016342
Any questions?
>>
>>1016342
Too much work, time, and money to do it. You can build one, but you will never get it as closer to a normal laptop.
>>
>>1016342
I think you mean "laptop assembling".

The laptops you "build", with the exception of the Novena, are just laptops designed like any other that inexplicably come in kit form. You get the exact same laptop as if you'd used any normal manufacturer's options list, except you do a load more work, there's no warranty, and you don't save any money*.

* Unless you pirate Windows instead of paying for it.
>>
>>1016342
Have you tried the google?
>>
>>1016348
I want it to be quite custom, with the motherboard, cpu, ram, screen, hard drive all coming individually, then assembling it into a Macbook 2014 chassis. How difficult do you think it would be?
>>
>>1016564
I would think so, seeing as all laptop parts are built to spec for their intended product, meaning they are made to fit exclusively in their laptop with their parts. The ones you order might not mesh together in your case. Have you checked the specs of your parts?
>>
>>1016342
Broom broom
>>
>>1016564
You are an idiot - you do realise that?
You might be able to find components to build a laptop but it's pretty much impossible to fit such components into anything but a custome designed case OR the case that the original motherboard was engineered for,.
>>
File: 149814914.jpg (23 KB, 467x386) Image search: [Google]
149814914.jpg
23 KB, 467x386
>>1016591
>minecraft
>>
>>1016591
what the fuck is that a stove
>>
>>1016593
The exception being that you could fit a very small ARM based board in a laptop chassis in order to make a low power Linux kinda build. Pretty pointless to waste all of that space, but I suppose you could fill it with extra battery cells or something.
>>
>>1016392
>DIY
>windows
plx
>>
>>1016639
>or something

There is a lot of or somethings in the world, anon.
>>
>>1016564
On a scale of easy to hard, impossible
>>
>>1016564
I'm working on a similar project, but with a much larger case and a single board ARM based computer. I think I am going to have space for a mech keyboard(maybe need be custom, maybe not), built in SDR or two, and some other built in lab equipment, like maybe a USB oscilloscope... Idk, it depends on how much space I have inside after I gut the thing.
>>
>>1016639
>>1016663
This
>>
>>1016610
>hack frauds
>>
>>1016564
Unless you're literally just shoving a raspberry pi loose in a macbook chassis you are never going to get everything to fit.
>>
>>1016639
>>1016713
actually just put a raspberry pi in there and fill the rest of the space with LiPo batteries
>>
>>1016714
There are ARM boards with significantly more power than a raspbpi.
>>
>>1016564
you do realize that laptop manufacturers order custom designed parts in order to fit inside their housings, right?

And that's basically impossible for you, since unlike Apple, you aren't ordering 30 million units so the only way you will get a properly sized one is to pay through the nose.
>>
>>1016342
Don't.
>>
I've thought about putting a raspberry pi into a laptop case. They can be very thin when you start desoldering things.

I was thinking an eeePc case.

I know it's hard to reuse old screens, there is a pi touchscreen on eBay that I s 10.1 with a driver board that will fit in the case.

That leaves you up to figure out your own battery bank and charger system, and how to utilize the existing keyboard and touchpad.
Is there an easy way to interface the keyboard?
>>
>>1016564
If you have to ask, you probably can't do it. Keep learning until you can.
>>
>Buy older thinkpad
>replace screen, HDD, RAM, any broken parts for best available
>????
>profit

Don't bother building some shit kit laptop just to be the speshul fag you are, OP. Be economical. Be wise.

Unless you're gaming, in which case you're a retard for not building a tower.
>>
oh, and this thread kind of belongs on >>>/g/, assuming you know remotely what you're doing.
>>
>>1016929
>building something
>belonging on a board that specifically says "not technical support" over the Do It Yourself board.

What kind of logic is that?
>>
>>1016564
Yea, not going to happen.

You can put newer parts into older laptops, because most older laptops are bi......

You know what, fuck you. You are too fuckin stupid to explain this shit to. Go outside and hit yourself in the nuts with a good size stone.
>>
>>1016342
>Cult of Mac
discarded, also ask a question next time
>>
File: derplo_01ur892.png (18 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
derplo_01ur892.png
18 KB, 600x441
>>1016639
there is the pi-top kits out now-
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/pi-top-laptop-review/
they cost too much IMO tho.
Sparkfun wants $265 for them (currently backordered)...
And yea, Sparkfun isn't exactly the cheapest place around to buy electronics stuff. But r-pi stuff just plain costs too much as it is.
For $250 you can get a real Windows laptop, and put Linus PenguinSperg on it if you insist.

The more I've browsed r-pi shit, the more I've realized that r-pi seems way overpriced for what hardware it has on it.
Even in china-land they want like $75 for a BARE r-pi and screen, when there is 7" android tablets for $40, bluetooth keyboards for $10, and you can get a little vinyl flip-folder to hold them both for $5.
$55 for a complete android mini-laptop, just bluetooth only/no USB master.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
you can kind of do it if you use thin ITX boards and repurpose older laptop components like keyboards and displays
for the most part you're just going to end up with something like >>1016591 or pic related

>>1016610
>2016
>not enjoying heavily modded minecraft
>>
>>1016929
>oh, and this thread kind of belongs on >>>/g/, assuming you know remotely what you're doing.
nah, they'd just say to go buy a thinkpad
>>
>>1018415
But a raspberry pi has a higher chance of working and lasting longer then your cheap ass Chinese android/win8.1/win10 tablets. Hell RCA made a small cheap ass tablet and loaded it up with ads so they can keep making money off your cheap crack head ass.
>>
>>1018734
>But a raspberry pi has a higher chance of working and lasting longer then your cheap ass Chinese android/win8.1/win10 tablets

What makes you say that
They all come out of the same sweatshops
>>
>>1018746
Your mom came from a sweatshop. Proof? She had you.
>>
>>1018734
>But a raspberry pi has a higher chance of working and lasting longer then your cheap ass Chinese android/win8.1/win10 tablets.

>>1018746
>What makes you say that
>They all come out of the same sweatshops

A lot of the cheapies do have a lot of complaints on aliexpress about not lasting very long; 3-6 months is common. Nobody seems to say what exactly goes wrong with them tho, or have a clue how to fix them. They just suddenly stop working.

I've never dug into the matter myself.
There is pages that note that it may have something to do with drivers that get corrupted with bad updates, and that then you have to drain the batteries totally to re-download a working ROM to get them running again.
One page-
http://www.blogtechtips.com/2015/01/03/tablet-wont-turn-bricked-dead-fix/
>>
>>1018733

If he goes to the Thinkpad website, then he can have everything on his wishlist except the poserbook shell.

Instead, he'll have a laptop who's monolithic design landed it a place in an art museum. Yet people still want that Apple shit-on-a-stick.
>>
>>1016591

That is a lovely looking laptop. Any idea on specs? Or sauce?
>>
>>1019360
This is the most ironic post I have seen in a long ass time

Lelnovo has done nothing but slowly ruin the iconic design of the Thinkpad.

They are no longer built well, its just regular old consumer trash with a matte black finish nowadays.
>Yet people still want that Apple shit-on-a-stick.

Funny Thinkpads have removed 90% of what made them unique in order to be more like an Apple computer.

The /g/ likes thinkpad meme is dead.
/g/ likes t60s, and begrudgingly likes thed mediocre xx20 series. Get them off lease now, because the xx30s series is when they really went downhill
>>
>>1016591
how do i communicate with it?
>>
>>1019371
When I see thinkpads, all I can think is clit mouse.

My linux laptop is a dell though, so in some ways maybe I should be ashamed too.
>>
>>1019476
>all I can think is clit mouse

This is exactly why Lenovo has mercilessly ruined the thinkpad line.

And there has even been a Lenovo blog post talking about how people need to let go of features like the Trackpoint. They havent removed it yet, but its only a matter of time.
>>
File: i am become knifehands.png (481 KB, 475x599) Image search: [Google]
i am become knifehands.png
481 KB, 475x599
>>1019484
The best fucking part.
>reeee
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.