[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to remove this tiny screw on my laptop that has a stripped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160629_204240721.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160629_204240721.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
How to remove this tiny screw on my laptop that has a stripped head and is on very tight?
>>
>>1015639
Blowtorch, the metal threads around it heat up and expand more than the screw does.
>>
>>1015644
What do I do if I don't have a blowtorch laying around?
>>
>>1015639
Take a flathead screwdriver and tap it lightly with a hammer until it makes a dent in the screw head, then unscrew it.
>>
>>1015639
Philips or torx screwdriver, whichever fits best. Super glue tip to screw. Pray.
>>
>>1015639
place a rubber band between the screwdriver and the screw.
>>
>>1015664
>>1015668

Can I combine these two methods?
>>
Go back in time and use the right tools
>>
>>1015639
use a small plier
>>
>>1015676
Yes, but that would make a worse mess while not applying better torque. Try the rubber band first. If it fails, use the glue. Unless you want to try the proper tool for the job, which is a tiny screw extractor.
>>
Miniature cold chisels and tap it in a rotary motion.
>>
>>1015639
drill it out
>>1015753
he can just use flat head screwdriver
>>
>>1015639
Epoxy a nail into the middle. Use vice grips to undo the screw by gripping the nail.
>>
>>1015639
carve flathead into screw somehow?
Solder something to it?
>>
>>1015664
Super glue doesn't work well with metals. Go to the store for glue dediacted to metal or do what >>1015759 said. Bend nail into L-shape for easier unscrewing.
>>
>>1015639
its easy...dont buy dell
>>
rubber band in between the screw and the driver. Might not work depending on how stripped the head is
>>
>>1015781
Would you kindly crawl back to /g where you belong?
>>
>>1015639
Take the laptop to a good tool store, and buy the screwdriver that fits that screw best.

Gently but firmly turn the screw clockwise to break the seal, then unscrew as normal.
>>
Weld another head on it you can grip with a tool.

Drill down into it, use a thin drill first then progressively larger intil the screw snaps and you can shake it loose.
>>
Dremel, cut a slot across the head of the screw, then use a flathead.

Or, get fucked screw removers, they're pretty cheap and a set of them is worth having around.
>>
>>1015802
>Weld another head on it you can grip with a tool.

yeah tig weld a 4-40 nut on that bad boy then twist it out. also buy a replacement plastic case for the one you melted
>>
>>1015639
>grab it from the side with pliers (grooved tips)
>carve a slot in it with a rotary tool and use a philips screw driver to remove it
>superglue a torx bit to it
>use a left handed drill bit
>...
the options are almost endless, just make sure not to overheat the nut and ruining the plastic casing
gl
>>
>>1015879

The dremel and rubberband idea are the only ideas worth a shit.
>>
>>1015879
Best last ditch effort could be to dremel a line across for a flat head screw driver. But first try your chances with other screw drivers. They may fit and get it out. As you may not have a similar screw just laying around. Could also carefully put wd40 on the screw or other penetrating oils. Maybe even dish soap? Never tried it but it would be better then harsh chemicals.>>1015639
Just be careful and don't stress anything. You break it, you're fucked.
>>
File: snowblowerneedlenosevisegrips.jpg (47 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
snowblowerneedlenosevisegrips.jpg
47 KB, 600x450
Grip around the screw using a small needle nose vise grip and turn it little by little if you have enough space to turn it
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.