[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Build my own garage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1958901[1].jpg (22 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
1958901[1].jpg
22 KB, 500x276
Hello /diy/, I come to you for help/Google-Fu.

The house I bought doesn't have a garage. I know, big failure on my part. But, the rest of the house is what I needed, and the price was right.

The house does have a space for a garage, in fact a poured concrete pad that was done 2 years ago. I haven't investigated if it's a fully reinforced slab, or if it's just an above ground pour. I'll investigate that and cross that bridge later. Regardless, it's a 22' deep x 24' wide slab.

Here's what I need from you. I know how to frame, shingle, run electrical... Bu what I don't know, is how much of what I need. Yes I know I need some pressure treated, some standard 2x4, OSB, siding of some sort, shingles, prefab trusses...But HOW MUCH? I'd prefer 10', but 8' walls will work. This is in MN, so 16" OC studs, 24" OC trusses. Not that it matters now, but yes I'll be hanging drywall and insulating as I'll run gas/electric/cable+data out to it.

TL;DR. Building 22'dx24'wx8'h, need parts qty list/generator website.
Pic related
>>
>>1015572
Not even trying to be a dick, but either Home Depot or Lowe's (and probably any lumber yard for that matter) will help you do that math if you take in just a rough drawing. They'll probably cut you a deal on the stuff too, like maybe 10% off if you order it then. Not sure about how easy it would be to return what you don't use.
>>
>>1015578
Pretty sure menards sells garage kits you can get delivered and just build yourself
>>
>>1015588
OP here.

Indeed, that is where I stole the pic from.

While not officially Jewish, I'm just wondering if I can get the supplies cheaper if I go in with a shopping list instead of buying their kit
>>
>>1015572
Google wall framing calculator, input your dimensions.

I use H2 structural grade (Pressure treated) on the majority of my jobs it's only $0.2 p/lm more.

As for OSB I beleive you guys line your wall and roof frames with this so you need to get the lineal meters of the walls and times it by your ceiling height then minus openings.For the roof just do the same as shingles times roof height by width. Then just divide it by the sheets square meters. A standard 2440x1200 is 2.9 sq.m

I presume Siding is exterior cladding just take your building's perimeter and times it by the wall height and minus the openings for windows/doors.

I have no idea how shingles are purchased I presume just in square meters, So as with everything else just times your roof length by width and purchase that amount of shingles.

In Australia you just send your drawings out to truss companies and they work out what you need but if it's different over there all you need to do is divide your roof length by your spacing round the answer up and add 1.
>>
>>1015893
It's generally not really a kit. It's just the same as what you want to do

>in store computer plan prints out part list
>you set up a delivery
>the poor bastard who's a load puller. Gathers all your lumber,plywood,etc.
>the poor bastard's only reprieve is he takes off his uniform and goes inside to gather hardware off the shelves without being bugged. Because he has 10 garage loads,15 deck loads, 20 shingle loads and 30 million block loads to pull in a 10 hour shift.

Delivery or not it's all the same shit off the shelf to begin with.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.