[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Air conditioner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
File: noria-air-conditioner-4.jpg (32 KB, 680x526) Image search: [Google]
noria-air-conditioner-4.jpg
32 KB, 680x526
Why the hell doesnt anyone build a narrow tall air conditioner?
Its my understanding that the parts can be arranged in nearly and fashion.
So what the fuck gives?
>land lord decides to install new windows and makes them left to right sliders.
>Largest opening is 12in.
>wants an extra $100/mo in rent if he installs AC.
Fml.
What do?
Pic related isnt available till spring 2017 and is still like 20 something inches wide....
>>
>>1015468
>what is a portable airconditioner
>what is taping some ducts to a standard window AC and putting it on top of a milk crate to make a portable air conditioner
>>
>>1015472
Just returned a portable AC because it took up a ton of room. I have a small apt. It also was extremely weak and basically sucked in its own hot air from the exhaust tube that goes out the window.
I habe two windows. One over my sink. So the exhaust tube was in the way and my AC unit was in the middle of my tiny kitchen.
The other in my bedroom is next to my bed which cant be moved. So it wont work.
>>
>>1015476
Do you live in a closet or something?
>>
>>1015511
May as well.
What about capping off the ends of a radiator, filling it with water, and freezing it.
Then putting it in front of a box fan?
>>
>>1015476
>I have a small apt

If your apartment is that small, you could easily cool it with your fridge/freezer.

Just leave the fridge door open about 2 inches. Your food will stay cold, and the cold air will enter your apartment.

Protip: On really hot days, use both the fridge & freezer.
>>
>>1015516
unless you have a freezer outside the room, your freezer will output more heat than the radiator will absorb
Plus the radiator wont even survive being frozen
>>
>>1015519
No
>>1015520
Maybe an aluminum intercooler then?
>>
>>1015476
....put both hoses out same window.... cut exhaust hose at window... extend intake hose so it's a few feet down the wall.... hot exhaust air rises... so it won't get sucked into the intake... do you even thermodynamics bro?

also there is a limit to the configurations for a window ac unit... you need a certain amount of space for the fan and compressor and such... their are limits to the shapes you can put it in....
>>
>>1015524
>their are limits to the shapes you can put it in
No there arent
>>
>>1015519
I REALLY hope this is a troll.
>>
>>1015468
>Largest opening is 12in.

Isn't there some local regulation that say windows need to be x amount in size for egress during fires? I mean how many legit exits are there from the apartment?
>>
>>1015468
I dunno, but I was in the same situation. I got a window mount unit and put foam up over the open area.

It works great, except now I am kept up at night by people screaming in the streets late at night (I have no idea why)
>>
>>1015522
Nothing will survive freezing when sealed up.
The expanding ice needs somewhere to go, a radiator of any kind will just expand and crack.
>>
>>1015560
Front door and back door
>>
>>1015560
pretty sure this is only for basements and second floor areas that dont have multiple exits
>>
I'm gonna recommend a regular window unit, with an old broom stick holding the window shut, and 2-5 layers of rigid styrofoam insulation above it, sealed well to prevent breaking in. Or a portable unit with a vertical heat exhaust
>>
>>1015729
Also going to recommend cutting out all incandescent bulbs, using your oven often, and boiling water on the stove unless necessary. Unplug cable boxes and what not too. You'd be surprised how much heat is made that you can prevent, rather than change
>>
>>1015468
Op.. Is there any chance in hell your landlord will let you hang an outside door onto the existing jam?

Here's my thoughts you buy a solid core exterior door. Buy a window unit that would be suitable for the square footage. Now you cut a hole the size of the unit in the new door. And mount the ac unit like that. Once its all sturdy you can hang your new door onto one of your exterior door frame of your choice. From here its just getting crafty with your extension cord so the door can open and close without the wire getting in the way. Just think how car door wiring works.
>>
Used to have tall, thin aircons in Aus. They could be permanently installed in a wall or fitted in a sliding window. You slid the window into a channel in the aircon and had a cuttable fill in panel to close any gap at the top.

http://www.teco.com.au/skinny-type-room-air-conditioners-no-longer-available
>>
>>1015468
>>
>>1015560
There has to be two exits either a window and a door or two doors. This will vary depending in where you live.
>>
>>1015729
Read the thread. 12 inch wide opening in windows.
>>1015761
He would throw a fit because it looks crappy
>>1015800
Read the thread
>>
Effective portable ACs exist. Research moar.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Home-Kitchen-Portable-Air-Conditioners/zgbs/home-garden/1193678
>>
>>1015833
You didnt read the thread
>>
Why are portible air conditioners nearly twice the size of window units?
Why arent there counter top units?
Why arent there mini units?
Why arent there verticle units?
Why does the HVAC industry suck ass?
Its 2016. And there is zero reason for this bullshit
>>
>>1015583
>people screaming in the streets late at night
Invest in a pellet/paintball gun.
>>
>>1015843
Mobility, affordability, and laws of thermodynamics.
>>
>>1015843
Window units are like 50lbs, wider (which skews judgement on size), and driven with fucking engines. I'm surprised plastic freestanding coolers work at all.
>>
>>1015519
You're a cheeky little cunt, aren't ya?
>>
>>1015838
I did. You can't have everything you want, but you can have AC and can (for example) make a box over the thing to store objects on top.

I understand what you want, but unless you have either very good DIY-fu or lots of money you aren't likely to get what you want.

>Its 2016. And there is zero reason for this bullshit

I'd love everyone to cater to my obscure niche use cases too but they want to make money instead. Poor people don't buy a lot of tiny poor people air conditioning units.

There is a way but it's pretty involved and you aren't going to do it, but this is /diy/ so here ya go:

If you are hardcore DIY enough you could turn a conventional AC into what you want by replacing/relocating the condenser and fan assembly with a combination which fits a custom frame which fits your weird window. You can place the evaporator and its fan anywhere you like.

You could also do this with automotive components which are easier to work with and drive the automobile AC pump with an electric motor, but it won't be very electrically efficient. You could run the motor continuously and engage/disengage the pump with its existing electric clutch, or you could set up a motor control to your liking. Automobile parts permit custom hard lines to get you extra length, or you could have an industrial hose shop make you some lines crimped to automotive AC fittings. Use as much auto plumbing as practical, rear AC SUVs have some long fucking lines and an interesting variety of blower setups.

With such a tiny window you need a high volume fan, so if you wanted quiet you are screwed. You could cool the fuck out of the room intermittently and shut the system off.

To be continued:
>>
>>1015938
You don't need a lot to work on this stuff. Basic tools, reasonably DIY electrical fu, a set of R134 gauges, a vacuum pump, correct compressor oil and a jug of R134. Mine payed for themselves doing two truck AC jobs. (Fuck paying 300 bucks for labor when that buys gauges, a vac pump and R134.) Use a dab of anti-seize on the aluminum threaded fittings because bare metal galls and you may need to take it apart during development.

You could probably pull it off for several hundred bucks plus equipment if you use new parts. A junkyard connection or HVAC bro could slash that cost drastically.

It will be a lot of work either way. Study auto air conditioning theory for starters.

I'd deal with the space lost and recoup it some other way like a loft bed (cheap and easy to do from 4x4s/deck plates/deck screws) and use a prebuilt portable AC.

When a problem is a space issue, the solution may mean gaining other space. When I shared a tiny military dorm room with two other guys we all set up loft beds and had reasonable room to move about.
>>
>>1015583
>(I have no idea why)
niggers
>>
>>1015945
Lastly, you can mix home and auto AC plumbing but it's more work to adapt the fittings. A beginner should get an HVAC bro to help out with soldering etc.
>>
Rear AC package from an Astro:

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9360

Typical GM pump:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381518094212?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Search Astro AC hoses and fittings, and AC accumulator for more pics. You need the correct manifold setup to connect to automotive pumps.
>>
>>1015604
nope in cali, any bedroom any window has to be 36" wide for egress, by some other number i forget, it's more about a firefighter in full gear getting in than you getting out

though there are exceptions when you don't change the frame of the window, you are just putting in new windows without the sill, and it's usually only allowed to be done by home owners that live in the house they are doing it to, and the windows need to be replaced by windows of the same type and style, meaning you can't replace a bay window with 2 smaller windows that fill the opening, you get a fat ass fine and you need still need to change it back, unless you want to pay a larger repermitting fee

technically doing the 2 smaller windows in place of a bay window is changing the frame of the window and the structure supporting the wall where those windows are placed, which is where the repermitting fee comes in for changes to structure, which need to be inspeacted

i'm not sure about rentals, but i'm sure they have to follow the same egress laws
>>
You ain't gonna wanna spend the money, but you can buy "ductless air conditioners" to solve your specific problem.

Search "ductless air conditioner schematics" because the theory of operation is similar to the DIY setups I described.

They don't rely on a window and do answer most of your complaints. They are a permanent installation and require a suitable breaker so this is less a solution for you than an option for others reading this thread.

Ductless would be perfect for a shipping container rape bunker fallout shelter since there is no outside air exchange.
>>
>>1015963
>ductless air conditioner
This is what the land lord wants to install, then up my rent by $100 per month.
>>
>>1015967
Check prices plus installation and wiring, and you'll see WHY he wants a return on the investment.

Being a landlord ain't all gravy. Everything from the fucking roof down has a service life and periodic maintenance and repair can easily turn profit into loss if not carefully managed.

Been there, done that. don't care to again.
>>
>>1015975
yea, you can't have that shit niggerrigged in and expect people to pay, plus they have to pass inspections which niggerrigging won't, that shit is expensive

$100 a month is pretty decent from a renters perspective, unless you plan on staying there the rest of your life, even if you stay 3 years($3600), you wouldn't even pay off the buying of the unit or installation, seems like your landlord is kind of being a bro here, and you're being a whiny bitch about it
>>
>>1015989
The unit he installs is a $900 unit.
Hes already raised my rent several times for services i dont use.
$25/month for wifi i dont use
$35/mo for laundry services i dont use
$50/mo for storage i dont use.
Dude is a prick and wont reduce my rent despite these things.
>>
File: Snapchat-4046272562474423685.jpg (171 KB, 1440x2368) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4046272562474423685.jpg
171 KB, 1440x2368
Maybe a window unit on a stand, and use rigid insulation to create a duct to exhaust to 12inchs. Something like this(pardon the drawing, I'm on my phone)
>>
>>1016034
>Dude is a prick and wont reduce my rent despite these things.

your lack of use doesn't mean he isn't making those services available, though if it's so bad move out, breaking your lease would be easier than dealing with him

if you rent is already pretty cheap, just suck it up and if not move

and installation isn't cheap, especially if he needs a permit to install them, which is very likely since you need to run electrical for the outside unit and the inside air condition

so add at least $500 to the cost here in cali, in bumfuckistan flyover middle america go grab a bud and thank god you don't live here in cucifornia
>>
File: Snapchat-8047060955266632701.jpg (163 KB, 1440x2368) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8047060955266632701.jpg
163 KB, 1440x2368
>>1016038
Here is a better drawing. This would be a view from above. you could make this with some 1inch thick rigid insulation, some large staples to hold it together and some metal tape to seal it well. It won't be pretty, but after maybe 2 hours of work and 25 dollars in supplies, it would work
>>
>>1015468
LOL, that thing can cool like 10 square feet for 200 watts I bet.
>>
>>1016034
Yea, he installs a $900 unit, probably has to hire a $500 electrician to add a breaker and run wire, and then has to fucking service it when it inevitably breaks early due to tenants being the most accident prone retards known to man.
Being a landlord sucks. Unless you get a real sweet foreclosure or just absolutely perfect tenants, it sucks.
>>
File: Ruger-silencer-1.jpg (37 KB, 640x261) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-silencer-1.jpg
37 KB, 640x261
>>1015583
>except now I am kept up at night by people screaming in the streets late at night (I have no idea why)
There's an app for that.
>>
There literally exists air conditioners that dump heat from the compressor into water instead of air. They also double as a super efficient warm water heater.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191794792047
>>
How Do Water Cooled Portable Air Conditioning Units Work?
Portable air conditioner units that are water cooled simply require access to an appropriate power source, a source of water and a drain. Our units come equipped with hoses which will connect to any standard sink, but can also be used in janitor sinks or used with any other type of waste water outlet.

There are many applications where a standard air cooled air conditioner cannot be used. Because they require ventilation to discharge the heat that they generate, ducts must be run through windows or into floated ceilings or other appropriate outlets, like a warehouse or other large spaces. This makes water cooled air conditioners far more versatile than air cooled portable air conditioners.

Advantages of Water Cooled Portable Air Conditioners
There are many advantages to using a water cooled air conditioner to cool a space. Here are just a few:

No exhaust / ventilation / hot air outlet required
No negative air pressure caused by ducting
Water cooled air conditioners work better in areas with high ambient temperatures (because they use water, not surrounding air to cool the condenser)
They can be used in extremely hot areas – hotter than air cooled units can
Offer a greater cooling capacity (5 ton air cooled single phase units require 50 amps / 5 ton water cooled require 30 amps
OceanAire manufacture a range of commercial water cooled portable air conditioners for use in almost any environment. We have distributors across the United States and even across the world. To find an OceanAire partner near you, contact OceanAire today.
>>
>>1015476
>Just returned a portable AC because it took up a ton of room.
Jesus Christ.
Any cheapo normal AC with inverter would do.
Only the internal unit takes up space, and not much, and it's on the fucking wall.

It's "hanged" with a metal frame that only needs two or four screws, so that's the only thing you need to "repair" if you move out.

Then there is the copper part, easy, again.
Seriously, there is no other way, and it's piss cheap.
>>
>>1016218
kek
>>
I had a large portable a/c unit before. It too was built so I built a flat top for it and used it as a lamp table/nightstand
>>
*it too was big
>>
>>1015468
Just save up some soda bottles and find a sheet of 3 mm ply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSbZWNk84F4
>>
>>1015468
Is your tap water metered? If not you can buy a water cooled ac solution. The drawback is that they require around 900 litres of water per day and most units are similarly sized as portable air units.
>>
>>1018873
When landlord sees his water use go apeshit he'll be looking for the leak.
>>
>>1015838
You said he wants and extra $10/mo if *he* installs AC, what people are showing you is an AC unit that *you* can install.

Now stop telling us to read the thread and tell us why it is you think you can't put in your own AC unit!?
>>
>>1015583
You need to move to a better area with less niggers.
>>
>>1015468
>not being your own landlord
>>
>>1018873

You can work around this by making a closed-loop system.

Buy a radiator, fan, pump, some tubing, and any appropriate fittings, and you can fairly easily turn a water-cooled AC unit into some weird, ghetto reverse mini-split.

I'm assuming you're not allowed to mount anything on the exterior walls, otherwise I'd say...you know...just buy a mini-split.
>>
>>1015843
what is mini split ac
>>
>>1019418
Baby boomers fucked it up for the rest of us.

You cant buy a house, buy a car, and support a family on a single income working in a factory at age 18 like you could in the 70s
>>
>>1019538
Don't worry, there aren't any houses for sale anyway.
>>
>>1019538
You can, it's just not going to be shit like you see on tv. You can get a 30 year mortgage on a house that's $20k and buy a working car for $3000 with an 18 month loan. My brother in law did it, they even had 2 cars.
>>
take the fucking windows right out if you need it that badly
>>
>>1015800
Just get one of these an rearrange your living space around it so that it doesn't take up floorspace. Stack it on-top of or underneath another item like a file cabinet or use it as a leg for a desk.

This is literally the only solution in this thread that's affordable that will work with your window and doesn't require a ton of specialty tools.

Make it work you dumb whiny bitch.
>>
>>1015468
OP you can definitely rig a conduit from your existing ac to the window. If you post a picture of both your ac and your windown I will literally design something for you to your budget no problemo and post back asap. Or start a new thread for ya
>>
dunno how this wasn't mentioned yet, swamp cooler OP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ubf0zqvSQ
>>
>>1020811
Arent they the #3 cause of "housefires" in trailerparks?
>>
>>1020848
i think those are space heaters
>>
>>1020852
Naw those are #2 i think, or is that grills/gas patio heaters being used as space heaters?
>>
>>1015468
100$/month is quite reasonable. considering the cost of purchasing and installing a reverse cycle split system inverter AC unit starts at 1000$.

you will save more money on a real AC that's properly sealed and split system than you will save just running a self installed economy unit. discount chink units are terrible and those portable units get hot and work by pumping refrigerated air outside to cool itself.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.