[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to build Rapture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: bubbletent.png (170 KB, 411x351) Image search: [Google]
bubbletent.png
170 KB, 411x351
...But I don't have trillions of dollars. I have just under ten grand put aside for projects that I could blow on the attempt.

But then I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phj3lLEtWlk

Some guys trapped a huge bubble of air underwater using transparent sheet vinyl, netting, nylon cord and welded octagonal restraining rings. It's tied to boulders on the bottom to keep it from floating.

That's when I got to thinking, that looks like a tent. About the same size as tents I see homeless in around here.

Now it would be a trick to convince them to live underwater, to be sure. Risking their lives. But I know what would motivate them.

I can't talk about it due to board rules but I could set aside some funds to set up a lab to make more and dole it out to them ON THE CONDITION that they live full time underwater. Let's call it Adam.

I estimate $1,000 for each bubble. I can afford to build 8 of them at that cost, setting aside $1,000 for the air compressors and hosing needed to supply continuouse fresh air and another $1,000 to get started manufacturing "Adam".

Thoughts?
>>
>>1014012
Ur retarded. Ten grand can have you a really nice car. U can buy some shell for like a grand. And the rest of it can be go fun parts. You watch sales/deals and learn some skills. Easy pz. Won't be any super car. But if you can get like 3500lbs with like 450ish WHP. U can have tons of fun.
>>
>>1014012
Do you understand the amount of pressure that is under more than twenty feet of water?
>>
>>1014012
love it, i wanna try it. my only concern is air exchange, sure you can maintain a pressure, but that doesnt mean you can maintain oxygen levels. id like to try something like a 25' diameter build in a large lake and try to get some plants in there see how they last
>>
>>1014020
you can just calculate the outer pressure and compress air inside to match the pressure
>>
>>1014012
this reminds me a poster here that built and underwater hamster habitat, and they lived there long term

this must have been 2 or 3 years ago though, I doubt many people remember him
>>
>>1014035

That just shows it can be done. All that remains is to make the next logical step to "properly motivated" human subjects.
>>
>>1014023
No you idiot, to even inflate the bubble it will be compressed.

At 30 feet the air pressure in the bubble will be 2 atm.

The further you move these vinyl bubbles down the closer attention you have to pay to balancing the partial pressures of the gasses within the bubbles.
At higher pressures the normal mix of gasses within the atmosphere don't work anymore, and Co2 becomes a problem.
>>
>>1014023
So your plan is to have an extremely powerful air compressor at the surface to pump air hundreds of feet underwater? I'm just trying to make sure. You should draw this out on microsoft paint and post it
>>
>>1014047

More like 20-30 feet. 50 at most
>>
Op is a failure. Giulianni was able to kill off more homeless people quicker with much less effort and cost. Why take them underwater so they suffocate? Seriously, you could go to where they congregate, post up in a building out of site, report homeless men with guns to the cops, then when they show up pop the hobo on the ass with a bb gun. His reaction will look like he's reaching for a gun.
>>
The easiest way to do this would be to have an open bottomed bubble and just continually pump air into the top of each dome. The excess spills out of the bottom, pressure regulates itself automatically and you don't need to worry about running out of oxygen. If you put a one way valve on the air line and some kind of air flow sensing alarm then the inhabitants would be alerted if the pump stopped.

Your biggest problem would be buoyancy. Assuming a hemisphere of radius 1.5 metres, you're going to be displacing about 7 tonnes of water. If you don't have some very secure rocks to tie it to, then you'll need a shit load of weights to keep the thing down.
>>
>>1014035
Shit. I remember that. Might have been longer than 2 or 3 years ago.

>>1014044
Well, it was just in an aquarium.
>>
File: 87[1].jpg (314 KB, 450x3150) Image search: [Google]
87[1].jpg
314 KB, 450x3150
>>1014421
Started six years ago and is still on it. http://hampture.blogspot.com
>>
It's a bad idea OP, I'd rather spend the money getting a diving cert and some sweet scuba gear.

That way you learn at least a dozen reasons why this idea is stupid.
>>
>>1014023
You think humans will willingly live at high pressure? Its not comfortable.
>>
>>1015307
With sufficient "Adam," I suspect suitable candidates might be found.
>>
>>1015314
LMAO I fuckin know what this guys doing and I'm loving how everyone is fucking ignoring it
>>
>>1014421
>>1014459
when was /diy/ established?
>>
>>1015335
whats he doing?
>>
>>1014459
He was a /sci/ fag that went by Mad Scientist I believe.

>>1015350
Late 2011.
>>
Inb4 op kills bums and goes to prison.
>>
>>1014012

Cool thread OP.

How about building a huge transparent lighter-than-air blimp with a pool of water in the center, also made of transparent material, and then within this pool have a transparent air dome room, and then within the air dome you can have a refreshing glass of water?
>>
>>1014017
U
>>
>>1014012
when you connect a hose to the bubble and then let it into the air would the bubble lose pressure and collapse?
>>
>>1016613
No? The air compressors are attached to the hoses to constantly pump fresh air into the bubble. Even with the naturally increased pressure from being below sea level (and underwater), the air in the bubble can't overcome the pressure from the compressor.
>>
>>1016613
>>1016706
... you know it's pretty standard doing anything underwater to have a check valve to keep pressure going one way?
It's one of the most important parts of an old timey diving suit/helmet, or else you can get excarnation.
>>
>>1014012
Just use about 8 million tons of sellotape. Not even the ocean can break that.
>>
>>1016613
I'd rather see the air come from below. Bubble it through the water. Removes some of the pressure gradient problems...
>>
File: drex.jpg (51 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
drex.jpg
51 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>1014012
>full video!

Half of which is nothing but someone swimming to it.
>>
>>1016585
A REAL MAN'S DREAM!
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.