[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Found a Fire Switch, not sure what its purpose is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 20160625_125010.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160625_125010.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Found the attached switch in my apartment living room and not sure what its linked to. I found it in the off position.

It's a 2yr old apartment in the UK and has a mains powered smoke alarm.
>>
(a) it sets off a fire alarm
(b) it sets your apartment on fire

- pick one. Its Bongoland, its a two year old flat - it will be there to fulfill some bullshit new safety reg, it probably isnt actually wired to anything.

Speaking of safety reqgulations, tho:
>mains powered smoke alarm
-nope.jpg - may alos be mains connected, but must function on battery only. Which is not entirely unsensible, elctrical fire starts, mains trips, you still asleep, etc.
>>
>>1013832

someone installed it sideways, you stupid
>>
>>1013832
Thats the button that launches the nukes.
Your hows use to be an old cold war black site.. It should have been removed but wasnt.
IF YOU JUS THAT ITS ALL OVER, THERE IS NO GOING BACK
>>
>>1013849

it probably isn't mains connected, just connected to all the other fire alarms in the vicinity / building.. or it has mains, battery, AND is centrally connected
>>
>>1013849
Side note, why aren't fire alarms with an internal rechargeable battery a thing?

It's already connected to the ceiling, so why not run it a mains line for recharging, and then have it beep at you when the rechargeable battery fails to hold a charge so it can be replaced.
>>
>>1014049
It is. The internal battery is a lipo rated for 10 years. When it's time to replace the battery, the whole smoke detector should be replaced.
>>
>>1014049
a smoke detector is different to a fire alarm, if you search for fire alarms you won't find anything useful unless you want a proper fire alarm with a panel and remote detector heads/sounders etc.

check this out http://www.aico.co.uk/What-works-with-what.html
160RC series have internal rechargeable batteries as you suggest, they last 10 years and you replace the entire unit.
140RC series you put an alkali battery in it for backup if you don't like the idea of replacing the whole unit.
>>
>>1014115
>if you don't like the idea of replacing the whole unit.
If you don't replace the whole unit you're an idiot, because the smoke sensor itself has a similar lifespan.
>>
>>1013832
Do you have an electric fire? Or at least a place where an electric fire would go?

This is the kind of switch you see for high-powered hard-wired appliances.

Pop the fuse out and see what it's rated; I'm gonna bet it's 13A because it's designed for running a heavy-duty heating device.
>>
>>1014049
You literally just described how smoke alarms work with a standard burglar alarm.

Run a cable from each one back to the alarm and boom they are on mains feed with a battery backup, the keypad for the alarm will tell you if there are any faults with them.

Also means you can turn them off by punching your code in at the keypad rather than fucking around with chairs and shit trying to reach them.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.