[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recently discovered i have a moisture issue in a corner of my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: DSCF0013.jpg (830 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0013.jpg
830 KB, 2048x1536
Recently discovered i have a moisture issue in a corner of my basement. Not nearly as bad as the one in the pic as what little mold / mildew there was was contained to the back of the drywall and the 2x4's studs and baseboard (the guy who built it did not use treated wood for the stuff making contact with the floor... i know)

Now i have kept an eye on it and it takes a serious fucking storm to get moisture / water there. BUT its still an issue and i cant re-finish the room until i fix it for good.

The wall has some stair steping hairline cracks but as far as i can tell it is not bowing.

Would i be ok simply cutting out the cracked mortar joints and filling them in with fresh stuff thats stronger then the old mortar AND re-directing the gutter downspouts away from the problem area and regrading if i need to.

Or am i looking at having to dig around the outside and go through the hassle of fixing mortar joints and taring the outside wall?

On the issue of regrading the downspouts i was told trenching some PVC pipe and hooking the gutters up to it would work fine.

Solid PVC pipe thats only function is to take drain water and move it away from the house. so it *should* never clog.
>>
>>1013656
If the masonary is cracked and ground water is coming in, you will have no choice
>>
what about relevelling that corner? cracks don't show up without a reason
>>
>>1013662

There are no water stains on the wall which leads me to believe its coming in at the footing.

>>1013717

There is a gutter downspout that dumps water near that corner, and 2 more in the back of the house the dump it near there.

That side of the house is opposite the side that gets heavy rains but with 3 down spouts there thats still a lot of water weight put on the corner.
If i redirect the flow of water im hoping that is enough to solve the problem and by fixing the inside joints that it would keep it from getting worse.
>>
Is the basement wall solid concrete or concrete block?

Any sump pump?

Look up hydrostatic pressure. That might be what you're experiencing.

Another product I've heard good things about is called Xypex. Maybe look at a few of the videos of their products?
>>
File: 1464069577969.jpg (157 KB, 1299x852) Image search: [Google]
1464069577969.jpg
157 KB, 1299x852
>>1013656
Just installed a high and dry bag today get yourself one ASAP. It will collect humidity and wick away moisture. As for your water, make sure you have a pump lower than the lowest point of your home moving the water table away from your foundation. The leaking cracks in your wall should be sealed under dry (internal and environmental) conditions. You need to seal them with hydraulic epoxy and then they can be patched over. To do it right you should dig out the cracked area from the outside.The real problem though is if your cracking is live, meaning it will shift as time passes. The hydraulic epoxy is only a band aid in that case and you will need to apply angle steel braces with wedge anchors. I bought a house with only a 2 foot mud floor crawlspace so I wouldn't have to do foundation and wound up doing exactly all of that. Shit was not cash. Spray your moist areas with bleach weekly to prevent mold.
>>
>>1013871

Block
No sump pump

It is a split level house with the issue being in the back where the dirt is higher.

Would like to avoid installing a sump pump if i can.

>>1013931

The wall on the other side of the house is bowing in and i have had a contractor come out and he quoted me $2,400 (ish) to install wall anchors. On THAT wall i cant do steel beems because it is my garage and has a de-watering system in already.

The area im having issue is maybe a foot out of each side of the corner but i want to finish the room with drywall and a drop celling.

Though we did decide to take the carpet out and put down linoleum / vinyl that looks like hardwood.

Forget which it was but it was $2 a square foot, and the boards were interlocking with no glue required.

It it got wet its no big deal. and we are getting mold / moisture restiant drywall + drywall compound. With treated wood for everything that will be touching the floor and i was even going to put treated wood for the studs.

Is there a way to get air movement back there while i am finishing it?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.