[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
building a cabin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
hi there guys i have some land i inherited in the Yukon near the Yukon Alaska border it's in my moms name but i'm able to do whatever i want with it,we went up there about 4 years ago and here are some pics of it.

my grandfather used to have a gas station up there back in the 60's but i can't find any part of that actual building.

my question is this, how vital is it that i get it surveyed or can i rely on gov't maps and a handheld gps unit to make my own fence around the land and after wards how hard would it be to mill my own lumber from the newgrowth pines which are perfect and everywhere on the land, i want to build

1.a garage that can hold a camper or rv because i don't plan on living there year round and that'd be a big convienience

2.some kind of driveway into the property

3.rain water collection

4.clear a space for an above ground box type garden and also a greenhouse

5.some form of solar power, are forklift batteries a viable storage option?

im going to hopefully drive an rv up there and just leave it,with some supplies in it, how do i ensure people and animals don't get into it?

also general what should i do up there thread..

it's fucking remote because of the 3 day drive but it's not really off the grid because it's right on the highway...ie..i don't want to break any laws by making my own ethanol or anything....yet
>>
the road
>>
>>1013282
I've always wanted to build a cabin on some land out in the country but don't have any large amount of disposable income to put towards it

Anyways I remember watching a video of someone using a homemade sawmill called an "Alaskan Mill" using just a long chainsaw and some wood
video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAIs8VLFbls

>1.a garage that can hold a camper or rv
you can probably found a book on torrent about building garages

>2.some kind of driveway into the property
you looking for poured concrete, individual slabs, or just a bunch of gravel?

>3.rain water collection
you gonna drink any of that?
Pretty sure you'll need a filter or distiller (i think that's what it's called) for drinking water

>4.clear a space for an above ground box type garden and also a greenhouse

the garden should be easy enough to figure out by just looking at examples on google or whatever, the greenhouse you would probably need to read a manual or guide

5.some form of solar power, are forklift batteries a viable storage option?

you'd need to estimate how many KWhs you would use in a week/month and then make your choices from there, also theft could be a problem depending how visible the cabin and such would be

>also general what should i do up there thread..

besides the general home garden thing and saw mill, you could maybe play with the idea of an archery range or even a home forge to make swords or other stuff you could sell
>>
>>1013282
I don't think surveys are really necessary but you should definitely have all your existing facilities located. Get a measuring wheel and map you property lines. You should also do a good clean out of all the property before building. Don't build a rigid garage, quansets are all you'll need if you want to just store an rv.
Driveways/ approaches are easy but definitely rent a bobcat or mini-excavator and install a culvert.
>>
>>1013308

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJuAdIRj2ac&index=44&list=FLwNxyljZUBiKSGwDugONdGQ
this guy has some great how to videos that apply however the growing season is so short and the winter is so extreme i'm not going to even try to live up there.

what i mean by road is that there is about a half metre drop from the road to the property and no grvel or dirt road into the property as far as i know.

i guess i'd have to make one, a culvert is a great idea id definitely like a little dry bridge onto the property at some point.

but the property is completely overgrown which is awesome for 1 the aesthetic and 2 for building materials.
but bad because my truck is total shit if it even makes the drive it'll probably get stuck immediately don't have funds for a kubota or a john deere combo thing or really the time to use it because i live and work in calgary which is at best a three day drive there and a three day drive back, don't get me wrong i love the drive, ive never seen so much wildlife but its a lot of gas money and gas up here was 1.78 a litre FOUR yeas ago i doubt it got any cheaper

also i was thinking of setting up a shooting range because i'm big into /k/ but now i'm thinking about my neighbours and maybe wondering if theres crown land around there (probably a fuckton) which is better to shoot on because of lead contamination and not making enemies out of my neighbours.

i'll still keep my rifle with me just in case i don't want my mom,daughter or wife getting attacked by a bear or moose (i know how to avoid attracting them),but i don't want anything to happen anyways, also going innawoods is just more enjoyable with a rifle to me
>>
my mom however want to get it surveyed and logged partialy does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this,i have a feeling they could make a dirt road and clear a bit of the property for a building site which would be nice, but im worried that they'll either take too many trees or do some permanent damage to the wilderness,it was logged about 50 years ago and it doesn't really seem like the habitat has fully recovered.
>>
>>1013384
Have it re planted after you log it. Starting with saplings will give nature a huge headstart
>>
>>1013282
1. You will either need to source building materials from the surrounding or bring them in. You really want to make a sawmill and start cutting trees into boards if possible. There are a few ways ranging in complexity and cost, but you'll probably want to go for somekind of bandsaw on a track. Watch this video for inspiration: https://youtu.be/86Krv3gE-c4?t=120 .

2. Driveways you'll just want find a good route that minimizes labor movign rocks and cutting trees. Look for a route that won't turn into a mud pit when it rains. Chop, haul, dig, fill and you can create a tamped earth road in a couple weeks. Less with help.

3. Good foodsafe container with a collection system. Collection can be as simple as leaving it open when it's raining. Cover to prevent algae growth, you can add some bleach if you want to keep it cleanish.

4. Focus on getting a reliable source of cut wood going. You can make most of this stuff from just felled tree logs however. Shouldnt be too hard to anchor several chopped trees into a makeshift above ground box and fill with soil.

5. Solar power is OK. Battery type should be some kind of deep cycle type that will be happy with lots of discharge and charge cycles. You need a charge controller or you will overcharge/drain the shit out of your batteries and fug them. I would consider wind power if there is adequate wind resource for that.

What should you do? Well it sounds like you've got a fuckload on your plate already. Use it as a vacation home, hold festivals on it, turn it into a secret base, build whatever you want, sell it to some wheezing prepper for a shitload. You need to ask yourself these questions.
>>
is in Your country cuttin trees down legal?
Because in my country if You want to cut a tree down, You must go to some kind of bureau and report, that You want to cut them and they will allow it You, but they do not have to.
and if You own a forest, than a really strict regulations apply to it.
I am just curious about law in U.S..
>>
>>1013736
In the US if it is your land you can cut down whatever tree you want.

Sounds like this is Canada though, but I imagine it's the same.
>>
>>1013745
Within reason. The county I live in needs to give approval in certain areas if more than a certain number of trees are being felled. This keeps people from clear cutting the remaining forested areas. Cutting trees down for paths or firewood is fine though
>>
I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on solar panels and shit. IF your only going to be there once a year that shit will get stolen by the neighbors if its anything like america.

Otherwise I would just build a pole barn and bring an rv/camper with me after you build the road.

Other long term options are to get a big ass propane tank and have it filled for electricity in the place and use a wood stove for cooking/heat in the cabin.

Have you looked to see if there are any water sources? Or looked into getting a well dug.

The gravel road will be easy, but be aware once you connect that gravel road to the main road people will go down it, even if you put a gate up.

Other than that best advice for when you go to survey the area is spend some money on some trail cams, locks, and a ladder and setup a shit ton of trail cams all over the place so that you can observe whats going on when your not there. You can see any trespassers or wildlife. If you have anything there like a work site or trails def set a few up overlooking, and atleast one pointed towards the closest main/finished road.
>>
>>1013282
In the US you can usually build the fence past your land and if no one bitches about it for a few years you will in fact expand your land, this is called adverse possession. It's legal theft and its awesome. I don't know if it counts in Canada or not. Look up your laws then build your fences waaay off your actual borders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession#United_States

I would advice against forklift batteries, the cold can seriously degrade there life.
>>
>>1013282
>3.rain water collection
See this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgquf2NX0xw

>>1013308
>you gonna drink any of that?
>Pretty sure you'll need a filter or distiller (i think that's what it's called) for drinking water

Fucking city folk. Drink it if it tastes good, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1013986
>If it tastes ok, it's safe to drink

what is giardia.
>>
>>1013383
>gas up here was 1.78 a litre FOUR yeas ago i doubt it got any cheaper
You live in Calgary guy, you know damn well with this less than $50 a barrel oil it's gotta be a whole lot cheaper than 4 years ago when it was touching about $90 a barrel. Fellow Calgary bro here, i hope youre not in oil and gas.
>>
>>1013986
At the very least it needs to be boiled, to render it biologically safe

you can't just drink any random puddle of water
>>
>>1013745
In Canada that isn't entirely true depending on where you are.

Some areas require that you plant another tree if you cut one down. Some areas require permits so that people don't clear cut large areas and mess with the ecosystem, or cause erosion problems.
>>
>>1014345
They were talking about rain water, which is generally safer than a lot of ground water.

Though I agree, I wouldn't even drink that without at least boiling it. Out in the middle of no where I'm not going to take any chances.
>>
>>1013736
in Canada there are no regulations that i'm aware of, if it's on your property it's yours
>>
>>1013973
no the zoning here is pretty strict, your neighbours can and will sue for that, courts will side with whoever owns it on paper every single time, which is why getting clear boundaries set up from the start is so important/ costly
>>
>>1014128
that's back when it was 89 cents a litre man
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.