[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
carpentry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: carpenter.jpg (125 KB, 1000x714) Image search: [Google]
carpenter.jpg
125 KB, 1000x714
So, I'm interested in carpentry. As a disabled person who can live next to a normal life other than the exhaustion once in a blue moon. What looks good on the resume? I only framed one house as a college project and caught myself actually liking something in school. How does /diy/ get their foot in the door?
>>
>>1012427
How disabled are you?
>>
>>1012429
I just suffer from exhaustion once in a while. I have sarcoidosis and don't need any type of treatment other than steroid cream on funky red patches of skin.
>>
>>1012427
search for helper/labor jobs. alot of heavy lifting in carprentry.
Other than that, i would buy some tools and make something simple like a box, put a unique spin on it.
Do you have a job rn?
>>
>>1012446
>disabled
you don't sound fuckign disabled m8.
everyone suffers from exhaustion once in a while, then you rest and go to sleep.
if you can't walk to the shitter without collapsing then thats disabled sure, but if by 9pm you think huh i am a tired now then thats called being fucking normal.

i guess if you tel people you are disabled they will give you a job at the drop of a hat though, just put on your resume "legally disabled for the purposes of equal opportunity but essentially not disabled at all" will look good on a resume.
>>
Just start producing those finger boxes for /b/. Surely a few of those autists will buy in
>>
>>1012427

you wont be able to do any type of wood working if you suffer from "exhaustion" lol. Its hard work, your a weak faggot
>>
>>1012446

I get tired sometimes too. Where can I get my disability cheques?
>>
>>1012427
why is that idiot cutting lumber with a tree saw?
>>
>>1012487

He's tired. He should really go take a nap.
>>
>>1012457
this
>>
>>1012487
he's also not wearing safety glasses
>>
>>1012446
I'm disabled too. I used to have to take Ritalin for my ADD.
>>
>>1012427
>suffer from exhaustion disorder
>want to do the most labor intensive job out there

probably not the best idea dude
>>
>>1012427
>college

Did you finish? Cause you'll make more money in your degree field than you ever will being a carpenter.
>>
>>1012540

>most labor intensive
>carpentry

I really hope you are kidding.

I know carpenters who are missing various body parts from legs to ear drums.
>>
>>1012577

All you need to be a carpenter for the most part are your hands and your eyes, so we do all we can to protect them both. But I've also never worked with another carpenter that was over 40 and didn't have shit knees/back problems/arthritis etc. and the occasional nasty scar or missing finger
>>
>>1012577
>>1012598
either trolling or a sheltered millennial who has no idea what carpenters do.
>>
>>1012600

Sure man, go ahead and tell me what I should really be doing at my job everyday. How the fuck would you consider anything I said even be close to trolling?
>>
>>1012612
I just figured you were trolling, didn't know you were legit tarded.
>>
>>1012615

I'm retarded because I said that there is a risk of injuring yourself over the course of having a career as a carpenter? Alright then.
>>
>>1012619
I'm speaking to the tard claiming carpentry isn't labor intensive.
>>
>>1012622
You quoted two different people.

I think >>1012577 was pointing out that >>1012540 said it was the MOST labor intensive job out there; which it is not, it's not even close. He wasn't saying it wasn't labor intensive.
>>
Constructionfag here.
Depends on the type of carpentry youd be doing.
Ive made plenty of Carpenter apprentices carry stacks of 4x4s by themselves and plenty of 2x4s.
>>
If OP really suffers from exhaustion he/she/it should fucking finish school and stay out of construction.

What he doesn't get is how construction will break you down over the long term. If you want to retire some day you need a career with a realistic upgrade path not dependent on an aging body. Occupational injuries from repetitive motion and lifting are no joke. Most people reading this are young. Youth vanishes with the wind!

Carpentry is very cyclic. When the next Recession hits, and it will because they are a normal occurrance, construction rockets into the shitter. We had MANY construction workers retraining at the community college I worked at because their jobs evaporated. Never take a job where Mexicans are your competition. They can and will outwork you for less money.

If you are technically inclined and want an interesting trade career where you don't have to physically bust ass very often I'd go for industrial maintenance. When everything runs right you can skate, and you are the last guy they lay off because the plant can't run without you especially if you learn their specialty machinery. I did it for a few years before joining the Air Force and enjoyed it greatly. Something new every day keeps it interesting.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.