[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would nail polish remover get rid of this fake chrome shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Would nail polish remover get rid of this fake chrome shit?
>>
>>1011859
It will eat through the plastic
>>
>>1011863
what would work to remove it? I was thinking maybe just scraping it off if nail polish remover didn't work
>>
>>1011859

are you concerned about it flaking off all the time?

removing it will take a lot of time & may make the plastic look like shit. put a piece of clear tape over the flaking part and quit worrying about it.
>>
>>1011869
I think it looks like shit as it is, so if I could remove it, it would (hopefully) less jank
>>
>>1011870
look less*
>>
is there a way to rechrome some plastic pieces?

i have a door handle out of plastic in my car and the chrome is flaking off and is revealing this cum colored original plastic.
>>
>>1011875
The real chrome plating process for plastic isn't exactly /diy/ friendly.
Your easiest option is paint.
>>
>>1011881
or ripping one out of a junkyard car
>>
>>1011882
Yeah, sure, and the result will look better.
But the easiest option for "metal plating" would be painting.
>>
Alsacorp chrome spray aerosol - not cheap but gets as close to the real thing (on plastic) as is possible.
>>
I would use a strip of this, but I have some laying around already.
Great stuff.
>>
>>1011859
you need something to "eat away" the bonding underlayer between the chrome and the plastic, which i believe is copper.
maybe try leaving that soaking in vinegar for a week or so?
or sand it off and then polish the plastic
gl and post results
>>
>>1011859
If that's the same fake chroming shit they put on plastic model kit pieces in weeaboo kits, a long bath in coca-cola will strip that shit clean off.
>>
Use oven cleaner to remove the chrome. Separate part and put in a zip-lock bag. Spray the oven cleaner into the bag and seal. I used to remove the chrome off model parts i didn't want chromed.
>>
>>1011939
I came here to recommend this. I'm not sure how well it will work, but I did this to all of the cheap looking plated parts in my model kits when I was younger.
>>
>>1011859
Just buy some varying grits of sandpaper from auto store (1000,2000, etc...). Work your way up, then finish with something like headlight polisher with a buffing wheel.
>>
>>1011881
>>1011882
>>1011883
is the chrome on plastic "real" chrome?
>>
>>1012308
yes. Getting it on there involves vacuums and vaporisation, though.
>>
>>1012308
Classic chrome plated plastic has real chrome, with copper underplating. It is made with a chemical process.
Nowadays vacuum evaporation and sputtering can be used to plate plastic too, and it is used particularly when massive areas of very thin metal are needed, like when plating plastic foil to be used in packaging.
>>
>>
afaik, electroless plating is still used, and requires no vacuum evaporation and/or sputter deposition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroless_plating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TW_36S_aJ0&t=1m18s
>>
>>1011859
I dont think so.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.