[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shelving Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
Hello,

I would like to mount my TV on the wall and put shelving (will post below) around it. I don't want it to look cheap or tacky. The counter on the left is my kitchen. The window on the right over looks the deck and beside that, out of picture, is a sliding glass door to the patio.

I like the idea of floating shelves, but I've no idea how to accomplish such. There will be heavy books and possibly some sewing machines on the shelves, so I don't think floating shelves will be sturdy enough.

Plan B was using Fasttrack style shelving, but I don't want to look like I live in a department store. I was thinking of spray painting the metal hardware a light gold (not bronze) and pair it with a more expensive warm wood, as close to teak as I can get to match my teak table. Is that a bad idea?

Does any one have any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
>>
Something similar to this is what I'm looking to achieve.
>>
I was also thinking about incorporating a floating shelf (Ikea cupboard hack) with the same wood on top. I could really use the extra storage, but I don't want to weigh down the room. The apartment is only 500sq/ft.
>>
Another floating cabinet style. I think I like the wood on both top and bottom. Open to suggestions. Thank you.
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>1011049
I like that.

Bump for you
>>
>>1011317
Thank you. I am hoping that with a nice wood it won't look cheap. I am going to try and get down to the wood shop this week to see what they have and the prices. I'll decide on what colour, if any, I'll repaint the metal hardware.

On the wall to the left, the one with the window, I'm going to put two or three smaller shelves so the cats can jump on and then hang out on the top shelf.
>>
>>1011052
>>1011051
Make sure you leave enough space to get a vacuum under there. I lived in a flat once that had a 3 inch gap and its was a pain to get under an clean.
>>
>>1011351
Oh believe me I will. I can't stand things that I can't vacuum under. Do you like the idea of floating cabinets? Or should I just stick with shelves?
>>
Still looking for other opinions.
>>
File: 1459096847526.jpg (73 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1459096847526.jpg
73 KB, 700x525
AV installer here,
What kind of carpentry experience and tools do you have. Are you unsure how to hang a TV properly? Or are you just getting other opinions about style?
>>
>>1011700
>What kind of carpentry experience and tools do you have.
Zero percent. I have a friend that I believe would be able to install. The TV is a 31" Sony Bravia as pictured. I've some painters tape and a stud finder and will be taping out the studs (where I'd put the shelving brackets) to see where I can put the TV. What should I avoid for TV placement? I was wanting to put it right in the middle and put the shelves around it. What do you think?

I am also lookking for opinions on the style. Sometimes when you get your heart set on something you overlook negatives.
>>
>>1011048
Boom! Floating shelves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7EO7xSU7Zk
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>1011048
>Shelving Question
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.