[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Third world ingenuity for everyday things.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 16
File: samuface-280.jpg (2 MB, 3664x2748) Image search: [Google]
samuface-280.jpg
2 MB, 3664x2748
I want to see ideas of what people have come up with for things first worlds have taken for granted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAHlYLvIz00
>>
>>1011035
Stuff like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdb18Mp4ac
>>
>>1011035
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=943E-FYyT_c
>>
>>1011042
Yeah.
>>
>>1011050
What the fucking fuck? This thing gets an erection for you, then keeps it for you. What is this world coming to where even males who cannot reproduce can now reproduce?
>>
>>1011050
>penis pumps have been debunked for 40 years now
Putting it into a nice packaging and calling it "medical" doesnt change anything
>>
>>1011035
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3635710/How-cool-apartment-free-Electricity-free-DIY-aircon-uses-old-plastic-bottles-used-used-25-000-Indian-homes.html
>>
>>1011057
>>1011093
I don't use them quite for their intended purpose, but they are good at another thing: Temporary increases in girth and length.

If you hold a vacuum of about 6 inHg for 2 hours or more then it will pull intercellular fluid into the penis' tissues, causing significant temporary size gains
>>
>>1011474
>causing significant temporary size gains

And making it look like a freak dick that got stung by a bee and possibly causing permanent damage to your dick, yeah sounds great.
>>
>>1011474
You can hit it with a hammer and it will swell up. Hammer is cheaper and has other /diy/ uses.
>>
>>1011035
https://youtu.be/hPXjzsXJ1Y0

Flipfags make solar indoor lighting.
>>
>>1011042
Black smith
>>
>>1011481
It's not hard to prevent damage.

>>1011483
That's nowhere near similar
>>
>>1011474
Your dick must be super small if you need to go to extreme lengths like that.
>>
>>1011042
>you need...an electric welder
>shows gas welder
>>
File: africanarcwelder.jpg (274 KB, 700x1543) Image search: [Google]
africanarcwelder.jpg
274 KB, 700x1543
>>1011839
Nice try, but I'm 7.5 inches. I just like going bigger.
It's a kink, if you will.

Back on topic though, here's a scrap metal arc welder:
>>
>>1012008

My eyes hurt just imagining this.
>>
>>1012060
Safety squints!
>>
>>1011042
Not available in my country, care to post a webm?
>>
>>1012008
Next time the welders at work start bitching about how they're treated unjustly or they work too hard I'm posting this all over their building.
>>
>>1012008
how the fuck does that work? holy shit
>>
>>1012172
The welder?

The big chunk of metal is a hand wound transformer. It's got shit efficiency because the core is rusted to hell (lower magnetic permeability) and the wire is loads of scrap spliced together and wound really sloppily (low coil density).
That said, it works well enough to change their power source into a high enough current to get the job done.
>>
>>1012230
>core is rusted to hell
Ive seen that picture for years and never realized those were actually the metal wafers things for a transformer held together with twine after being ran over with a lawnmower..
I always thought it was paper or some shit to act like a stand.. fucking hell I hate africa even more now
>>
>>1012269
Yeah, it looks like cardboard.
Heck, it probably has the same strength as cardboard as rusted as it is.
>>
File: 1337060921595.jpg (60 KB, 620x447) Image search: [Google]
1337060921595.jpg
60 KB, 620x447
>>
Argentinefag here, I don't know if this is third world af or not, but we use solar water heaters in places where electricity is scarce or non-existent.

Not solar as in solar cells, but literally using light radiation to heat water. They're basically big-ass water tanks with some kind of glass tubes which are vacuum-sealed. Then with some magic I don't really understand, cold water comes down from the tank and it goes up when it's heated, and then you can use it.
>>
File: vacuum.png (221 KB, 454x384) Image search: [Google]
vacuum.png
221 KB, 454x384
>>1012647

I'm sorry I know fuck-all about physics tho, here's a graphic that kinda explains how it works, red is hot water going up, blue is cold water going down, and the glass tube literally says "vacuum"
>>
>>1012647
>>1012648
We use those in the US too. People pay a high dollar for them. I toured a university that used one to heat the water in one of their off campus buildings. They had to remove several of the tubes because the water was coming out of the faucet too hot.

Now they use the heat to partially heat the building in the winter by having the water pass through a heat exchange before being used.
>>
>>1012008
That's pretty cool, I gotta try this one of these days.
>>
>>1012667
The welder?
I'd try using a microwave oven transformer rather than 50 pounds of scrap.

Also, get some UV/Eye protection
>>
People in India have been using copper water jugs for centuries. Copper is naturally anti-microbial. No need to keep paying brita (Wal-Mart) for clean water.

Also, you live in the first world, so your drinking water is clean.
>>
>>1012676
I'm already a welder, so I got most of the PPE.
>>
>>1012681
not if you live too far away from civilization.
I live in Minnesota, and people just 20 miles outside of town have to rely on well water, which can sometimes be dangerous to drink, especially if a dumbass squirrel finds its way in and dies.
>>
>>1012681
surely copper containers dont magically purify whatever water put into it? is it just placebo or is there studies done about this?
>>
File: 3rd world paving.jpg (117 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
3rd world paving.jpg
117 KB, 720x960
>sensible chuckle
>>
>>1012652
In germany its used as well. My parents have one in combination with a hot water reservoir. Its noice.
>>
>>1012926
>magically
Copper is quite toxic to many micro-organisms. Dunno if it's strong enough to kill everything in water in reasonable time, but at least it's better than nothing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_properties_of_copper
>>
>>1012936
thanks anon I am putting some copper wires in my brita jug and see if it taste any better after overnight storage

Im serious
>>
>>1012946

Copper is toxic to people too.
>>
>>1012936
also add a little lemon juice and let the clear water sit out in the sun to get some delicious purifying uv radiation in there.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7858646

<pic related: not the most inventive machine but supercheap sanitary pads must be a godsend for third world women.
>>
>>1012953
shit

but all those indians drinking from copper jugs cant be all toxic right?
>>
>>1012946
It'll only tase metalic, and possibly poison you if you do it for extended periods of time.
>>
>>1012956
Once copper oxidizes it's fine.
>>
>>1012932
Holy shit that's genius.
>>
>>1012647
Nah those are not just third world.
>>
>>1012686
If you are already a welder you can do more interesting projects like adding a rectifier to an AC buzzbox. DC welders are much more money but rectifiers are reasonable (or free if scrapping out an old machine with a good rectifier).

You can DC TIG with a scratch-start rig off a DC or DC-converted buzzbox.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?38106-For-The-Can-I-TIG-With-My-Welder-People

If you are really into it you can convert some old industrial 3 phase welders to single phase so you can run them off home 220. Google "Haas-Kamp single phase conversion".

DIY-fu can get you much more "home welding shop" than you otherwise might. Fixing MIG machines that don't feed right (usually owner didn't change the liner) and other simple repairs can get you good gear. I got so much oxy-acetylene gear from auctions that I started Ebaying some of it to feed my habit. Rebuilding regulators (cleaned to oxygen-safe standards of O2) isn't difficult and rebuilding torches is easy as fuck.

Check out the Weldingweb forums for info welders of any skill and experience can use.

IMO the best use of /diy/ isn't fucking around from scratch, but fixing and upgrading existing equipment you get dirt cheap.

My best score was a Miller 340 AB/P for 250 bucks because owner thought it was three-phase only. I knew otherwise because I'd downloaded the manual. All it needed was a gas valve. I may never use 570 amps output but that bitch has a sweet arc. I got over the 1300lb weight real quick. :)
>>
>>1013139
Side note, but I had to weld some aluminum for a project once, and as it turns out, you need an AC TIG welder for aluminum.

You wouldn't believe how hard it was to get a welder with the right machine for the job.
>>
>>1011035

https://www.youtube.com/user/gnm7544

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U80uaTnzqHE
>>
File: 1455312145162.png (15 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1455312145162.png
15 KB, 480x480
>>1012932
took me a while
>>
>>1013331
*don't watch if you're expecting something beside 30 seconds of the turbine spinning*
>>
>>1013139
Thanks for the ideas. I've been considering messing with some of those broken Ever Last machines.
>>
>>1013197
>you need an AC TIG welder for aluminum
You can MIG it with DC, but that takes either a spoolgun or a push/pull gun, which are rather scarcer than AC TIG. Or you could heliarc it with DC TIG.
>>
>>1013350
It means a lot that third worlders can patch together a windmill and have it not fall apart or kill people.

It's a small one for sure, but great for people who are in high supply of plains and low supply of rivers.
>>
>>1013632
We had to use helium even with an AC welder because it was fairly thick and heavy aluminum.
>>
>>1011933
>during welding operations, it's important to protect your eyes
>nigga #2 wears no eye protection whatsoever
>>
>>1012008
How did a poor village African know how to build a transformer?
>>
>>1012932
This is a good idea, why don't first worlders do this?
>>
>>1012676
>muh microwave oven transformers
When will this meme die? Welding power supplies use thousands of watts, while you're lucky to get 1.5 kW out of an MOT. Why do you think they would make welding transformers so fuckhuge and heavy if they could achieve the same performance with something the size of an MOT?
Video related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQXBNkaB1tU
Meanwhile, that huge pile of scrap can apparently strike an arc and weld.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LadK560QGio
>>
>>1012652
>they had to remove tubes
>too dumb to adjust the mix valve
>>
>>1013806
That's horrendous
>>
>>1012932

That looks like barbados
>>
>>1013805
>When will this meme die?

Never, because they work.

Don't get me wrong, because you're right; they aren't comparable to the much larger ball of steel and copper in a buzzbox. The welding capability and duty cycle will be piss poor in comparison.

But it still WORKS on light-ish material, which is all most anyone who would actually do this wants.
>>
>>1013864
Oh nvm, I forgot that grant thompson actually made one, though it uses two transformers instead of one.
>>
>>1013803
They do all the time. Google stamped concrete
>>
>>1011042
>it's important to protect your eyes
>the one guy is look directly at the weld
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-XS4aueDUg
>>
>>1012966
but does it lose antimicrobial properties after oxidation?
>>
>>1013802
contrary to popular belief, all nigs are not retarded. The reason you don't see the smart ones on TV is because watching two nogs chimp-out over a pair of shoes is far more entertaining to watch.
>>
>>1012647
>Then with some magic I don't really understand, cold water comes down from the tank and it goes up when it's heated
jajajaj compadre, me hiciste la noche con eso.
Aquí en Colombia también he visto de esos en lugares donde no hay electricidad.
>>
>>1012647
>with some magic I don't really understand, cold water comes down from the tank and it goes up when it's heated, and then you can use it.
Water naturally convects if you heat it from the bottom or cool it from the top.

This happens because hot water is less dense than cold water, and floats on top of cold water.

Because the tank is above the heat source, the water circulates. The energy to make the water circulate comes from the heating of the water.
>>
>>1013805
Look, I never said it was great.
It's a cheap hack that barely works, but you know what?
Its dirt cheap, simple to do, and it works.
I can grab a broken microwave fro free and turn it into a functional spotwelder in under a day for maybe $5 in materials.

If I need an actual welder I'll get an actual welder, but the MOT is just fine for bits of scrap or spot welding small wires.
>>
>>1013999
My point was that 50 pounds of scrap actually makes a better arc welder than a single microwave oven transformer.
>>
>>1011515
It's also not hard to cause damage
>>
>>1014000
>50 pounds of scrap actually makes a better arc welder than a single microwave oven transformer.

I doubt that the one in the pic is that much better.
The whole thing is rusted to hell and the wire has a shit packing efficiency.
Rust means lower magnetic permeability and the low coil density further lowers efficiency.

If you want something better than a MOT, but still diy, then getting a core of the proper size is a better option, or cut one yourself from loads of sheet metal.
That way it weighs less than 50 pounds and can provide more power than a MOT.

Although, some MOTs can provide 8-10kw.
Those are harder to come by though.
>>
>>1012932
I'm buying a house in a few months, and i want a paved driveway. I'm so going for this solution: cheaper, easier, and less time consuming.

I imagine reinforcing it with iron bars is essential, tho. If it starts to crack, it'll be hard to repair without a visible concrete patchwork.
>>
>>1013806
>bike
That's an African Razor Scooter, homie
>>
>>1013806
uugh.. they're so damn proud of it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQeyjgSUlrk
>>
>>1012932
Why bother? It's not news to use a form, I have one for doing stone patterns
>>
>>1012953
Copper pipe is used in millions of homes and municipalities. But plastics are growing
>>
>>1012932
If you have any of the following, frost, near the sea or have any foot traffic it will be shitted within the space of a year.
>>
We have a word for these in India called Jugaad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugaad
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-XS4aueDUg
>>
>>1014449
they have some inner coating on them to prevent dissolution (at least in drinking water, heater circuts take advantage of toxicity to prevent bacteria buildup)
we have laws on that, althought I doubt they bother with shit like that in India
>>
>>1014416
doesn't that give you the malarias?
>>
>>1013789

Are you looking at a different pic?

I see no heads in the shot where there's an actual arc.

You are, however, in all likelihood right. But I just wanted to play devil's advocate.
>>
>>1014451

>near the sea

As a man who lives 60 feet away from breaking wave, I have to ask what effect living near the sea has on pavers?
>>
>>1014416
Do people just become immune to mosquito bites after a while, like beestings?
>>
>>1014523

You build a resistance to the inflammation over time.

They still bite you all the same and you are still susceptable to the diseases.

I haven't had an ichy bite in decades but recently I have been getting all the chikugunya, zika dengue and all that fuckery
>>
>>1014514
those aren't real pavers
>>
>>1014789

And as with real pavers the base is the most important part. These bitches may shift a little but if the base is payed and compacted correctly then the movement should be minimal.

Tell me, lad. How will the sea fuck with these false pavers, ARRR?
>>
>>1013805

So if you use 2, you'll get 3k watts.

An outlet will only do less than 2000 watts anyway
>>
>>1013695
>>1013350

look at the rest of his channel. This man is famous for trying to build airplanes.
>>
>>1013806
U just KNOW he stole that bitch
>>
File: kapanap[1].jpg (288 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
kapanap[1].jpg
288 KB, 1000x666
>>1012287
Hungol here.
Most village people here own a small vineyard on the edge of their village.
Even as recently as 10-15 years ago, it was completely normal for people to put wheels on a rotary hoe, attach a small cart behind it and use it for transport between your vineyard and your home.
When you got there, you unlatched the cart, switched back the wheels to the plow and you could start plowing.

Pic is from a rotary hoe race.
>>
>>1014834
over 3000 in europe
>>
>>1014936
kurva anyád
>>
>>1014481
>they have some inner coating on them to prevent dissolution
If that were true (and it's not) wouldn't flux, heat, and abrasives used in installation remove said coating?
>>
>>1011412
Energy cannot be created nor destroyed....so where does the heat go?
>>
>>1014449
i would chose toxic cooper over plastic which probably leaks some other chemicals
>>
>>1015295
Not him, but if you read the article, you would know.
They lay it out pretty simple.

>Hot air will rush into each bottle, which is pushed to the rim where it starts to expand – this expansion is what cools the air before it enters the room.

>Although some might not be sold on the idea, Eco-Cooler shares an explanation to change their minds.

>It’s the same as blowing on your hand with your mouth wide open – the air is hot.

>Now, when you blow with your lips pursed the air is cool – Eco-Coolers do the same thing.
>>
>>1015317
I read the article several times trying to answer my question. The article, and what you posted, doesn't answer it.

The heat previously contained within the air has to go somewhere. Where does it go?

The answer is most likely nowhere because the air isn't actually being cooled, just sped up so it can cool off the occupants by increasing the evaporation of sweat and removing body heat. If the device actually removed heat the apparatus would have to leave the heat elsewhere unless it's breaking the laws of physics.
>>
>>1015295
>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3635710/How-cool-apartment-free-Electricity-free-DIY-aircon-uses-old-plastic-bottles-used-used-25-000-Indian-homes.html
Air is always cooler than you are (unless you're in Death Valley, the Sahara Desert, or a kitchen), so heat always transfers from you to the air.

This device increases the speed the air flows at, thus increasing the heat transfer, thus cooling the inhabitants more.

The phenomenon is called "wind chill".

Note that if the air *is* hotter than 37 degrees, wind chill works in reverse.
>>
>>1015845
Look, Im no physics guy, I barely passed the grade, but as far as I know, it goes like this.

When you compress air, it heats up.
When you uncompress air, it cools down.
Dunno really why, but thats the way it works.

Now, wind blows air into the wide hole of the funnel.
By the force of wind, air is compressed and squeezed throu the bottleneck.
When it exits, it decompresses and cools down.
Compressed hot air remains in the wide end of the funnel, outside.

Alternatively, it might all be bullshit.
Here's an idea.
Make such contraption and check for yourself!
Report back when you have results.

>just sped up so it can cool off the occupants by increasing the evaporation of sweat and removing body heat
Im sure that air speed does have an impact on perceived temp, but it might not be the case here.

Im going to do some experimenting and report back.
>>
>>1013827
Building is LEED Platinum and is their flagship building of their environmental program. Increasing their water usage would be counter intuitive. I assume the manufacturers who built and install them know how to adjust a mixing valve.

>>1014481
No there isn't. They have an oxide layer on them at best.

Copper is not harmful in small amounts, it's just that simple. We NEED copper to live, we just don't need a lot.
>>
>>1014416
Those aren't mosquitos. They're a type pf nonbiting midge fly from north africa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomidae
>>
>>1014451
Frost in Africa?
>>
>>1015873

Air does, indeed, heat up when compressed as a natural result of the work being done on it by the act of compression.

However, this does mean that the increase in temperature is directly related to how much it was compressed, or, in other words how much work was done on it. Now, really, how much power do you think you can get out of a light breeze blowing on less than a square meter of wall? Because it sure as shit isn't enough to cool a dozen-ish cubic meters of air by 5°C in one minute.

Seriously, just consider some guesswork: A typical air compressor will produce around 120psi. That can pretty easily get a 100°F rise in temperature at the outlet of the compressor itself. A good 15mph wind? 0.004psi. 1/30,000 the pressure of the compressor. Yet, somehow, it's good for as much as 10% of the temperature rise?

The thing is acting as a vent, that's it. They'd be better off just cutting a hole in the wall.
>>
>>1015873
>When you uncompress air, it cools down.Dunno really why, but thats the way it works

The reason it works is simple. Heat is energy. There's a certain amount of energy as heat in air. When you force a large amount of air out of a small opening, it rapidly expands while retaining the same amount of heat throughout the original mass of air.
Since it's more spread out, there's less heat per cubic inch of air.

The bottle thing does indeed make sense, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to lower temperatures by 9 degrees unless like the whole wall is bottles.
>>
>>1013802
Ghetto Science; when you're poor you find ingenious ways to do things you can't afford.
>>
>>1013802
he traded two chickens for a book
>>
>>1012287
FLINSTONES
MEET THE FLINTSTONES
THEY'RE THE MODERN STONE AGE FAMILYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>1016256
My point exactly. This simply accelerates the airflow to increase evaporation. Basically it replaces a fan.
>>
>>1011481
>almost every porno since the 90s
>>
File: stratenmaker machine.jpg (157 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
stratenmaker machine.jpg
157 KB, 1000x669
>>1012932
get on my level
>>
>>1012230
actually the rust helps to remove eddy currents which destroy efficiency, which is why transformer laminates are usually varnished. it has shit efficiency because it doesn't use transformer iron which is a type of iron known for its permeability.
>>
>>1016473
Those people in the back are arranging a pile of bricks into the pattern. It's not as cool and automatic as it looks; just a little faster than putting them together directly on the ground.
>>
>>1012946
Copper is good for killing bacteria and things in water. Silver does the same thing. This is why many metal fixtures such as doorknobs and hand rails are made of copper alloys: to kill bacteria. Google "kill coil" for PC watercooling too for a similar usage of copper/silver.
>>
>>1016622
Also, that's the origin of silverware.

As a side note, most everything said to kill or ward off vampires is antibacterial.

Sun (UV), salt, silver, garlic, fire (duh), and White Ash are all antimicrobial.

White ash (or any other herb said to stop a vampire) tends to have a high concentration of ascorbic acid, which is antimicrobial.
>>
>>1016634
Wooden steak through the heart is a pretty big exception.
>>
>>1016640
Yeah, same for cutting of their head.
Although, sometimes the wooden steak is specified as being ash or being infused with one of those ascorbic acid rich herbs.
Running water also is not antimicrobial, but running water does tend to be much cleaner ad safer to drink than stagnate or slow moving water
>>
>>1016634
copper wire in a jug anon here

it is making the water taste too metallic for my taste so i am quitting

although it does noticibly relax and sooth my guts which feels like cleansing, also a lot smoother pees for some reason, but perhaps placebo

but the metallic taste is too much, it is sticking to my mouth and throat and wont go away

although maybe the copper wire is too new and not really oxidized in any way so it is leaking extra copper

the surface area of the copper is around 30cm2 for the 1 to 2 liter of water which should simulate a jug well
>>
>>1013940
live in denmark, have this, when the water gets too hot we just open up a valve and let out some steam.
>>
>>1012008
well, this is the kind of thing i came to the thread to see
>>
>>1015302
Being this ignorant about plastic
>>
>>1012648
Whats the benefit of vacuum sealed tubes? Wouldn't that prevent heat being conducted to the water through the glass?
>>
>>1012681
Unfortunately this purification is then rendered moot when the Pajeets drink from the same unwashed hand they just wiped their ass with
>>
>>1012932
>one "brick" cracks
"Get your sledgehammers out lads, we're going to have to redo the whole path from scratch"
>>
>>1016258
Like stealing.
>>
>>1014936
Why is he flying the trans pride flag on it though? Damn degenerate.
>>
>>1016726
...it means you look like a cow?
>>
>>1016784
Yes, that's the point.

The IR component of the sunlight heats the water, and the vacuum prevents that heat from being conducted away from the water.
>>
>>1012008
There's a reason why enameled copper wire is mainly used in real transformers. That diy transformer probably has 5% or less efficiency.
>>
>>1015886
They could also have adjusted the differential controller to stop heating the tank water at a lower temp, if it was an indirect system
>>
>>1016953

I love how a bunch of people are talking about better ways of building a welder like they could find all that shit out in the congo.

>enameled copper is better

Well ship them some then. They were lucky to have the cardboard spare to separate the winding
>>
>>1015921

Compression does heat anything it compresses due to the work being applied to the object, but that is only a small fraction of where the heat comes from.

Actually the heat didn't come from anywhere, it was just compressed into a smaller volume.

Think of a cube of any measure holding a unit of air at certain temperature. That air is carrying some amount of energy, which is dependent of the surroundings. Lets say I compress the air in the cube to half its volume. So in half the original volume, we have the same amount of energy. So how does that translate to human?, the air gets "hotter".

So an AC works like this.
1.- You compress air
2.- It "heats up" (concentrates the energy in a smaller volume)
3.- Since the air is now hotter than the surrounding, the surroundings takes the heat off the air until it has the same temperature of the surroundings.
4.- The air is expanded, and the since the air now has less energy, it is colder.

Now in the case of the bottles in the wall. Air comes to the outside of the wall, it gets compressed into the bottle neck so it heats up a little, the bottles take some of this energy, so the total energy of the air diminishes; then the air comes out and expands, and since it has less energy, it is colder.
>>
>>1016640
>steak
>>
>>1017090
>Actually the heat didn't come from anywhere, it was just compressed into a smaller volume.

Yes, it did. The work of compression generates the heat.

While, yes, there is more energy per unit of volume after you've compressed the air, there is also more _air_ per unit of volume. It has nothing to do with how much space the energy is distributed across, but how much mass.

The work done by the compressor increases the total energy in the mass of gas, and, therefore, the temperature.

And again, the compression you get from wind blowing into the end of a bottle is next to nothing. Worse, because of the rapid compression and expansion of the air, the process is going to be much closer to adiabatic than isothermal; little heat will be lost from the working fluid. Between this and the aforementioned negligible compression, I'd hazard a guess that you would have trouble measuring a decrease in temperature even with laboratory-grade equipment. This is hippie wankery, nothing more.
>>
>>1015873
>When you compress air, it heats up.
>When you uncompress air, it cools down.
>Dunno really why, but thats the way it works.
Just look up "Ideal Gas Law" and you'll have a great explanation. Learned about that shit in chemistry, rather than physics, myself.
>>
>>1016640
>>1016653
I think the stake was originally only meant to pin the vampire, so they would die of starvation or burn up in the sun.
>>
>>1014936
This guy could be from San Francisco and you wouldn't be able to spot a difference, it's a small world when you think about it.
>>
>>1014514
Salt and concrete dont play nice.
>>
>>1017256

Why don't you tell that to my concrete house and raw unpainted retaining wall that have been here since the 50's with waves crashing against the wall.
>>
File: 1394628571063.jpg (163 KB, 746x664) Image search: [Google]
1394628571063.jpg
163 KB, 746x664
Pic related was one of my favorite posts on /diy/.

It's a .22 gun made from a hammer, paint roller, a nail, visegrips, a socket wrench, and a potato.

The .22 round sat in a sabot made from a potato, and a socket for a wrench acted as the chamber.
To fire you pulled the hammer back and let it swing.
>>
>>1018846

That looks like a tree limb, not a potato. But 10/10
>>
>>1018876
The potato is not visible in the pic.

The potato was used as a sabot to hold the .22lr
>>
>>1017261
Not to mention the old German submarine pens in France.
>>
>>1018876
>not knowing what a sabot is
>>
File: 381815.jpg (114 KB, 1024x550) Image search: [Google]
381815.jpg
114 KB, 1024x550
>>1018846
Oh boy, that reminds me of pic related and this:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning!
>>
>>1012008
He's an ork mech boy lol
>>
>>1019050
Aren't we all one at heart?
>>
>>1013806
holy fuck.
>scooter
>5 foot travel distance before having to push again
>feet high off the ground making you have to travel farther to just reach the ground
>only time this thing shines is down hill
>Have to later push it back up hill
Honestly it just seems like a burden
>>
>>1012648
>>1012647

The tank is at the top, as hot water rises. As it gets hot it's less dense, so "floats" on the cold water, meaning that it moves up to the tank. The cold water then flows down to replace it. The same reason that water in a pan makes currents as it's heated, if you want to see more it's called convection.

The vacuum is just to prevent energy loss to the air. The energy enters the tube as light, which passes through the vacuum easily. It is then absorbed and heats the water. By putting a vacuum the heat is then trapped, where as without there could be losses to heat moving to the air touching the pipes. This is the same as a thermos. The point of the vacuum is to prevent contact conduction of heat.
>>
>>1011515

>Not hard to prevent damage
>Not hard

Either way I wouldn't even risk damaging my dick...

Also
>Needing extra girth
>>
>>1019179
We've already been over this.

I don't NEED to be bigger (I'm already pretty big). I just like going bigger.
>>
>>1019315

You said 7.5 inches.

Length is nothing without girth
>>
>>1019329
I got girth too.
>>
>>1016786

There are several third world religions that prohibit eating or drinking with the hand you wipe with.

Not to mention it's the cultural norm in most unsanitary conditions in the third world.

Considering you've more than likely got particles of scat in your hair, I'd say take the log out of your own eye.

Most westerners that shower, wash their face and hair last. I'm sure you'll try to convince me that you don't.

I'm pretty sure you do though, when tested by scientists over 90% of people had microbes associated with the anus in their armpit hair and head hair. Along with microscopic particles of shit.

Now has the other shoe has dropped? Those filthy sandniggers with their sand showers, and wiping with one hand and eating and performing tasks with the other. Pretty sure they're not walking around with a coat of shit all over their bodies.

Now you've read this, deal with your hair first, arse last, don't be like the scatophile I'm responding to.
>>
>>1019342
>wiping with one hand and eating and performing tasks with the other
>TFW they never touch anything with their left hand
>>
>>1019348

They shake non believers hands with that hand.
>>
File: animated renamon blinking.gif (116 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
animated renamon blinking.gif
116 KB, 640x480
>>1019342
>Most westerners that shower, wash their face and hair last.

Not that guy but...is...is this true?

I've always washed my hair, put conditioner on, then washed everything else while the conditioner sits.
>>
>>1019426
the fact is everyone does it differently, dont listen to anyone who claim he know how everyone showers, nobody knows and nobody can know
>>
>>1019426

I first shampoo then scrub the body after cleaning my hair because then I'd be going bottom up instead of top down.

For a human top down is for maximum cleanliness.

Limo drivers go bottom up for some reason but I can't tell you why.

I am not a limo though so it is the human way for me
>>
>>1019342

I probably have microscopic particles of shit all over me most of the time because my primary tool is a weedwacker.

That said I wash my hair and face first and then my body because my face is very sensitive so I tackle that first.

I have been to India and those fuckers use their left hand like any other regular human being.

Shifting with their left
Lifting bags with their left
Lifting lumber with both
Lifting their kids with both

Shit transfers bro.
>>
>>1019022
MADMAN
A
D
M
A
N
>>
>>1014936
See this sort of thinking is just freaking smart. If you gotta go the distance might as well make it easy on yourself. When I think about it I guess most first world people would just load the equipment in their truck and drive it to the location. Gotta admit I'd rather do it this way though just for shits n giggles
>>
>>1016554
it's a lot faster working on hip level and getting the stones delivered at hip level
>>
>>1019592

>first world people would just load the equipment in their truck and drive it to the location.

The walk behind tractor is their truck.

They don't do it for shits and giggles. They do it because that is what they had to do.

If they could afford a range rover to take them from their house to their vinyard and then the 10 ton tractor to plow their acres then they would have all of that.
>>
>>1014471
fuck off curry nigger
>>
>>1019426
Totally do. Really don't care too much since at least we wash.
>>
>>1018846
>>1019022

Somebody call the ATF!
>>
>>1012141
Chances are, you see that everyday if it's not available
>>
>>1013803
We have and do. Where do you think they learned it?
>>
>>1019094
If you have to carry something heavy downhill putting it on the scooter might be useful I guess, since you run it down the hill, unload, then bring the unloaded one back up the hill.
>>
>>1011035
Any prepper movement videos from youtube will teach you these things.
>>
>>1019022
>le diy ak :^)
literally the only "DIY" part about it was the outermost part of the receiver, which is just a rolled flat piece of metal.

All the bits inside, from the bolt to the charging handle to the barrel to the handguard and pistol grip, were from a rather high-end kit. And AKs are designed to not really have much in the receiver itself that guides anything. It's literally just a box to house everything else.
>>
>>1012008
Oh my god that's ingenious
>>
>>1012926
Saw a thing a few years ago that hospitals were going to start using copper door handles and push panels to reduce the transmission of diseases.
>>
>>1019342
Can't get me pajeet, I always wash my butthole with a bidet and then finger it with wet wipes like I was married to and then bidet again. My butthole is clean enough to eat out of (no homo.)
>>
>>1019774
As long as the second one isnt full auto (which I doubt it isnt), both of those are perfectly legal to build and possess in the US. If it is full auto, the ATF is comin' a kockin'.
>>
>>1019426
IDK about the about fecal material, but the bacteria that are prevalent in poo are in lots of places, including ones that have been cleaned
what makes poo special is the high density of those microbes and the fact it's also toxic to many forms of life
>>
>>1020839
>to start
they already do. it's mandartory in australia to use self sterilizing door handles in any bio risk area. brass is best but steel is harder wearing so they use that more often.

>>1020917
also life cycle. some things need to be incubated in a human digestive system to have maximum impact. tape worms for example need to be incubated in a pigs stomach then a humans then to eat that poop then it can get into your brain.
>>
>>1016732
Copper is a heavy metal. It fucks with your body in too large doses, please be careful, using untreated copper pots or untreated copper pipes can lead to heavy metal poisoning.

When you see "copper pots" they're almost always treated on the inside with some material that keeps the contents out of direct contact with the metal.
>>
>>1011042
Fucking niggers and their retarded, mudshit technology.
>>
>>1012932
This is actually a fairly common practice in everywhere. Stamping concrete is cheaper then placing brick and leaves a more even finish as well. I'd prefer stamped brick over janky-ass cobblestone sidewalks anyday
>>
File: 1466784491340.jpg (122 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1466784491340.jpg
122 KB, 640x640
>>1012008
Those beads look like SHIT!!
>>
>>1014936
Fuckin Mongolian hipsters man
>>
>>1013806
Radical
>>
>>1019663
J kɴow cock suckeR J wᴀs poJɴtJɴG out How Jt wᴀs ᴀ tHJRd woRMd Jdeᴀ ʙecᴀuse Jɴ mʏ mJɴd Jt mᴀde peRғect seɴse. tHeɴ J ReᴀMJzed J Guess Jt Jt's kJɴdᴀ tHJRd woRMd. Mooks ғuɴ ᴀs ғuck tHouGH
>>
>>1020582
What about the drill?
>>
>>1016554
No, they are just picking up the ones that spilled out to add back to the machine. The machine sorts the bricks into the pattern that spits out.
Google for videos of these machines working and you will see.
>>
>They send us garbage .. we send them music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDQ6c_bLr2o
>>
>>1021791
the picture and the link are two different things, hence the link saying SHOVEL-AK, and the picture being neither
>>
>>1012946
If you do this you better supplement with zinc or shit will get fucked up
>>
>>1013806
AWESOME
>>
>>1014525
That's fucked up man
>>
>>1014525
Yo in Israel they pretty much wiped out their mosquito problem by planting eucalyptus groves to suck up the swamps and putting Gambusia fish in water sources https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambusia
>>
>>1015921
If what you are saying is correct, then wouldn't the whole contraption work a lot better by using a material that absorbs heat more, like thick aluminum instead of plastic?
>>
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/04/26/almost-free-garage-heat-just-drink-a-lot-of-soda/
>>
>>1021911

Technically, yes. If you had something to better remove the heat produced at the neck of the bottle and transfer it to the surrounding atmosphere to be taken away by the wind, it would be more efficient.

But it doesn't matter. The compression ratio is so low that it's not going to produce any appreciable (and, I suspect, even measureable) effect, even with ideal materials.

If it worked like it says it did, a fucking wall or any other object in the wind would get noticeably warmer as the air hits it, gets compressed, transfers heat to the object, and then is blown away, slightly cooler than before.

But it doesn't work that way, and thank god it doesn't, otherwise you could set things on fire with a leaf blower.
>>
>>1021908

It's not all that bad really.

It has been easier living with all that vs the bullshit I had to deal with when I spent time in england and then the US.
>>
>>1021909

We have no flat land and it is a tropical climate so the only way for us to truly eradicate mosquitos is to chop down the jungles that hold up the mountains.

Live and dead foliage collect enough water to breed enough mosquitoes for them to be a natural menace.

Though that said we get by happily it is warm enough to warrant a fan at night and that is all you need to keep them away and no one lives in a dark basement as basements are a rarity. Most houses are bright and airy so during the day you are fine.
>>
>>1022322

Also we have a fish that we use in ponds and other areas that we locally call million fish as the breed quickly.
>>
>>1013806
https://youtu.be/wEok80BBuj4
>>
>>1021027
they are poor as fuck, if you were that poor you would be selling your ass for bread. These niggers are not like murrican niggers, these niggers are slightly non-worse at least have a shitty low tech made by themselves.
>>
>>1021076

So do the fingers on his left hand. Guess even black skin isn't as good as welding gloves.
>>
>>1021027
You do realise if a westerner was building that stove he would spend three weeks trying to choose the color it should be and then settle on galvanised steel
>>
>>1012647
Where does it get the water from? Is it attached to plumping or do you have to pack water and fill a reservoir?
>>
>>1013806
>goes to a place with looms and cars
>finds a bike made of wood
>calls it inovation
>>
>>1013806
>CNN goes to Rwanda to see a teenager build a toy.
>Then spends less then a minute on mentioning Rwanda's Olympic cycling team.

Fantastic bit of journalism.
>>
File: tetris.jpg (102 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
tetris.jpg
102 KB, 1200x700
Slav technology: recycling styrofoam into insulation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbDyOR0u44g
>>
>>1021027
>>>/b/
>>
>>1022656
wasn't even a bike, it was a razor scooter
Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.