[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can an IR dongle like this be used to read (and then possibly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 8594047311165.MAIN.jpg (535 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
8594047311165.MAIN.jpg
535 KB, 1500x1500
Can an IR dongle like this be used to read (and then possibly decode) a remote control signal?
>>
If you have to ask, you won't be able to make it happen unless the software to do so already exists.
>>
i've done this using the sound card, as have others, so there is documentation for doing it that way. also, there's at least one instructables.com project using the serial port, if you still have such a thing.

offhand i dont know of any projects using USB receivers. presumably someone would have to write their own driver, which requires major skillz.
>>
>>1010427
You can decode IR from a remote using arduino and the IR sensor. Costs less than 3$.
>>
>>1011886
or you can always get a raspberry pi
>>
Not unless a) The remote acts as a IrDA device b) it offloads the signal processing to the CPU c) the controler and DSP can be reprogrammed.
(a) is rare as shit, (b) and (c) are outside your ability.
Either do the soundcard thing or buy a dongle designed for it.
Or use WiFi/Bluetooth and a smartphone app.
>>
>>1010427

Yes.

I'd do it for five grand, but not a penny less
>>
>>1011886
This. Pretty simple and super cheap. Buy arduino clone and rip the sensor out of some old dvd or whatever.

>>1011887
...but why?
>>
>>1011887
That's really overkill and more of a hassle than an arduino.
>>
http://www.lirc.org/irda.html
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.