[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I bought this motorcycle and the PO had at some point broke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: moto_under_vehicle.gif (2 MB, 434x248) Image search: [Google]
moto_under_vehicle.gif
2 MB, 434x248
So I bought this motorcycle and the PO had at some point broke off the left mirror and """repaired""" it with JB weld. It snapped off when I went to adjust it. The mirror assembly is threaded on one end M10-1.25 to be precise, I have a nut that will fit. It would normally thread into a (plastic) boltplate to the lights control switch assembly but it's fucked. The handlebar has some space, it's about 3/4" around or whatever that is in metric sizes.

So my ideas so far, get a pipe clamp or conduit strap on the handlebars, but I feel like this would vibrate around the axis of the handlebars unless it was perfect. Its a metric bike so no construction hardware would fit perfectly and I'd have to drill them out to fit the 10mm thread.

I could also attempt the same route as the last guy, bore out the old hole in the light switch assembly and JB weld a nut in there but that failed last time and I want a faster solution than waiting for JB weld to cure forever.

Friend suggested having shop weld a nut to the bars but I feel like no reputable shop would do that or they'd charge like 60$.

I''m looking for a quick and easy and inexpensive solution, it''s a beater bike so it doesn't need to be pretty, just needs to work. State law says I have to have two mirrors and I don't like doing 180 head checks everytime I merge left.

Any ideas? I asked /o/ but they're all hayabusa bros that don't jury rig nothing. Pic related as you can see how the mirror is screwed into the switch assembly and how they can break off, if you're not familiar with them.
>>
Longer term - grab a set of bar end mirrors off fleabay for $10..... Wait a week from chong kong.
Alternately, drill the switch block, get a spiral thread repair, jamb that in. Done.
Dont weld the fucking handlebars anon. Dont weld the fucking handlebars. Many shouldnt be drilled either, as some such as alu bars have structural integrity issues that result in fun things like the bars folding when a larger force is applied. Like when your trying like fuck to stop in time when some dead shit in a hyundai pulls out 20m infront, and your doing a buck 20. Then your right side bar folds forward as its alu and some fag po drilled it for a switch block.
> consider that greentext btw.
>>
>>1009984
Bar-end mirrors are as bad as no mirrors, you have to take your eyes off the road and down on the pavement 3 feet away to use them. Also newer versions of my bike have their mirrors mounted on separate clamp/ bracket things and they cost like 7$ but I don't want to wait and there isn't much space on the bars with the old-style switch block to mount one.

Drilling out the switch block to run the threaded end, then secured with a nut sounds like it might work though. I wonder if the plastic would hold up though. Actually sounds like my best bet.
>>
>>1009989
Nevermind, drilling the switch block just broke a hole in the assembly, it was fucked up under all that JB weld. Gonna try a conduit strap.
>>
Depends on the end mirrors. I bought a set as the stockies were too narrow for my elbows (big shoulders). See more via them than my elbow mirrors.

Best bet is buy a new switch block. Honestly id do a dodgy with your jb (rapidfix here) until a switchblock rocked up.
That said, i did ride to work for 4 weeks with my clutch side footpeg 1cm long, thanks to it fucking snapping off. Just dont weld or drill the fucking bars.
>>
>>1009984
I went to bar end mirrors for better visibility. They made a huge difference. So much easier to see what's behind. No more having to look under the armpit.
>>
Straps too big, fuck it I'm lashing it to the bars with bailing wire.
>>
Fuck it. Just duct tape your shaving mirror on there anon. Alt snap a mirror off a tarago and duct tape that shit on too
>>
+1 for bar end mirrors from Amazon or fleabay. Its weird your state requires you to have two mirrors? Cant see why really. My state requires you to have 1 mirror. But they don't require you to actually be able to see out of that mirror. Litearlly the dumbest law ever (aside from our 1000 dollar per wheelie tickets)

I got a beater bike too OP feels good being able to ride but not giving a fuck someones looking at you because your motorcycle looks like something from madmax.
>>
File: OSBarMirror.jpg (76 KB, 727x545) Image search: [Google]
OSBarMirror.jpg
76 KB, 727x545
>>1010005
just ride with one mirror for a week dude 99% cops wont notice shit. I rode without front blinkers in cali for yrs and no cop ever noticed. also you could literally zip tie a mirror on just to meet regs. random google pic related
>>
>>1010315
REQUIRES BLINKERS.

but you can lane split...

California is fucking weird. they say Florida is fucking strange, but California makes up some weird ass laws.
>>
OP here. If anybody still cares, I got a conduit clamp like in this picture, drilled out the top hole for the mirror, threaded on a nut with a lock washer and clamped it to the bars. I wrapped it in electrical tape to match the handlebars and for stickiness.

It somehow is dampened against vibration perfectly, better than the OEM mirror. It did rotate on the axis of the bar but only from wind, I fixed that issue with a ziptie.

Maybe my best jury rigged """repair""" yet.
>>
Fml this kinda clamp.
>>
>>1010315
I'm petty sure in AZ you don't even need mirrors, just a headlight.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.